After 15+ years… my diabetes type

Status
Not open for further replies.
You didn't mention that before.
My point was many type 1's are taken off insulin.
I’m not a type 1, and my insulin production is low. I imagine the T1s taken off insulin produce enough insulin for that to be safe because they aren’t really t1

And I did mention ketones, I said the doctors decision was “As I don’t produce much insulin and seem prone to ketones then it would be sensible to always stay on insulin”

You didn't mention that before.
My point was many type 1's are taken off insulin.

Also; the prevalence of ASD and ADHD in T1DM children and adolescents was 1.1% (95% CI: 0.8–1.5) and 5.3% (95% CI: 4.3, 6.4), respectively, both higher than the global prevalence of ASD and ADHD in the general population in 2019 (0.4 and 1.1%).

Association between type 1 diabetes and neurodevelopmental disorders in children and adolescents: A systematic review and meta-analysis

That’s not just autism, is it though? Most of my career has been working with adults and children with autism and communicating with professionals doing the same. Not one had Type 1.

You’re obsessed with stopping insulin. If you can stop insulin and stop it forever, you’re not Type 1. Moreover, for Type 1s who do make some insulin and are in the honeymoon period, having a little insulin preserves the remaining beta cells longer, so it’s a positive thing.

Type 1 children are going to have a clinical team, including psychologists, so if they have autism is more likely to be diagnosed than in the general population. I think this may well be the explanation if autism diagnosises are higher in type 1s

I imagine the T1s taken off insulin produce enough insulin for that to be safe because they aren’t really t1

That would be my thinking too.

I’ve never heard of the 30% of T1s in Europe you allude to in any of the European conferences or events I have attended @Bubbleblower both with HCPs and peer PWD events.

The only T1s I hear about who omit insulin (for complex reasons) go into DKA, potential coma, and death. I don’t think it is a helpful suggestion to make, especially for any newbies reading.

There are estimates for MODY somewhere and it certainly isn’t a huge number of people. More than that, when I had tests because they thought there was a possibility of MODY, my consultant said that even if I had had MODY, because of the time that had passed it was probable that I’d need insulin anyway and tablets wouldn’t work well enough.

So the idea that there are vast numbers of Type 1s who could just stop their insulin is wrong, to be blunt. And if that was the case, the U.K. study I referred to in the other thread would be telling us how many wrongly diagnosed Type 1s they’d taken off insulin. I haven’t seen that anywhere - because, presumably, the numbers who were misdiagnosed and can manage their MODY on tablets only is tiny.

Completely agree Inka Type 1s as you say need exogenous insulin as their Beta cells either produce very little or none.So their normal endogenous insulin needs to be supplemented or replaced and cannot be substituted by other medication or exercise/ diet apart from reducing their insulin requirements.
To suggest anything else is dangerous in the extreme and needs to be called out imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back