1. Welcome to the Diabetes UK Forum
    Dismiss Notice

Am I eating enough

Discussion in 'The Weight Loss Group' started by Jodee, May 9, 2019.

1. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Relationship to Diabetes:
    Type 2
    Getting more into the salads and protein now Drummer and the low carb bread 5g a slice. I managed to get down to 6.1 mmol the other day but this morning back up to 11 and 13 mmol, however before dinner tonight I was down to 9.1 mmol and just had chicken salad and 1 slice of the 5g carb bread. Getting sore fingers.

Ditto likes this.
  2. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Are you changing the lancet for each test? I know some people reuse them many times, but I am a musician, I only use them once just in case - and they are not expensive.
    Also. don't use the part of the pad which - for instance, contacts the keys when typing, go to the side or lower down.
    It does take time to get back to normal, it is not just switch to low carb and all is well next day - but in three months it can mean a Hba1c no longer in the diabetes range, even when - like me - the start is rather high.

Jodee likes this.
  3. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hi Drummer

Thanks for your reply. Yes I am using a new lancet every time and yes the sides of the middle and ring fingers. No I understand switching to low carb won't be back to normal in a short space of time but I had hoped there will be some improvement after a month. Hoping because I went on the Metformin 2 weeks ago and am seeing the diabetic nurse again on 6 June, she said she may have to up the dose, but I don't think she is doing another HbA1c test before then. Oh well. I said to the doc I didn't want to go on the statin until I know what the BG meds are doing and asked to be retested in 6 months. it was the LDL that was higher than the HDL so I need to get them better into balance and preferably raise the HDL. i aM thinking that happened because of the high glucose. Any way I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. I would really prefer not to increase the metformin dose if only after a month nothing is going to make any difference.

4. Leonora

Leonora Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Hi Jodee. I eat fish and chips on Fridays - my true love! Only a small portion because it puts my sugars up. That's why I fast on Saturdays, to allow my body to get over it. It seems to work 'cause my last hba1c was 36. Yoohoo! However, in answer to your question I don't eat out because I no longer trust restaurant food. I do eat at friend's houses because there's always protein and plenty of salads. Hope that helps.

Jodee likes this.
  5. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    That's great Leonora, I love fish n chips, but I am thinking while my bG is high must avoid perhaps when I have got it down lower I can do a monthly fish n chips :p I can't imagine doing a fast day, I am good for nothing without food.

6. trophywench

trophywench Well-Known Member

Type 1
    Well Metformin takes up to 3weeks to have full effect, so the one tablet probably isn't doing an awful lot yet, anyway. Any increase in dosage will again take 2-3 weeks to ramp up to full effect.

Jodee likes this.
  7. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Thanks Jenny :)

8. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I think today I am eating enough. Blood glucose is coming down from 12.1 - 13.7 now around 9.7. I need to remember to eat the nuts for a snack. Here is todays menu:- (I know for a lot of you its still too many carbs, but I gotta ween myself gradually :) :p and besides my BG is headed in the right direction :) )

23/5/19 cooked porridge oats for breakfast cooked in water, 4 raspberries and
    1 bluberry mashed in from frozen. added some milk and 3 heaped teaspoons of yoghurt.

Off for a walk after breakfast ( I forgot to do the BG before breakfast )

1st BG at 12.25pm 9.7 mmol before lunch

Lunch: lemon ginger tea, half an avocado, 1 slice of Burgen bread 11g carbs, 1 slice of cheddar (square)
    1 tomato and a cup of tea (finished eating about 12.45pm)

At 2.45pm BG 9.8 mmol

3pm 1 apple - 3.25pm 2 cream crackers with hummus on

Off for another walk before dinner.

6pm 9.7 mmol

7.30pm - 8pm Dinner, chicken curry, ginger, garlic, onion with mushrooms, tomatoes, sweet pepper, carrotts,
    baby sweet corn, kale and mangetout, also 4 heaped fork full of brown rice.

I shall see what BG does 2 hours from now at 10pm

Picture of Dinner:

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 23, 2019
  9. Ditto

Ditto Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Why did you think you're not eating enough? Did somebody tell you that? I think you eat a lot! :D Good food but a lot. I eat far too much. :(

Last edited: May 28, 2019
  10. Drummer

Drummer Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Today I ate a bag of ready made sweet and crunchy salad with mozzarella cheese, Leicester cheese, a tomato, cucumber and mayonnaise, with a mug of coffee and cream, and for dinner a gammon steak with mushrooms and courgette. Two meals is all I need these days. I never even think about lunch.

Ditto and Jodee like this.
  11. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    Probably because I was hungry and not eating as much nutrients as I usually / used to do :D

Ditto likes this.
  12. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I only did BG before food this morning it was 8.4 mmol and at 10.45pm 7.7 mmol before evening choc :p
    I figured I desserve as have been working all day in the garden. Will see what BG is tomorrow morning.

Breakfast Oats as usual 25g, cooked in water, with 8 berries, splash of milk and 2 tsp yoghurt **
    Lunch: half avocado, 1 slice of Burgen, cream cheese tomatoes. walnuts, cuppa
    Dinner: ham 3 slices thin, 2 smoked cheddar slices (rounds), lettuce, toms, red pepper, cucumber
    onion and other half of avocado. + small glass of red wine.
    Evening, 1 choc biscuit + Goss choc + cuppa

** that breakfast kept me going till 2.30pm I didn't realise working in the garden.

Pic of dinner tonight below, click on thumnail for full image.

Attached Files:

13. Ditto

Ditto Well-Known Member

Type 2
    A perfect Atkins dinner. :)

14. Jodee

Jodee Well-Known Member

Type 2
    I'm not doing Atkins diet though. Just what I think is lowish carb, and what's needed to get the BG down.

29 May 2019 BG before breakfast 09.15am 6.9 mmol
    Breakfast Oats as usually same as 23 May
    BG before Lunch 5.5 mmol - Lunch 2 rashers bacon on 1 Burgen bread with brown sauce + cuppa

Can't wait for 2 hours to pass to see what the Bacon sarni does to BG.**... and then I can eat some more :p I should have had egg and bacon.

5.5 mmol is my lowest since first going on the metformin, so am happy :D

** 2 hours after 7.0mmol

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  15. Ditto

Ditto Well-Known Member

Type 2
    :D This is how I think!

Jodee likes this.