Am I expecting non-endo HCP's to know too much about Type 1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think my only poor experience was with a nurse at a pre-op assessment who insisted on giving me instructions about my “morning” and “evening” insulins for the day of the op, and had no concept of MDI or basal/bolus. My surgery diabetes nurse told me that wasn’t at all unusual among hospital nurses.

Oh, and the surgery pharmacist doing a medication review who asked if I knew how to deal with a hypo. “I should hope so after 27 years!” I said. But he still insisted I tell him

Oh, and the surgery pharmacist doing a medication review who asked if I knew how to deal with a hypo. “I should hope so after 27 years!” I said. But he still insisted I tell him
That reminds me of the only "diabetes review" I had with the DSN at my GP surgery. always have an annual review with the endo clinic so usually decline the GP's invitation for more but one year I thought I should find out what I am missing out on for the previous 16 years. She asked me how many units of Lantus I used in my pump and whether I had ever had a hypo. To the latter question I told here that anyone with Type 1 who said they had never had a hypo in 16 years was either lying or was running their BG far too high.
Since then, I take the bi-annual offer of HBA1c tests with my surgery but decline the invite for a follow up appointment.

I have a really clued up Diabetes nurse at the GP surgery and I get my 6 monthly reviews with her including feet and BP checks. She knows that I know more about my diabetes management than she does and she is totally accepting of that but she is interested in learning and we have a really good rapport. I can then just have an annual telephone appointment with my consultant, so I find the GP nurse appointments useful in that they save me going into the hospital clinic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back