A whole year has passed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steff

Little Miss Chatterbox
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Gosh im a busy gal today with all these threads:
A year ago to the day was when i was took into hospital with my absesses under my armpit and im my opinion that was what started off the ball rolling with my diagnosis in February, i went along doing the usual seeing the nurse twice a week to get dressing changed etc etc having countless amounts of home visits and all was going well until the middle of jan when my armpit was just clearing and healing nicely and i noticed my other armpit going the same way , the nurse said i think i will have a word with your gp she came back and then was the blood tests etc etc i was given anti-biotics for the arm to see if lumps would go and luckily they did, but i was called in about 2 weeks later and told by GP i had diabetes, I just wonder to myself if i had not had that op back in nov or have had anything done would i ever have found out i was diabetic.I guess my answer to that is yes and it would of shown in other ways ..

You haven't had an easy time of it Steph. Who knows what would have happened if you hadn't found out at that time. Depends on your beliefs, but maybe the universe was giving you a timely heads up to let you get it sorted before it got any more serious?

You haven't had an easy time of it Steph. Who knows what would have happened if you hadn't found out at that time. Depends on your beliefs, but maybe the universe was giving you a timely heads up to let you get it sorted before it got any more serious?

thats very true it was a warning sign do you know i let it go on for 3 weeks walking around in agony before i woud go to the hops it got to the point where i had to be pushed into the A&E dept.I was kicking myself lying in hosp but at the time i was petrified of telling any one the extent of the pain i was in

Last edited:
Crazy! I hope a year on your feeling better? Actually, relating to your other thread re being peed off, one of my first symptoms was thrush! LOL

thats very true it was a warning sign do you know i let it go on for 3 weeks walking around in aginy before i woud go to the hops it got to the point where i had to be pushed into the A&E dept.I was kicking myself lying in hosp but at the time i was petrified of telling any one the extent of the pain i was in

You must be very strong willed to be able to endure that. I'm a total wimp. If it hurts and doesn't go away in a few days I'm camped outside the doctors surgery.. My Mum was in agony for over a year and kept getting told that it was age related degenerative conditions like arthritis etc.. when they finally did blood tests and diagnosed her with cancer she had only a few weeks to live. Hence as soon as it starts to worry me, I'm there at the doctors.

I'd gone to see a locum about a rather annoying itch in a very unfortunate area that had bothered me previously and not cleared up. It was on her request that I went for the blood test and glucose tolerance test that led to my diabetes diagnosis..

How have you coped with all this psychologically? Does it get you down?

Crazy! I hope a year on your feeling better? Actually, relating to your other thread re being peed off, one of my first symptoms was thrush! LOL

ove had that can it re-occur?
yeah a year on im pleased i bit the bullet and went to a and e x

You must be very strong willed to be able to endure that. I'm a total wimp. If it hurts and doesn't go away in a few days I'm camped outside the doctors surgery.. My Mum was in agony for over a year and kept getting told that it was age related degenerative conditions like arthritis etc.. when they finally did blood tests and diagnosed her with cancer she had only a few weeks to live. Hence as soon as it starts to worry me, I'm there at the doctors.

I'd gone to see a locum about a rather annoying itch in a very unfortunate area that had bothered me previously and not cleared up. It was on her request that I went for the blood test and glucose tolerance test that led to my diabetes diagnosis..

How have you coped with all this psychologically? Does it get you down?

we all do sily things i guess i was just in denial and scared, but since the op my armpit is clear well both are and i put it down to sum1 looking down on me and giving me a wake up call,the episode with my op dnt get me down at all karina its the diabetes itself that gets to me the most , but of course it gets to us all x

Well I know it's a bit late but I reckon you should be nice to yourself - retail therapy or a bit of pampering at your earliest opportunity. If I win the lottery tonight I'll book it for you and send a limo - how does that sound?

Well I know it's a bit late but I reckon you should be nice to yourself - retail therapy or a bit of pampering at your earliest opportunity. If I win the lottery tonight I'll book it for you and send a limo - how does that sound?

ohh karina your my new best m8 haha that sounds great, ill watch out for lotto numbers okies x

Last edited:
🙂🙂🙂 fingers and toes crossed now..

I haven't done the river in Egypt thing. I suppose having the police break into my flat and getting carted off to hospital more or less unconscious meant I had to accept the reality. I've never been so scared in my life as I was during the two weeks I had to wait for the actual diagnosis. Being told I'm diabetic was almost a relief, it gave me a label to hang on the problem and a place to start dealing with it.

I can't believe it's only been 10 weeks since then, I feel as though I've been dealing with this forever. I read the posts from all you 'old hands' and marvel at how strong you all are and how well you cope.

I haven't done the river in Egypt thing. I suppose having the police break into my flat and getting carted off to hospital more or less unconscious meant I had to accept the reality. I've never been so scared in my life as I was during the two weeks I had to wait for the actual diagnosis. Being told I'm diabetic was almost a relief, it gave me a label to hang on the problem and a place to start dealing with it.

I can't believe it's only been 10 weeks since then, I feel as though I've been dealing with this forever. I read the posts from all you 'old hands' and marvel at how strong you all are and how well you cope.

what a great line alison "being told i was diabetic was almost a relief it gave me a label to hang onto" thats the feeling i got and i kinda had the idea of diabetes thrown at me by the nurse the day she had a word with the GP.

karinagal;76649 fingers and toes crossed now..[/QUOTE said:
any news yet , im looking at websites now of good limos companys in area :D:D

ove had that can it re-occur?
yeah a year on im pleased i bit the bullet and went to a and e x

It can re-occur for a variety of reasons. Antibiotics can make a person more susceptible, and when blood sugars run high... It is als a sign of other conditns - hypothyroidism (I was diagnosed with this and diabetes at the same time!)

Has it been drawn yet? I usually wait for the "News about your ticket" e-mail the next day.... unfortunately, last time it was for ?2.... matched one number on the dream number.. That's not going to go very far? Might get you to the end of the road? 😱

Sorry Steph - no draw results on teletext yet so I'm off to bed. I promise I'll check first thing in the morning and if I win the jackpot I'll let you know.. as soon as my private jet lands in Sydney/New York/Dubai........ 😎

I know how you feel, I went to the nurse for my 3 yearly smear and asked her to look at a couple of abcesses I had on my boob (sorry if that is tmi) she took one look at them and said "I am testing your bg levels I think you might be diabetic" and took a finger prick test that was borderline and HBA1C a week later and it was confirmed - I will be forever grateful her as I had no symptoms what so ever and if I had not shown her my abcesses I would be sitting here undiagnosed for who knows how long.

I know how you feel, I went to the nurse for my 3 yearly smear and asked her to look at a couple of abcesses I had on my boob (sorry if that is tmi) she took one look at them and said "I am testing your bg levels I think you might be diabetic" and took a finger prick test that was borderline and HBA1C a week later and it was confirmed - I will be forever grateful her as I had no symptoms what so ever and if I had not shown her my abcesses I would be sitting here undiagnosed for who knows how long.

That is good that it was discovered - hope they cleared up Ok.

A busy year indeed Steff, hope you're generally in a better place now, I know we all have our ups and downs.

Stay safe

Rossi.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back