• People with diabetes are currently being contacted to receive the Covid-19 vaccine. Should you have any questions about how this might affect your blood sugar levels, then call our Helpline for support and information on managing your diabetes at this time.Updates: Coronavirus and diabetes
  • Are you currently doing less than 30 mins physical activity per week and would like support to help you move more? Get in touch with our Physical Activity Helpline here

A different outcome

LittleSunflower

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Hello all, hope you’re well.
If you’ve read my previous posts, you’ll know there’s been some confusion on my diagnosis. One year ago, I had a HBA1C (I usually have these every 6 months due to my history of an eating disorder.) but this outcome was different; it put me in the Prediabetic range. First results being 43 and second being 47. There were no clear answers as to what type I was but we were looking more towards type 2 even though type 1 is in my family. I was advised to join the prevention programme for this.
A few weeks ago, I was informed I needed another set of bloods taking. This time, the result was 51 and a second result of 50 confirmed I am now within the Diabetic range. I am on the borderline of being underweight- maintaining and gaining weight is something I’ve struggled with for the most part of my life; I’m quite petite generally but I’ve lost weight within the past few weeks which is obviously concerning- this is not due to my eating disorder as I’m doing better with that nowadays.
I’ve just spoken with my doctor to discuss the results and he is referring me to the diabetic clinic at the hospital but not for type 2... for developing type 1.
I am in my 20s and this has come as quite a shock to me although it makes more sense than type 2 when looking at it as I’ve had previous symptoms which now make sense as to what they could’ve been caused by.

Is there anything you’d advise to do whilst waiting to be contacted to discuss my diabetic journey further? Have any of you been diagnosed at a later stage in your life?

Thank you to @Inka for advising I persist in the testing for type 1 as now it feels like I will finally be tested fully and get a result in the near future.

Last edited:

rebrascora

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi
Good to hear they are referring you the the clinic and hopefully you will get some further testing although at this stage I wonder if it may be inconclusive with your levels still being pretty low. I think most who are diagnosed with Type 1 are into treble figures (112 for me and I was in the normal range the year before) with their HbA1c or have an emergency hospital admission with DKA or they are treated as Type 2 for months or years before eventually needing insulin which is usually more associated with LADA or Type 1.5

Please keep us posted with how you get on but unfortunately diabetes clinic appointments are slow to come through at the moment as I believe staff have been deployed to wards more with high BG levels being a complication of patients suffering with Covid. nI the mean time, do whatever you can to stabilise your eating and perhaps introduce regular exercise like a daily walk if you are able.

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I second it is good your GP is referring you to the hospital. 20's is not really old for diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. We have members who have been diagnosed in all age groups.

helli

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
20's is not really old for diagnosis of Type 1 Diabetes. We have members who have been diagnosed in all age groups.
Agree with you there.
Over half of the people in the UK with Type 1 diabetes were diagnosed over the age of 20.

(Although I was disappointed to learn this because getting a childhood disease in my 30s appealed to my childish mind.)

Inka

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
I’m quite petite generally but I’ve lost weight within the past few weeks which is obviously concerning- this is not due to my eating disorder as I’m doing better with that nowadays.
I’ve just spoken with my doctor to discuss the results and he is referring me to the diabetic clinic at the hospital but not for type 2... for developing type 1.

That’s great you’ve been referred for Type 1 checks @LittleSunflower :) Especially as you’ve lost weight without trying and for no reason. There are lots of statistics about Type 1 in adulthood. One I read was something like more people develop Type 1 over the age of 30 than under the age of 16. The basic fact is that Type 1 is not only a childhood condition and can develop at any age.

Don’t panic about the Type 1 testing. It’s a very good thing. Far better to know what you’re dealing with. If it does turn out to be Type 1, again don’t panic. Insulin will allow you to live your life and feel a lot better.

In the meantime, keep testing frequently and keep a close eye on how you’re feeling.

Ditto

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I'm glad to hear you are getting sorted, best wishes. :)

trophywench

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hee hee - I was 22, I'll be 71 in April. I felt that lousy by the time I was diagnosed (brewing for several months, I was young and couldn't be anything serious though, now could it? Why on earth would it? Don't be daft, mom! Stop being overdramatic for goodness sake .... deep sigh) To give her her due - she never ONCE said I told you so. (That must have cost her something cos it wasn't like her, not to have!) - they could have said we'll have to cut your arm/leg/ whatever off to cure it, I'd have signed on the dotted line.#
Fortunately though it was only injections apparently, easy peasy!!

Hang onto your sense of humour.

Ask ask ask as many times as you need to, in order to entirely grasp what why how.

Good luck!