780 Users

I have been asked about the training and how to set up the 780 with HCL, but thought that this might be more useful generally.

What a contrast for me with the training for my new 780

When I started on the 780 four years ago to go on to HCL it was all quite new and only available self funding. My DSN was learning alongside me. We had two sessions on Zoom booked in. One to introduce us to the pump which arrived a week before. We were all previous pump users, although for me this was a new manufacturer. Very similar to my old combo but different language and different ways of calculating active insulin etc. We had all out in our settings such as basal trades and carb ratios before the session and they answered any questions that we had. We then had a couple of weeks in manual and then a second session to start HCL, go into Smartguard.

For me there was then a couple few weeks when I abandoned HCL as I did not let it get on with its job and kept interfering so it did not have a chance to settle. I just found it very hard to let the pump take on all that I had been doing and didn’t trust it. My DSN came up with a plan and we had another start which was more successful. This was followed up with another sessions with the Medtronic trainer.

Excellent technical support on the Pump care line whenever I have needed it. I have also intermittently logged into the Medtronic Webinars on topics such as exercising and dealing with illness which I have found very useful and these showed how they were adapting their advice based on the experiences of users.

Nearly four years later I am about to get my new 780 and the new Simplera sensors.

We are able to collect our pump and sensors before the training and I have been sent a link to their seven pre training modules. My heart sank when I saw how many there were but they were very clear and a useful checklist. These took me through each of the stages of setting up my pump. They also included advice on what settings to use if you have not had a pump before and included references to work with your DSN as necessary. I shall be well prepared for the training session which is face to face for four hours. This will ensure that we are all set up in manual mode. For those new to HCL there is a follow up a week later to do the switch over. For those of us already using the system we do this ourselves and have a check in a month later with our own hospital teams.

This all seems very organised.
What have other people’s experience been?

hat have other people’s experience been?

I had my training in a tent at a festival dressed as a pirate :rofl:😛

We tried to reschedule, but it was the only option!

It was a couple of hours, we sped through some sections as I’d had 2 Medtronic pumps, and an alternative HCL before.

At one point my phone got so hot it just shut down 😱

There was a brief follow-up afterwards, and actually overall it was really clear and I felt well equipped to start.

Sorry for late entry. The 780G warns of Sensor remaining time (and Bolus levels) so I disconnect the sensor a few hours early each week, by removing it from my thigh (works well there for me), stick a new sensor in (at least 4” away from removed one), plug the transmitter into the charger, charge for one hour, connect transmitter to new sensor and than the several hours wait for everything to warm up. It now seems to take 3 hours! This all means I change sensors at the same time every week, but have to waste 3 hours of ‘warming up’ time.
I really don’t find much pattern in my Type 1. Every day is different. After 68 years of Type 1, I used to take (6months ago) 4.2U bolus of Nova Rapid at 7.30am and ate 18gms breakfast which either lasted me to nearly lunchtime or left me hypo at 11.00am. Now I have 14gm C (the same nut muesli and 3.2U bolus and am usually low by 10.00. I changed my carb ratios which is why 14C and 3.2U is a different ratio to 18gm and 4.2U. I’ll have to reduce the bolus ratio again. Every Day is Different, but I am having a toasted crumpet and jam with good coffee at 10.30 instead which is lovely. I am envious of all you BG between 5-6 mmol constantly. Good news: I’m still singing, allotting and walking (raised £800 in the 5 mile Wellness Walk in September). Best to all.
Adam

It sounds like you have got round some of the issues that you had @adamrit and are making it work for you. I am looking forward to getting to use the new Simplera Sensors with my next pump later this month. I will let you know how that goes.

I had my training in a tent at a festival dressed as a pirate
I wonder whether that is something that they could add into the training. What fancy dress should I choose?

I wonder whether that is something that they could add into the training. What fancy dress should I choose?

Haha!

Mike did not add that rather than the expected Norwegian Blue, he usually sports an electric guitar to go with that outfit. Though my immediate reaction was to think that the eyepatch couldn't have helped :rofl: :D:rofl:

Doing some preparations before my training to switch over to Simplera
Reading through the manual makes me realise that there are things that I had taken for granted or not noticed before so …

With the new sensors how are people disposing of:
  • Inserter
  • Sensor now that it has transmitter with it
  • Vial or reservoir of insulin with a dribble left in it
  • Tubing (ends have not been near any bodily fluids - same as a pin - in bin?)
I know that it says follow local guidelines but just interested.

And some other questions:
  • Can spare sensors in hand luggage go through x Ray at airport?
  • Does anyone wipe the top of the insulin vial when loading a reservoir after the first one
  • On the basal delivery graph with the blocks of different thickness how much insulin does one thickness of bar represent. It seems to go up to a max of three thickness
  • When it tells us that no bolus required and ‘carbs saved for future use’ what do they mean

Doing some preparations before my training to switch over to Simplera
Reading through the manual makes me realise that there are things that I had taken for granted or not noticed before so …

With the new sensors how are people disposing of:
  • Inserter
I know that it says follow local guidelines but just interested.

And some other questions:
  • Does anyone wipe the top of the insulin vial when loading a reservoir after the first one
  • On the basal delivery graph with the blocks of different thickness how much insulin does one thickness of bar represent. It seems to go up to a max of three thickness
  • When it tells us that no bolus required and ‘carbs saved for future use’ what do they mean

• Inserter
Many would just say ‘landfill’ as the sharp is concealed. I am doing as I did with Libre - prize apart with pliers and put the sharp in sharps bin, then landfill the rest.
Rep said this was NOT to go in sharps (like Libre). General waste to avoid risk of explosion when incinerated
Vials I put in sharps. Reservoirs in general waste. I have NO idea why this is
I snip off the ends and put them in sharps, then coil and cut through the tubing so it goes in gen waste in 10-12cm lengths (to avoid wildlife getting tangled in it later).

These aren’t official advice, just my habit.
No idea on official advice, but mine go through xray
I don’t. I never have had a problem not doing so.
I had the same question. Asking an experienced friend he said no pink = no basal. Small pink = standard basal (based on its learning over recent days). Bigger pink = boosted basal. There always seems to be a ‘suspend’ after meals. If he is right (and I believe he got it from Rep) each bolus is acting as a ‘super bolus’ (for anyone that remembers that technique) or ‘safe bolus’ and is incorporating post-meal basal. I have had to increase meal ratios to accommodate this.
Only had this once. Mine was triggered by descending BG and decent amount of IOB. Pump calculated that more insulin added was too great a hypo risk, and the food carbs were better off slowing/stopping the dropping BGs. It ended up not being right as it happens. But then I was having cake. :rofl:o_O😱

Back