Accu-chek Aviva Expert e57 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilmssquirrel

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
So we are the proud owners of a second, broken Accu-Chek Aviva Expert. And we've not even made it to two months yet?

Get a call from school at lunchtime, requiring me to drop everything and dash in to become a human pancreas again. The dreaded E57error is back and despite four sets of new batteries and a lengthy phone call to Roche to get a replacement, we are none the wiser.

This happened with the last one too.

The chip has been wiggled; the secret handshake of press this, press that, wiggle this, wait for ten seconds, stand on your head, deploy new batteries and pray has also been done.

Does anyone have any idea what we're doing wrong? It's getting a bit boring already.

The helpful chap at Roche said if she was over 18 we could use the nifty new tech but we have another eight years of messing about with this every few weeks.

TIA x

If I remember correctly E57 means an electronic error occured OR in rare cases a used test strip has been removed and reinserted

Can't say I've ever had this happen myself and my first Expert meter lasted for over 3 years before it started playing silly buggers but advice for this error is to turn it off, remove the batteries, wait at least 20 seconds and reinsert them

Have you tried reseting the meter?
xx

Hmmmm, you seem to be very unlucky, I think the rare occasion we had that one removing the batteries and reinserting them after 30 seconds or so would usually sort it. Or even just turning the thing off and on again! Sorry I can’t be more helpful 🙄

I have never used Accu Chek meters but over the last 15+years I have had a number of machines. I have only had a problem once with a One Touch machine, which was replaced and I had to send it back to them so they could test it.

Sorry to hear this @Lilmssquirrel

How frustrating for you :(

I hope the next one you have gives you more of a decent run of service. I still have my old one at the back of the shelf in case I ever need it again!

You’ve been so unlucky. Especially in not being able to get rid of the error message. We have mostly found we get an error message if we’re too quick trying to do the test and it hasn’t got past the check strips are 111 stage. It doesn’t tell you that’s why you have the message so it took a bit of working out.

We’ve found their customer service very good when we’ve had any issues. Do you have a backup meter? We have the one that does ketones and we also got sent a basic version of the Accu Check when we registered our expert meter.

Thanks all. Hubby eventually 'fixed it' but has no idea what he did. Typical IT VP. I spend ages fiddling and he sails in, does the whole turn it off and on again thing that I'd done repeatedly myself and with the chap at Roche and it just sprang to life *facepalm*

I will get DD to be a bit more vigilant when using it.

Hi everyone. I've just joined this site for answers on this question. My daughter now 16 was diagnosed 4 months ago. Given covid we've kind of been given a pack and left to figure things out. We have numbers we can ring but with work their not available when I can talk. My daughter has had the libre 2. It literally fell out! So she went back to the finger prick but she got home from school, walked in the rain and its gotten wet through. I've taken batteries out and dried it out but I keep getting the E-57 message. Has anyone any advice please as we now have no way of testing her levels and the clinic is closed until Monday

It could be still wet inside. That happened to an old mobile phone of mine. It wasn’t salvageable. Have you tried carefully putting it near a radiator (with no batteries in) to make sure it’s completely dry inside?

Does your daughter have a back up meter? I’d give AccuChek a call:

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/contact-accu-chek-uk-and-roi

Hopefully they’ll send you a new meter. That’s what they did when one of mine broke. They were very good. In the meantime, I’d pop out and buy a good, cheap meter. This can then act as a back up meter once the Aviva is replaced/mended.

Did your daughter have a mobile phone with her? Did that get wet too? I always treat my meter like a phone and keep it in a case somewhere safe and dry.

Is your daughter going to try again with the Libre? It’s rare for them to fall out. For the small number of people who have oilier skin, there are various additions to keep them in place eg Tegaderm/stickers or plastic holders.

Oops - I forgot to say Welcome 🙂 Sorry you’ve been left to it. Do ask whatever other questions you want here - nothing is silly or too trivial. There are lots of Type 1s here with years and years of experience.

@Nicarter I'd call 111 and ask them if they can sort a new meter out with strips as you are highly unlikely to get a new Expert meter as they were discontinued and I think they have used the stock they did have xx

The meter AccuChek sent me wasn’t the same as my broken one, which I was initially disappointed about, but I got sent the Mobile which I now prefer anyway.

I’m not sure personally that I’d bother 111 for this unless there was no way I could afford a basic meter. The one I bought was the Freestyle Lite and I got I for half price. It came with 10 strips which I was able to make last the two days before my AccuChek one arrived. AccuChek we’re excellent about this and sent it super-fast.

I just thought - my GP is open for emergencies on Sat mornings. You could see if yours is. They might have glucose meters there (mine has a few in the cupboard normally - not the best but ok to tide her over.

And I just thought - have you got a Libre Reader as well as scanning it with a phone?

If so, get some BG testing strips for it, keep em somewhere out of the way and use it as a BG meter as well as a ketone meter with ketone strips when you need to in future.

And presumably you've contacted Abbott to get the sensor that 'fell out' replaced?

I'm on my second Combo pump now having had the Insight in between and it uses a slightly adapted Expert as its handset as well as a meter, and I cannot recall ever having an electronic error, except when it needed the batteries replaced. Think husband adjusted the battery contacts in the first one once cos one or other of em weren't making a very good contact, but that's all.

Hi everyone. I've just joined this site for answers on this question. My daughter now 16 was diagnosed 4 months ago. Given covid we've kind of been given a pack and left to figure things out. We have numbers we can ring but with work their not available when I can talk. My daughter has had the libre 2. It literally fell out! So she went back to the finger prick but she got home from school, walked in the rain and its gotten wet through. I've taken batteries out and dried it out but I keep getting the E-57 message. Has anyone any advice please as we now have no way of testing her levels and the clinic is closed until Monday
Do you have a meter for ketones? We have glucose strips for ours for emergencies.

Also when we registered our expert a Accu-check sent us a basic meter too as a back up that uses the same strips as the expert. Having a back up meter of some sort is really helpful for things like this.

When you have a backup meter, be aware that test strips have an expiration date.
This is why it is advised to have a backup that takes the same strips as your primary meter.
There is little worse your meter braking and finding out the test strips for your back up meter are out of date.

When you have a backup meter, be aware that test strips have an expiration date.
This is why it is advised to have a backup that takes the same strips as your primary meter.
There is little worse your meter braking and finding out the test strips for your back up meter are out of date.
You can’t get a spare meter that uses the same strips as the accu chek expert meter. They don’t make any.

That is contrary to the comment from @Thebearcametoo who said Accu-check sent them a basic meter as a backup.
They used to make the basic Aviva meter but sadly that was also discontinued around the same time as the Aviva Expert xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back