Am I in remission after only 10 weeks?

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Mighi - please ascertain what your medical records say, regarding diabetes. It IS importan, even for things like travel insurance. Often the questions is, have you ever been diagnosed with diabetes? (Or such like)

Answering that in a way that doesn’t match your medical records can invalidate any insurance you have paid for - after the point of diagnosis (or not).

personally, I think your next steps are either to access your medical records, or speak to your Doc.

So I was never diabetic? My signature tells my story.
Sorry I can’t read your signature as it’s dark blue text on a black background. If a dr diagnosed you with diabetes then you were diabetic. The OPs dr has said they are not diabetic.

@Mighi - please ascertain what your medical records say, regarding diabetes. It IS importan, even for things like travel insurance. Often the questions is, have you ever been diagnosed with diabetes? (Or such like)

Answering that in a way that doesn’t match your medical records can invalidate any insurance you have paid for - after the point of diagnosis (or not).

personally, I think your next steps are either to access your medical records, or speak to your Doc.
The second blood test hba1c came back as non-diabetic no further action needed and that is what is on my medical records and I was never on any medication and was asked to lower the a1c by low carb/low sugar diet and weight loss which I did within 8 week - 10 weeks it went right down to normal......but I am looking at it as remission and keeping numbers under control with diet and still am of the opinion that I am a T2 regardless but at 73 it matters not a lot x

I had a hba1c end of July which came back 55 (7.1) at the time I had lost a couple stones due to bereavement and my gp told me I was a T2 diabetic and low carb low sugar diet would help no meds yet till second hba1c confirmed it in october, I continued to loose weight slowly altogether I have lost around 3 stones and still loosing around 1 or 2 kgs a month ~ Second hba1c came back 41 with across the top non diabetic no further treatment necessary........ my question is was/am I diabetic or am I in remission?
In the present state of knowledge if you have had a secure diagnosis of Type 2 Diabetes you will always be diabetic. And in those circumstances you will never have a 'non-diabetic' HbA1c - just one that reflects your level of control. The phrase 'no further treatment necessary' is particularly ridiculous since the causes of Type 2 are not known and no 'treatment' of it is possible. Just more or less successful control/ management of the symptoms.
The concept of Remission of Type 2 Diabetes is a highly controversial novel idea. Many Endocrinologists and Diabetologists reject it and will only allow the phrase, 'Remission of Hyperglycemia' ( getting bgs down) since the fundamentals, genes, metabolic syndrome, insulin resistance remain the same.

Last edited:
Those numbers are only relevant in a diagnostic test situation. If securely dxed T2 they are no longer relevant.

Yes, I know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back