Advice on Fiasp guys please

Status
Not open for further replies.

MichelleF78

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Hi everyone

Hope you are all fighting fit!

Changing to Fiasp soon and looking for helpful tips please. My nurse has said inject either 2 mins before or 20 mins into or after the meal.

With NR I am having to take at least 20-40 mins before food but it’s painfully slow. Breakfast can take me about an hour and a half!! It’s taken me 3 long months to move off this.

Any tips you have would be great to hear.

Thanks as always.

Last edited:
Start just before, test your blood sugar and decide on any timing changes after that.

I find Fiasp speed is very dependent on my levels.
If I am in the 5s or under, I need to inject  after eating to avoid hypos.
If I am in the 6s to 8s, I inject just before eating.
If I am over 10, Fiasp can take 30 minutes or more to have any impact.

But, we are all different. You need to learn how your body reacts.

I find Fiasp speed is very dependent on my levels.
If I am in the 5s or under, I need to inject  after eating to avoid hypos.
If I am in the 6s to 8s, I inject just before eating.
If I am over 10, Fiasp can take 30 minutes or more to have any impact.

But, we are all different. You need to learn how your body reacts.
Many thanks for the feedback.

If my levels are low 4s, I usually take it just before I eat unless it is morning when I still need about 20 mins.
Any other time I need 15-20mins prebolus and 45 mins in the morning. Fiasp is not particularly fast acting for me. You have to find what works for you so as @Lucyr suggests, inject just before you eat and see if your levels spike or not. If they do, inject 5 mins before your next meal at that time of day and see how that works out.
In my opinion, injecting after a meal is beyond optimistic if you want to prevent spikes, but there may be a very small minority who can get away with it.

I usually pre-bolus with my NovoRapid and need longer, often a lot longer, before breakfast than other meals. I also find the pre-bolus interval is dependent on what my BG is doing at the moment of injecting. Ie if low then I will bolus and eat a few mins later; but if above 10 the pre-bolus can need a lot, lot longer. So far so good.

BUT despite that general understanding the actual outcome is often not what I am hoping for. I've tried keeping records of when the pre- bolus has worked and when it hasn't been great - along with records of the meal content, etc. In truth I can't tell you I've got this sorted! It's frustrating and my wife is, understandably, also frustrated by the disruption that I sometimes cause by wanting to delay a planned meal.

So @MichelleF78 my advice is experiment and strive for the best you can do amidst everyday realities - but don't be too disheartened if it takes a while to feel you've got it! Remember that before we had CGMs people were blissfully ignorant about what their BG was doing and unaware of modest spikes for modest periods. There is a reason why we we are given Time in Range (TIR) targets and why we are not expected to achieve 100% TIR. Its not remotely realistic for most people.

Give or take few mins find timing is similar to novorapid with fiasp, but once absorbed it does seem more effective in reducing spikes, personally find longevity of insulin once injected is shorter than novo, about an hour or so from own experience again.

If my levels are low 4s, I usually take it just before I eat unless it is morning when I still need about 20 mins.
Any other time I need 15-20mins prebolus and 45 mins in the morning. Fiasp is not particularly fast acting for me. You have to find what works for you so as @Lucyr suggests, inject just before you eat and see if your levels spike or not. If they do, inject 5 mins before your next meal at that time of day and see how that works out.
In my opinion, injecting after a meal is beyond optimistic if you want to prevent spikes, but there may be a very small minority who can get away with it.
Thanks Barbara good to know

Let us know how you get on with it Michelle please.

Let us know how you get on with it Michelle please.
I will Barbara thanks for all your advice. Try it starting Friday - one quick question. I’m 1.5 ratio for all meals and carb snacks so will I be same on Fiasp? x

Start with the same and see how you go. I gradually found that I needed a bit more Fiasp than NR but I started on like for like and it was over a period of about 3 months that I found I needed more and particularly with corrections.

Ok thank you. I have put on a stone since starting insulin did this make you gain weight? Ankles are still puffy but started water tablets to help with that. Nurse says I have oedema

I have put on some weight recently but not with insulin. I was eating too many carbs and not exercising enough. I am dealing with that situation now by increasing my exercise and decreasing my carbs. Walking is really good for helping to reduce water retention.

Thanks @Lucyr just don’t know what 2 min before and 20 mins after is going to do to help!!
Read the patient leaflet.
I bolus 4 mins before I eat with no problem at all.
It's very important though to have a correct basal for the fiasp to work as it should.

I use fiasp back in September 21 from switching from nova rapid and it wasnt much different didn’t work for me due no real quick affect then moved to lyumjev which was pretty instant no lag time but from switching from nova rapid this caused me to gain 2 stone

Last edited:
Morning guys

Started Fiasp this morning from NR and it’s been rapid..a bit too rapid. Here’s my issue. Every meal time I have 1:5 ratio. I have dropped down to low 4’s on Fiasp and I have felt very shaky. Anyway I have emailed my nurse. Should I try the normal 1 ratio for 10g carbs on this? Prefer to be in the 6 range as this is where I am comfortable. Thoughts please? I knew where I was with NR as 1 unit only dropped me by 1. Also got very little spike with breakfast! Thanks

The question would be.... when are you dropping down into the 4s ie how long after your meal or during it? Also, what was your premeal level and how long did you prebolus the Fiasp if at all? Delighted for you if it is working so much quicker but it will take time to adjust to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back