alex in hospital

Status
Not open for further replies.
How's he doing now Bev? And how are you?

Hi Bev,

I'm really sorry to see this. I hope the little trooper is feeling better now. Might I suggest that you try the Silhouette sets if Alex is getting skinny? They're apparently better for the leaner induvidual (something I have no issues with haha!) as they can get into the subcutaneous fat without going too close to the muscle beneath and thus not bending, hopefully. You can get a quickserter thingy for them but I believe that there are folk who prefer to put them in manually as they know the angle which is just so.

Tom

Hey Bev, no problem that is what friends are for.

Its great Alex is doing so much better now. What a pair eh?

Jessica has been in hospital this week as well twice, once on Saturday for throwing up luminous yellow stuff and she had raised white blood cells which indicate an infection but her levels were ok so they discharged us after a day.

Then she went back in yesterday as she woke at 4.30 am with a temperature of 39.4 and levels of 19.5 which may not seem mega mega high to some if ill but for Jessica that is now highly unusual. So off we went again and we spent another day in hospital. She also has a site infection but I believe that as she isn't prone to those (never had one before) that she got that because she wasn't 100% still since Saturday. She also had a read throat. Her white blood cells were back down but this time her CRP level was too high which again indicates infection so we left there this time on two different antibiotics.

So Bev and I comforted each other. Whilst she was chasing ambulances all over Cornwall I was chatting to her from another hospital.

Still both kiddies are ok now, although I have just put Jessica back on 200% basal rate (for those who know what I am talking about).

Just out of interest to those pumpers out there, both Alex and Jessica were on 400% temp basals throughout yesterday and it worked for both of them. At one point Jessica was on about 800% but it all worked out just fine.

🙂

Really glad to hear Alex, Jessica, Bev & Adrienne are all ok or on the mend now- what nightmares!! Glad the doc in hospital was so switched on Bev - interesting to hear what he said about permission to remove pumps etc...

Hoping both kids keep getting better rapidly & feel back to normal soon so they can enjoy the rest of the hols! 🙂

Most likely not................did you have to wait long to get some?

I was in the middle of nowhere so it was about 24 hours, that's why i was so high :( I didn't eat during that 24 hours until i got myself to a hospital.

I'm sorry to hear A and J have been unwell. I hope they fully recover soon.

Good grief Adrienne and Bev! What a 24 hours.

Tom -- yes, sils seem to suit us much better, and may suit Alex. Skinniness, yes, not six pack! I think the DSN said that to make E feel better! What does seem to happen at puberty is that the already thin fat layer on skinny people just disappears. This is certainly the case our end. E not getting skinnier really, but all filling out is not fat.

We use an inserter, which looks and sounds like a tiny gun (eek) but works well. E is too nervous about the angle going wrong (and whole set therefore going wrong given our experience) to put it in by hand.

Re the high temp basals for the pump -- wow. How do you override the 200% Adrienne? I'm certain we could use this upon occasion... When E was coming down with a cold before going away, he had an uncharacteristic huge level rise and we could not fight it down quickly for love nor money on 200% plus corrections. Would not hesitate to use higher... but how?

So glad everyone feeling better, and that Alex's levels are settling Bev. Well done for that. It took us three days, as I say, so good job you.

Are you feeling okay?

Finally: yes, being high seems to be far worse for E than anything else. The utter misery is heartbreaking. I really feel for Alex.

Thanks for info re our rights and the pump. Extremely useful to know. Last time, as I say, we did have a little fight.

xxoo

Just caught up with this thread!

Blimy it must have been scary but well done for acting so quickly and thank god you had a good hospital care team. I hope he is recovering well, sending virtual hugs to you all 🙂 xx

Sorry to hear this Bev, hope Alex is recovering well (((hugs to you both)))x

Oh no, poor Alex esp on holiday but I'm pleased to know the hospital down there are very good, phew.
Get well soon, Alex

p.s what is 2 bent canulas?

It's just occured to me that they were probably going to give him some of Jacob's Cornish clotted insulin!

http://diabetespoetry.blogspot.com/2010/03/cornish-clotted-insulin.html

cornish3-1.jpg

🙂

Last edited:
Also hope Jessica get well soon, both of you mums are doing ok and its lovely to know you are both comforting each other 🙂

(By the way thank you for sharing Jessica's story)

HI all,

Thanks to all for your lovely replies and helpful suggestions. Tom, when I get back from holiday I will ring medtronic to ask for a trial of sils as it seems to suit the skinnier person. There are also new ones called 'mio's' or similiar that you dont need an inserter for I believe - so perhaps another option if the sils dont work for him.🙂

Alex seems to have recovered very quickly and you wouldnt have known he was so ill yesterday to look at him bounding around! He is playing pool in the bar with Hannah at the moment and I am suffering listening to some kiddy type song la la la la la..............😱

The thing he was most upset about was that Hannah found out yesterday that she got a place at the uni of her choice and he was upset that we all spent the day in hospital instead of celebrating. So this morning we 'pretended' that she had only just heard the news and we celebrated with a huge cooked breakfast!🙂Bev

HI all,

Thanks to all for your lovely replies and helpful suggestions. Tom, when I get back from holiday I will ring medtronic to ask for a trial of sils as it seems to suit the skinnier person. There are also new ones called 'mio's' or similiar that you dont need an inserter for I believe - so perhaps another option if the sils dont work for him.🙂

Alex seems to have recovered very quickly and you wouldnt have known he was so ill yesterday to look at him bounding around! He is playing pool in the bar with Hannah at the moment and I am suffering listening to some kiddy type song la la la la la..............😱

The thing he was most upset about was that Hannah found out yesterday that she got a place at the uni of her choice and he was upset that we all spent the day in hospital instead of celebrating. So this morning we 'pretended' that she had only just heard the news and we celebrated with a huge cooked breakfast!🙂Bev

Hi Bev good to hear Alex is back on the mend,Congratulations to Hannah hun brilliant news X

Excellent news all round Bev - well done Hannah!

Re mio: I looked them up earlier today cos of thread on pumping... And they are a 90 degree set like quickset so prob would not be suitable either if it's the skinny issue... Bummer for us too as I so like the all in one thing.

Re sils: you need to pinch up to insert, like maybe you already do w the sensors? We didn't know this and instructions bad, so had disheartening time at first...

Good luck w everything and have a fab rest of hol. What hannah going to read?

Xxoo

Re mio: I looked them up earlier today cos of thread on pumping... And they are a 90 degree set like quickset so prob would not be suitable either if it's the skinny issue... Bummer for us too as I so like the all in one thing.

Re sils: you need to pinch up to insert, like maybe you already do w the sensors? We didn't know this and instructions bad, so had disheartening time at first...

Xxoo

Now funny you should mention that Patricia but we don't pinch up anymore at all. We used to when Jessica was smaller but we don't anymore. I do sometimes when doing the sensor but not always.

I'm not sure I could pinch up on her tummy. I'm going to confirm that what I do is ok at the next clinic but we did a set change at the last clinic and I didn't get told otherwise. I guess it depends whether there is any fat there or just skin and bones maybe.

Xxoo

Hi Patricia,

Still in the bar listening to agadoo! Hannah is doing biomedicine and she just cant wait!🙂Bev

Hi,

Ive only just caught this thread- sorry for the late reply.

Im sorry to hear about Alex, Bev and Jessica also (although I had followed her on FB) and I hope he is feeling better.

Im shocked at what bad luck you've had with 2 bent cannula's, dreadful luck. The Sils as suggested sound like such a good idea to try. Ive never had a problem (that I remember anyway) with a bent cannula, as I have several bellies 😉. I also wanted to try the sils and asked for a box when I called medtronic for my last order. I didnt get them because I didnt have the MMT code for Sils, also I didnt know what size cannula I wanted to order (I sensed the lady wasnt being particually helpful) but may be good to pull that off the website before you call just incase.

Im quite taken about your experience with the good doctor who sounds like he knew his stuff and thank goodness too. Insisting that he keep the pump is of course what makes sense- and Im so glad that you wrote about that because it made me think it through a bit. I just hope if I were ever in that situation that I am able to get that message across.

Great about Hannah and Uni- you must all be really pleased. Hope there was still some time to enjoy your jollies too in the end 🙂

Lots of love xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back