After hypo blood readings

Status
Not open for further replies.
This all depends on which skittles you are referring to ... there are Fruit skittles, squishy skittles, giant vegan skittles, vegan chewy skittles etc, etc. They are different sizes.

Very true! I was sticking with the bog-standard ones, not the newer variants or giant versions :D

My gastroparesis is under control and does not have an impact on my blood sugars. I only have mild symptoms and not to the point where I have severe abdominal pain and feel sick and throw up, i don’t know how having gastro triggers hypos, I usually have hypos due to physical activity and some occasions cos of a correction bolus overworking.
I'm glad that you have the gastroparesis under control. My concern was that if you were not fully digesting (because of the gastroparesis) whatever you had bolused for, then that could result in you having too much bolus on board and that excess insulin could push you hypo.

But similar to yourself, my lows (usually into the 4s and not quite hypos) I can associate with activity that I had inadequately allowed for.

The thing about corrections, particularly after a rebound from a hypo, it is easy to make that correction too soon. Then you think the correction bolusing has 'overworked' but actually you (and I used to make the same 'not so good' choice) have been too eager to correct. It is worth holding off on that correction, unless you know your BG is sprinting up and away. I know that thanks to my CGM.
I am aware that hypos can affect us in the long run and and am very worried. I do understand when you say that being between 4 and 5 can give a person warning signs, but I have no hypo awareness until im below the 4 mark or even 3.5 mark. But if I was to avoid having a hypo running between 4 and 5 and having a nudge with some carb, then wouldn’t that cause a spike in blood sugars, further than resulting in having to give a correction and then further hypoing which has happened to me before,
If you can adjust your inner mindset to have low 6 as your bottom of range target, you would have a strong prospect of your hypo awareness symptoms recalibrating themselves to be at the low 4s. All of this could lead to you feeling you have more say in when you need to react to a low before it becomes a hypo and how strongly you need to react.
sorry I know I sound like I’m quite clueless but I’m just worried that preventing a hypo happening can lead to a spike, but as diabetics we need to remember that going above range at least 15 to 20% of the time is expected aswell. Btw I don’t use a cgm, I finger prick cos I find these sensers innaccurate and I have severe anxiety about looking at blood sugars
Now here is a major part of your problem - no CGM.

I agree with @rayray119 earlier in this thread that there are other CGMs. I really struggled with Libre 2; at first I thought I had too many from poor batches and that Abbbotts quality control system was poor. But I gradually came to accept that the problem was me - my body was incompatible with Libre. I was offered Dexcom One which was better but still not great and in frustration I started to self fund Dexcom G7; suddenly I'd found a CGM that worked with my body. My Consultant recognised I had tried and finally found a solution and the Hospital took over the funding - which was a relief. I would like to think that your anxiety would be greatly reduced if you had a a CGM that you felt you could rely on.

Do please reconsider using CGM. At least try Dexcom One+ and give that a chance; also Libre 2 is being replaced by Libre 2 plus. I feel sure there is a CGM out there that will work for you and having CGM should give you the vital bit of tech to make managing your D a bit easier. Otherwise you are akin to driving with a scarf tied overyour eyes.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back