Not open for further replies.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Just seen an announcement from Roche that they are discontinuing new sales of the Combo and Insight models from the end of this year (or until stocks run out).

Anyone who currently uses those models will, of course, be fully supported for the duration of their warranty, but it looks like no new sales for those models will be happening from Jan 2022 onwards.

Roche will be switching to their Solo micro pump instead.

Indeed sad that these two pumps are going to be disappearing. I just hope those using combo/insight for looping will be okay.

Wouldn't you know they'd do this AFTER I got a new Combo - the meter of which is already playing silly buggers suddenly alarming and telling me to retest following a high BG test - when I have tested previously hours since - but not high. The 'Dismiss' button still works OK though!

Trophywench pump playing silly what's it love the DIMISS BUTTON VIC 64 ON INSUIN THIS MONTH
STAY SAFE AND KEEP LIFE SIMPLE MY dear vic

Wouldn't you know they'd do this AFTER I got a new Combo - the meter of which is already playing silly buggers suddenly alarming and telling me to retest following a high BG test - when I have tested previously hours since - but not high. The 'Dismiss' button still works OK though!

Thankfully they have sufficient stock to keep you up to speed with replacements!

I found some patience - eventually - and sorted it, Vic! so still here to haunt the forum a bit longer.

@everydayupsanddowns does that mean when the warranty runs out, we will need to get different pumps? The insight is the only one I liked so I’ll be devastated if I’m forced to change! I will have to research the solo micro pump…not heard of that one. Thanks for the heads up on this as btw

@everydayupsanddowns does that mean when the warranty runs out, we will need to get different pumps? The insight is the only one I liked so I’ll be devastated if I’m forced to change! I will have to research the solo micro pump…not heard of that one. Thanks for the heads up on this as btw
Have you actually tried any other pump? 🙂
Anything new does take time to get used to, each and every pump does exactly the same thing some in a more (frustrating) roundabout way.

@Pumper_Sue I had the combo prior to the insight but to be fair, they are the only ones I’ve tried. I think it’s the practicality of the insight that I love the most! It’s small, can fit in my pockets/bra so it stays hidden and it has pre-filled cartridges, so easier to change and less chance of air bubbles.

I’ve googled the Solo Micropump and I realised I was offered that before. I really don’t want that one at all! I already struggle with the freestyle libre staying on my arm as I find the glue a bit pathetic, so the thought of a pump that’s also stuck to me sounds like a nightmare. And it will literally mean the end of tight clothes for me and being 24 years old, it’s not something I’m keen to do I’m hoping there are other pumps that are the same as the insight in practical terms. But I don’t think there is

I’ve googled the Solo Micropump and I realised I was offered that before. I really don’t want that one at all! I already struggle with the freestyle libre staying on my arm as I find the glue a bit pathetic, so the thought of a pump that’s also stuck to me sounds like a nightmare. And it will literally mean the end of tight clothes for me and being 24 years old, it’s not something I’m keen to do I’m hoping there are other pumps that are the same as the insight in practical terms. But I don’t think there is

From what I can tell the Insight was approx 84 × 52 × 19 mm

The Tandem tSlim that I have is actually slightly smaller at 80 x 51 x 15 mm

I think the Dana that @Inka uses is 75 x 45 x 19 mm, so also slightly smaller.

The Medtronics are generally a bit bigger I think.

I’m on my second Combo. What a workhorse these pumps are! I took my old one on holiday as a spare and asked before I went if the old handset would work with the newer pump. The Roche helpline person said “oh yes, and those pumps will go on forever”. I did in fact need the old handset. Anyway, I’m due a new pump in November.... we shall see what’s on offer.

PS hope whatever I’m offered has a handset!

I think the Dana can be controlled from an app on your phone. I don’t think any others have a handset that does everything like the Combo. T slim doesn’t (it's a good pump but no remote)

Thank you @Sally71 I think (from my last conversation with the consultant some months ago) that I will be offered the Omnipod or the Medtronic in which case I'd go for the Omnipod which does have a handset. However, by November that choice may have changed. The handset thing was brought home to me at a wedding where I accidentally forgot the handset and had to scrabble in my clothing at the meal table to get the pump out... most embarrassing as I'd put it in a pouch I'd pinned inside the dress at thigh level! In actual fact people were so busy talking I don't think anyone noticed.

From what I can tell the Insight was approx 84 × 52 × 19 mm
I use the Omnipod Dash and its 39 x 52 x 14.5 mm so much smaller IF size matters, it also is tubeless and wireless.
For me it is a great bit of kit.

I gather there are murmurings of being able to use a smartphone app to control the tSlim ‘soon’, but I’ve not heard about a UK launch, but someone had heard there was FDA approval for phone bolusing.

I can only find ‘coming soon’ information on the web with a quick search.

Last edited:
Yes, the DANA is dinky :D It’s a small, neat and sturdy little pump, not plasticky like some of them. It also has a brilliant choice of sets and cannulas, including rotating ones. They’re high quality too. @Sally71 is right - I control the pump with my phone. I bolus with it, put a temp basal on, review my basal rates, etc. It’s so convenient😎

well mi did say to my nurse just paid £ 200-00 for a 14 inch windows 10 laptop so i can download software for ACC-CHEK PUMP AND HANDUNIT not going to happen blasted now rococo in there wisdom going modern do not like the patch size on SOLO no looking into ypsom swedish pump not sure of spelling does 360 steel needles and '''' BRILLANT '''' PFRE FILLED YES PRE FILLED VIAL S 260 NOVORAPID but only no bolus but think it is via a phone app so get my SHELOCK HOMES HAT ON and check out god luck to all who are forced to change i know my pump backwards 14 years with mod s every so often so i no what pain and adjustment can be regards and forwards VIc no 2 alive by a great big operation thank s to NHS IN JULY

Does the Dana have an option of closed loop @Inka?
Interesting to read that the tslim is working towards remote control of the pump @everydayupsanddowns
Another tick for it.

I was a combo user and certainly it is the remote control that I miss most. I have found ways round it, but shall have that on my list when researching option for next time. Our clinic is now offering the t-slim.
Changeover is a long way off for me so who knows what will be available by then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back