advice on reversing diabetes .type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh dear.
Very selective reading then.
It's literally in the link you posted to Unwin.

Here is another gem from Unwin for you to think about.

"Healthy fats are fine in moderation…"
Not so much as it's in the supplementals and not the main article.. also there's no claim they are "unhealthy" that was purely you.. and we need to decide which are the healthy" fats of course..
Nothing about saturated fats being bad for you there...

Not so much as it's in the supplementals and not the main article.. also there's no claim they are "unhealthy" that was purely you.. and we need to decide which are the healthy" fats of course..
Nothing about saturated fats being bad for you there...

Whatever you choose to see........
We're all different if your diet works for you, you don't need to justify it.

Whatever you choose to see........
We're all different if your diet works for you, you don't need to justify it.
I chose to read what was written.

When cooking bacon I boil it for a minute or so to start off with, then sieve it out, rinse off and then fry - that removes a lot of the preservative chemicals, which are very soluble.

Yes he's head of the MRI department i.e Type 2 Diabetes is not his day job.
I think he's a bit more than head of MRI...

Professor Roy Taylor: MB ChB, BSc Hons, MRCP MD, FRCP, FRCPE

Professor of Medicine and Metabolism, University of Newcastle and Honorary Consultant Physician, Newcastle Acute Hospitals NHS Trust

And definitely follow Unwin's advice here regardless of how you start out.
It's good advice (mostly) for a maintenance diet.

"Eat healthy proteins… Try basing your meals on non-processed meat like chicken or red meat, eggs (three eggs a day is not too much), fish – particularly oily fish such as salmon, mackerel or tuna –are fine and can be eaten freely. Plain full fat yoghurt makes a good breakfast with the berries. Processed meats such as bacon, ham, sausages or salami are not as healthy and should only be eaten in moderation"

"All green veg/salads are fine…Eat as much of these as you can –turn the white stuff green"

"Cheese only in moderation… It’s a very calorific mixture of fat, and protein."

I doubt anyone would disagree with that for a maintenance diet, avoid unhealthy meats, eat veg and salads, and watch the calories.

Mind you if you do actually reverse it, obviously any food is back on, but I still avoid unhealthy fats and processed foods like bacon ham and salami as he suggests.
(I do have a weak spot for a decently made sausage, so long as I watch the calories (mainly by looking in the mirror!) it's fine)
very sensible! Remember to eat enough protein too. I had a brief consult with a dietician and she told me to try to eat 90g of lean class 1 protein a day (i was ony managing 60g). It makes a difference. I added two more eggs to hit that. I do eat too much cheese but i love cheese...and bacon and black pudding. I might add that my lipids are fine apart from my trigs but i'm taking omega 3,6 9 for that.

very sensible! Remember to eat enough protein too. I had a brief consult with a dietician and she told me to try to eat 90g of lean class 1 protein a day (i was ony managing 60g). It makes a difference. I added two more eggs to hit that. I do eat too much cheese but i love cheese...and bacon and black pudding. I might add that my lipids are fine apart from my trigs but i'm taking omega 3,6 9 for that.

Chickpeas (in a curry)
Kidney beans (chilli)
Black beans (chilli)
Quinoa
Oats
Broad beans (in everything)
Oily fish
Chicken
Turkey recently

All seen to work for me.

can anyone or the team explain to me
if I were to loose 3 stone & bring my weight to my ideal bmi
would this reverse type 2 ? & eat healthy every day for 1 yr
how long would it take to or the blood sugar to drop & blood test to show normal
plz explain but my long term goal is to eat healthy for rest of my life & exercise & have a healthy lifestyle
to inc rest & relaxation & looking after the mind & the body
update to all,the consultant called me today from oncology/ for my high cholesterol & said there is good evidence that if I can reduce my weight to 12 stone or loose 25kg that I can put my diabetes into remission ( I still need to exercise & my goal or plan is low carb / low fat diet ) so I see in 3 months then 6 months I am working on it & I m,ade the most important thing the start on my new healthy lifestyle

update to all,the consultant called me today from oncology/ for my high cholesterol & said there is good evidence that if I can reduce my weight to 12 stone or loose 25kg that I can put my diabetes into remission ( I still need to exercise & my goal or plan is low carb / low fat diet ) so I see in 3 months then 6 months I am working on it & I m,ade the most important thing the start on my new healthy lifestyle
Good job, go for it!!

Good plan.

Once you start it, don't be swayed to chop and change it, it takes a while for your body to settle down to the new regime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back