Advice on Fiasp guys please

Status
Not open for further replies.
Took as I was about to eat Barbara. About an hour after I was at 4. I don’t know what to do about ratio. This is super quick! Would you say it’s finished in 3 hours? Feels scary !

Why don't you take it AFTER you eat?
I find the speed at which it works is dependent on my starting levels and if my levels are in the 4s or low 5s, I bolus after eating because it works too fast otherwise.

Why don't you take it AFTER you eat?
I find the speed at which it works is dependent on my starting levels and if my levels are in the 4s or low 5s, I bolus after eating because it works too fast otherwise.
I was at 6 that’s why I took it just as I was eating. I didn’t want a huge spike you’d get from taking after. But I well learn from this.

Took as I was about to eat Barbara. About an hour after I was at 4. I don’t know what to do about ratio. This is super quick! Would you say it’s finished in 3 hours? Feels scary !
What is it that you ate? If it was something relatively slow to digest, that could be the problem. And then there's the question of whether the reading was correct or not. (When my Libre says 4, I check blood-- which may be 3.5, or 5.5, or 6 ... ) So many variables!!

For a lot of people-- like me and Barbara-- Fiasp is in general not much faster than NovoRapid. Fiasp does seem to have a slightly shorter profile, though, which I like; after 4 hours, I can feel confident it's cleared the system, so if I need a correction it's easier to calculate.

Good luck; just keep experimenting, and try not to worry too much!

Thank you. I have just had lunch and just took normal ratio and see how it goes. On NR I was 1:5 ratio for all meals.

Well I went from 6 to over 13 at lunch @rebrascora so i don’t think normal ratio!!
It is too early to say that.
You have to wait until the Fiasp has finished working before you can make that judgement. At least 3 hours after injecting, probably nearer 4 hours if it was a larger dose. Only then will you know if the ratio was wrong or the timing was wrong.

When working out your ratio, you need to look at what number you returned. If your levels returned to a 6, the dose was correct but the timing was wrong.
I am following advice saying take at least 5 minutes before you eat? I was told 2 mins previously?

It is too early to say that.
You have to wait until the Fiasp has finished working before you can make that judgement. At least 3 hours after injecting, probably nearer 4 hours if it was a larger dose. Only then will you know if the ratio was wrong or the timing was wrong.
It was 44 carbs so I took 5. On NR I would have taken 7

I found my dose was the same with NovoRapid and Fiasp; I only needed to adjust the timing.
But, we are all different and need to find out what works best for our body.
I would not adjust ratios until I have seen what happens over a few hours and then, either adjust ratio or timing.

Yes, but the insulin works over a 4-5 hour period, so whilst your body might digest the carbs in your food over 1-2 hours, the insulin keeps working for another couple of hours to deal with that glucose in your blood and bring it down after the food is digested, so it is really only 4-5 hours after you injected the insulin that you will know if you injected the right amount.

it is really only 4-5 hours after you injected the insulin that you will know if you injected the right amount.
One of the many things that makes T1 such fun that I often want to scream. ; )

That said, if I started at 6 and was at 13 after 2 hours-- which seems to be when Fiasp has its peak action-- I would do a small correction. BUT I've only recently started feeling able to do this, after using Fiasp for months and developing a sense of how it works in my body, because I'm very cautious with corrections.

Guys a bit all over the place with this today. Still sitting in high 11’s after nearly 3 hours. I thought Fiasp worked faster. I should still stick to normal 1:5 ratio for all meals. Frustrated. Also I heard Fiasp worked within 3 hours and not 4.

Guys a bit all over the place with this today. Still sitting in high 11’s after nearly 3 hours. I thought Fiasp worked faster. I should still stick to normal 1:5 ratio for all meals. Frustrated. Also I heard Fiasp worked within 3 hours and not 4.
Fiasp starts to work earlier and doesn't seem to last quite as long as 4 hours for most people but everything with diabetes is individual, so you have to work out how you respond to it. I started with a like for like swap from NR to Fiasp ie. I used the same ratio of 1:10 that I have always used and still do. It isn't significantly quicker for me so I still need a reasonably long prebolus time but it is usually finished working by about 3 hours for me. I think larger doses may keep working for a bit longer, but I try to keep my doses small. If you are using a 1:5 ratio you may find it hangs around a bit longer than 3 hours so maybe assume 4

What many of us find is that Fiasp is quite responsive in 4-7 range but become less responsive as levels get higher and over 10 we often need more than we would if we were using NR. So my correction factor became less over 10 and I have to be much more "bold" with my correction doses once my levels get above 10 and generally I find it more effective and less scary to stack small corrections, rather than hit it with a large correction.

It took me 3 months of frustration and experimenting to figure out how to make it work for my body so don't expect you are going to have success the first day or even the first week. It is definitely more quirky than slow but dependable NR. We have mentioned all this to you before but it is really only when you come to use it that you find that it can be tricky. At least so far, you are finding that it is working reasonably quickly for you, so that is a bonus, but that too has been know to change over time for some people.

I went back to sluggish NR after 3 months of tearing my hair out with Fiasp and then tried it again a year later, when I had an equally frustrating time until I cracked it. In reality I probably have more hypos now than I did when I was on NR but my time in range is better and I have to wait a little less time before I eat meals, but Fiasp really hasn't performed as I hoped it would and if I didn't think it would be horribly frustrating to try something else like Lyumjev, I would..... That said, I am still considering that option, but after 2 years of using Fiasp I have learned to live with it, but not in love with it like I love my Levemir.

Your advice has been second to nine for me thank you @rebrascora I took two as corrections about an hour ago and it has got me back to 6 within an hour. Very good. NR was awful for me. Anyway what I mean by ratio is that I need 1.5 for every 10 carbs. So it works out I need 1 unit for every 6.666 carbs. Which took a while. I have stayed in today to experiment with this. I’ll treat it as I did NR but it defo works much faster. Which means I can eat again quicker - something I have majorly struggles with. So thank you again

If the correction has dropped you to 6 within an hour then it may well drop you too low before it has finished working. It really isn't a good idea for you to be correcting highs between meals at this time. Do be careful please. You don't seem to be grasping that the insulin works over 3-5 hours not all at once.

I would describe your ratio as a 3:20 or 1:7 would be near enough, as carb counting is not precise enough to quibble about 0.34 of a gram even if you were injecting 10 units of insulin, the difference is only 3.4g so not worth worrying about.

Your advice has been second to nine for me thank you @rebrascora I took two as corrections about an hour ago and it has got me back to 6 within an hour. Very good. NR was awful for me. Anyway what I mean by ratio is that I need 1.5 for every 10 carbs. So it works out I need 1 unit for every 6.666 carbs. Which took a while. I have stayed in today to experiment with this. I’ll treat it as I did NR but it defo works much faster. Which means I can eat again quicker - something I have majorly struggles with. So thank you again

I too am worried you could hypo @MichelleF78 Its always safer to ‘wait and watch’ and verify exactly what’s happening over a period of hours, and not just once but over three days or more. I know it’s tempting to correct, but it can all go horribly wrong, so when making changes or using a new insulin, it’s really important to be cautious. This does often mean running a bit high but it’s short-term and the safest thing to do. I wouldn’t have corrected at all. Do monitor things carefully and watch out for further drops.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back