Advise

Status
Not open for further replies.
When was the reading taken in respect to food being consumed?
Generally a reading of 8 is not bad but if it is before a meal then ideally you would be wanting it to be between 4 and 7 and no more than 8.5 2hours after a meal... which is why the timing of the test relative to food is relevant.
If you consider that BG meters will read up to 33 and BG can go a bit higher than that although those are extremely dangerous levels, it gives you some idea of perspective and that 8.1 is not a bad number but could perhaps be a little bit better.

When was the reading taken in respect to food being consumed?
Generally a reading of 8 is not bad but if it is before a meal then ideally you would be wanting it to be between 4 and 7 and no more than 8.5 2hours after a meal... which is why the timing of the test relative to food is relevant.
If you consider that BG meters will read up to 33 and BG can go a bit higher than that although those are extremely dangerous levels, it gives you some idea of perspective and that 8.1 is not a bad number but could perhaps be a little bit better.
Thanks for reply. It was taken two hours after my breakfast.

Then you have every reason to be happy with that result. Well done! Out of curiosity, what did you have for breakfast?

I do not believe it is constructive to consider blood sugars or food as bad. Thinking you have done something bad is not great for our mental health and we need to look after our full body, not just the diabetic part.
So, I would answer your question as 8.1 is higher than recommended levels but not as high as it could be.
This page gives you some guidance about blood sugar testing: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing
It says,

If you have type 2 diabetes

• before meals: 4 to 7mmol/l
  • two hours after meals: less than 8.5mmol/l
If you have been recently diagnosed, remember managing type 2 is a journey - don't expect perfection on day 1 (or 2) and take care not to lower your levels too fast as that can cause troubles.

Another fan of marmite and boiled eggs. Happy to be part of this strange group!

I do not believe it is constructive to consider blood sugars or food as bad. Thinking you have done something bad is not great for our mental health and we need to look after our full body, not just the diabetic part.
So, I would answer your question as 8.1 is higher than recommended levels but not as high as it could be.
This page gives you some guidance about blood sugar testing: https://www.diabetes.org.uk/guide-to-diabetes/managing-your-diabetes/testing
It says,

If you have been recently diagnosed, remember managing type 2 is a journey - don't expect perfection on day 1 (or 2) and take care not to lower your levels too fast as that can cause troubles.

It's an excellent result.
8.1 two hours after a meal.

Well within the guidelines.

Sounds good to me.
It's be interesting to see what the result is 3 hours as well, as when I have a lot of carbs and see values > 7 after 2 hours, it seems to fall right back down to the 5s by the 3 hour mark.

I had a slice of whole meal toast with marmite and boiled egg strange but I like the 2 together. ☺️

Very nice, could eat marmite straight out of jar but prefer it on toast.

Try toasting on one side then spread other side with butter marmite then top with cheese & sprinkle with some black pepper, grill then then you have perfect combination.

It says,

Why do you say “8.1 is higher than recommended levels”? It’s not it’s below the target of 8.5 at 2 hrs after a meal

Another member of the marmite goes extremely well with eggs club! (And many other foods of course)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back