advice on reversing diabetes .type 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
can anyone or the team explain to me
if I were to loose 3 stone & bring my weight to my ideal bmi
would this reverse type 2 ? & eat healthy every day for 1 yr
how long would it take to or the blood sugar to drop & blood test to show normal
plz explain but my long term goal is to eat healthy for rest of my life & exercise & have a healthy lifestyle
to inc rest & relaxation & looking after the mind & the body

It depends, but you should read Roy Taylor’s book ‘Life Without Diabetes’ to have an understanding of the mechanics 😉

It depends, but you should read Roy Taylor’s book ‘Life Without Diabetes’ to have an understanding of the mechanics 😉
thanks for this information. I have just googled and this link came up with his suggested diet plan

He even suggests making your own meal replacement shakes as an alternative to the powdered ones

The teacake shake​

Calories 181

200ml skimmed milk
2 tbsp skimmed milk powder
2 pitted prunes (10g)
1 tsp ground allspice
zest of 1 small orange, or 1-2 drops orange essence

1. Place all ingredients in a blender and blitz.

Peanut butter & banana shake​

Calories 210

200ml skimmed milk
1½ tbsp skimmed milk powder
½ a small banana, 40g (frozen banana will make a thicker shake)
1 tsp smooth peanut butter (no added sugar variety)
½-1 tsp stevia sweetener

1. Place all ingredients in the blender and blitz for 10 seconds until smooth.

Blueberry pancake shake​

Calories 182

200ml skimmed milk
50g frozen blueberries
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½-1 tsp stevia sweetener (optional)

Choc-mint shake​

Calories 197

200ml skimmed milk
2 tsp dark cocoa powder
2-3 fresh mint leaves (or 1-2 drops mint essence)
½-1 tsp stevia sweetener

1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.

Should be noted that Roy Taylor is a Medical Professor at Newcastle Uni Medical School - not just some random other chap called Roy T!
Yep, I assumed people would know! also responsible for the DiRect Trial etc…

He even suggests making your own meal replacement shakes as an alternative to the powdered ones

The teacake shake​

Calories 181

200ml skimmed milk
2 pitted prunes (10g)
1 tsp ground allspice
zest of 1 small orange, or 1-2 drops orange essence

Peanut butter & banana shake​

Calories 210

200ml skimmed milk
½ a small banana, 40g (frozen banana will make a thicker shake)
1 tsp smooth peanut butter (no added sugar variety)
½-1 tsp stevia sweetener

1. Place all ingredients in the blender and blitz for 10 seconds until smooth.

Blueberry pancake shake​

Calories 182

200ml skimmed milk
50g frozen blueberries
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½-1 tsp stevia sweetener (optional)

Choc-mint shake​

Calories 197

200ml skimmed milk
2 tsp dark cocoa powder
2-3 fresh mint leaves (or 1-2 drops mint essence)
½-1 tsp stevia sweetener

1. Place all the ingredients in a blender and blitz until smooth.

Hi Jenny have you attended a DESMOND course? There is an explanation about cows milk metabolised in the body including carb and sugar content that diabetics should be aware of.

Here is a list of carb and sugar content of dairy and nut milks. The Almond Breeze milk is very low in carbs and sugar.

In addition its recommended to eat whole / real food rather than too many liquid foods as these metabolise more quickly to glucose in the blood stream and can result in spikes. an example, rather than orange juice eat the whole orange, then water to drink if you are thirsty.

Last edited:
Hi Jenny have you attended a DESMOND course? There is an explanation about cows milk metabolised in the body including carb and sugar content that diabetics should be aware of.

Here is a list of carb and sugar content of dairy and nut milks. The Almond Breeze milk is very low in carbs and sugar.

I attended a Desmond course previously, and I still drink skimmed milk…and my Diabetes is in Remission…

It's the fat that's the issue.
Skimmed milk is fine, I reversed my diabetes drinking shakes made with it.

I class myself as an ordinary type 2 - I think there are several variants judging by what people have reported, but I'm the sort who could never eat any amount of those 'healthy' carbs without putting on weight at a great rate.
The only time I ever lost weight was when eating low carb with natural fats - Atkins was, and is, my ideal diet.
I went back to eating low carb from the moment I was diagnosed, and was probably back into normal after meal levels within days.
I went from Hba1c of 91 to 47 in 80 days.
Probably that was a bit too fast, but it seems it did no harm.
That was 5 years ago now. The nurse at the clinic told me recently I am down 70lb from the heaviest they recorded.
I don't use nut milk or cows' milk at all regularly. I can't claim never but hardly at all.
I don't eat high sugar fruit, artificial sweeteners or peanut butter.
These days I could probably eat more normally as my metabolism is entirely changed, but I don't as I am still the same person who used to have a 24 inch waist until I was pushed to eat more of those 'healthy' carbs back in the 1970s.

I attended a Desmond course previously, and I still drink skimmed milk…and my Diabetes is in Remission…
Well done Kreator, I'm just recalling what I learnt of the 2 courses I attended and also what is on diabetes home pages.
It was recommended to eat whole / real food rather than too many liquid foods as these metabolise more quickly to glucose in the blood stream and can result in spikes. an example, rather than orange or apple juice eat the whole fruit, then water to drink if you are thirsty.

But if its working for you, all well and good.

Those are great goals @healthylifestyle. 🙂 Don’t forget that it isn’t about crash-dieting and making yourself miserable. The aim is to make small, achievable and sustainable changes that you’re comfortable with (you probably already know this LOL). 🙂

can anyone or the team explain to me
if I were to loose 3 stone & bring my weight to my ideal bmi
would this reverse type 2 ? & eat healthy every day for 1 yr
how long would it take to or the blood sugar to drop & blood test to show normal
plz explain but my long term goal is to eat healthy for rest of my life & exercise & have a healthy lifestyle
to inc rest & relaxation & looking after the mind & the body
I went into remission by having bariatric surgery but took almost a drop in ten stone first, I believe the remission trigger is individual but the more you loose in a healthy way with lifestyle changes can increase the possibility of going into remission. For me I gained a stone in lock down and then went back to needing meds so it’s easy to undo all the hard work. Glad you are looking at a new life not just a short term fix.

By the time they got round to referring me to Desmond, I'd lost 3 stone so they stopped it (At least I assume so, as I haven't heard anything in 9 months from the GP surgery).

With this reversal/remission thing you don’t know until you try it. It doesn't work for everyone, seems to depend on how long you've had T2 as to whether or not the beta cells can recover.

Last edited:
Those are great goals @healthylifestyle. 🙂 Don’t forget that it isn’t about crash-dieting and making yourself miserable. The aim is to make small, achievable and sustainable changes that you’re comfortable with (you probably already know this LOL). 🙂

"Crash dieting and being miserable"
Remember we are all different.
If the thought of dieting makes you miserable, fair enough.
To many of us treating diabetes by diet control for life wouldn't work, so our aim was to reverse it entirely by a method we could achieve, and were comfortable doing it that way.

thanks for this information. I have just googled and this link came up with his suggested diet plan

I followed Professor Roy, lost over 2 stone on his diet and follow up low carb regime. My HbA1C is now 37 so the Prof is correct and helpful! Also he sent me an actual email and encouraged me to do it. I think he's my hero.

I lost 9 kg in 100 days. Total loss 12kg. I am about to undertake another Roy Taylor 10 weeks of 800calories/low carb to shift another stone. After 50 years its amazing that I finally learn how to lose weight.... and keep it off with low carb and myfitness pal.

And definitely follow Unwin's advice here regardless of how you start out.
It's good advice (mostly) for a maintenance diet.

"Eat healthy proteins… Try basing your meals on non-processed meat like chicken or red meat, eggs (three eggs a day is not too much), fish – particularly oily fish such as salmon, mackerel or tuna –are fine and can be eaten freely. Plain full fat yoghurt makes a good breakfast with the berries. Processed meats such as bacon, ham, sausages or salami are not as healthy and should only be eaten in moderation"

"All green veg/salads are fine…Eat as much of these as you can –turn the white stuff green"

"Cheese only in moderation… It’s a very calorific mixture of fat, and protein."

I doubt anyone would disagree with that for a maintenance diet, avoid unhealthy meats, eat veg and salads, and watch the calories.

Mind you if you do actually reverse it, obviously any food is back on, but I still avoid unhealthy fats and processed foods like bacon ham and salami as he suggests.
(I do have a weak spot for a decently made sausage, so long as I watch the calories (mainly by looking in the mirror!) it's fine)

I still avoid unhealthy fats and processed foods like bacon ham and salami as he suggests.
Is your "he" Unwin or Taylor?

I've never seen Dr Unwin say bacon is "unhealthy" and Taylor includes it in 2 of his recipes?

Is your "he" Unwin or Taylor?

I've never seen Dr Unwin say bacon is "unhealthy" and Taylor includes it in 2 of his recipes?

Oh dear.
Very selective reading then.
It's literally in the link you posted to Unwin.

Here is another gem from Unwin for you to think about.

"Healthy fats are fine in moderation…"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back