Am I being impatient

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Sheilagh

Your carb intake seems fairly controlled from what you've said. I gather some T2s find they are less tolerant of carbs in the morning... Which may be the cese for you, or may not. Frustratingly everyone's diabetes seems to have its own quirks.

M

This is quire right. When I got onto Byetta last year, I was having Weetabix most mornings but keen to tweak things, I did a week testing before and after brekkie then the same in week 2 but ditched the Weetabix (recommended by my DSN) and took up Wally corkers suggestions for alternative, carb free brekkies and saw a big improvement. The I did the same for lunches - didn't know about Burgen bread at the time so cut carbs by having crispbreads instead of bread. Again the levels came down. I don't doubt the drop in levels is partly due to the Byetta but finding what suits me personally was a contributing factor.

I am not dismissing Weetabix or porridge as a good food- they are very sustaining and, as such, recommended by dieticians but the porridge particulalry sent my levels right up. The trick is to test and refine things to suit you. I would stress that I have been diagnosed 10 years and a lot of ups and downs have been felt since then. Please don't rush yourself and get in a confused mess with all this advice - you sould determined to sort things out and are doing very well - why not make a few notes of things we are discussing for your next appointment. My lovley DSN takes everything I say (which is plenty) on board and allows me plenty of time to do this. I think I am one of the luckier ones though!

Hi there, you have done really well in a short time especially with the weight loss. I'm a bit like the dame, I take Byetta and getting to that point was a huge wake up call for me to look carefully at my diet. I still eat some carbs but have cut out a lot especially at breakfast time. I have things like eggs, tomatoes and sometimes bacon and Burgen bread. I have no doubt from testing frequently that ditching my beloved porridge for a breakfast with much fewer carbs has helped get both the BG's and the weight down. I think you would find it useful to test more regularly for a week and cut out more carbs especially at breakfast. I struggled for a while with the dawn phenomenon. I find that having an oatcake with a little butter and cheese at bedtime has made a difference. It used to always be 6.9 first thing and now its mostly 6 or less. I'm sure the drugs I take have helped me big time but my drop in numbers is so dramatic it must also be my change of diet.

From what Sheilagh has said, the morning porridge did not increase her blood sugars very much. It was the starting point which was already high that seemed to be the issue.

Am I missing something here?

Andy 🙂

Thank you everyone for you advice...................I tested again before my evening meal and it was a lot better reading of 12.2 a bit of a difference than this morning 🙂

This is forum is brilliant I would of found Diabetes 2 so much harder without all your help. :D

Andy 🙂

No I don't think so Andy. I'm always a bit hesitant to post on T2 threads as I have no hands-on experience. However if there's a 'thing' that I've seen lots of people mentioning before that hasn't cropped up sometimes I'll just wade in anyway. Always happy to be put straight by someone who knows it from the 'inside'.

Hoping that Sheilagh's levels continue to gently fall back towards normal range. 🙂

M

From what Sheilagh has said, the morning porridge did not increase her blood sugars very much. It was the starting point which was already high that seemed to be the issue.

Andy 🙂

Andy is correct my levels where high before I had even had my breakfast.

Towards the end of the day it had decreased to 12.2

and today I have started with 13.5 so a lot better than yesterday.

Just glad its going in the right direction. Looking forward to achieving under 10's

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back