4th Hypo..

Misunderstood

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
He/Him
Hi. I'm.on 58 units Toujeo but have lost 50lb in weight. Nhs nurse told me to call 999 if it drops again. Surely all I need to do is inject less toujeo tonight ?? Any advice please ?

follow the nurses advice dial 999 if it keeps dropping treat them whil u wait good luck

Hi. I'm.on 58 units Toujeo but have lost 50lb in weight. Nhs nurse told me to call 999 if it drops again. Surely all I need to do is inject less toujeo tonight ?? Any advice please ?

Set your Libre Low alarm to 5.6 so you can spot impending hypos and treat them before they happen @Misunderstood Speak to your nurse/GP about reducing your insulin if you think you need it.

Hypos don’t generally need a 999 call unless the person is unconscious or having a seizure. Glucose will treat it normally, and if you’re not alone your mum can help and be alert for problems.

Perhaps the nurse was concerned about other aspects of your health and so suggested 999? Did the ambulance come last night? How are you feeling today?

4th hypo in how long? ie. 4th in one night or 4th in a week or 4th one ever?
How low was the hypo?
As others have said, set your alarm higher to warn you and if it is happening regularly in a short space of time and you are pretty sure it is your Tresiba, then reduce the dose a bit. Just a couple of units can sometimes make a significant difference.

I agree with Inka, and as always - if unsure, call 111. They can help you determine if it warrants an emergency.
Yep I agree with you there. Thanks. I didn't call either as it happens just sorted it out when it happened and carried on with my night / day.

Hypos don’t generally need a 999 call unless the person is unconscious or having a seizure. Glucose will treat it normally, and if you’re not alone your mum can help and be alert for problems.

Perhaps the nurse was concerned about other aspects of your health and so suggested 999? Did the ambulance come last night? How are you feeling today?
Hey. Nope no one came last night. I honestly think it's just a reaction to the flu jab. Especially today my nose is running and it's beginning to feel like the lurgy.. or course should things change again I will contact 111 / 999 accordingly.

There are lots of non-Covid viruses going round too @Misunderstood so it could be the flu vax or it could be a virus. Either way, I hope you feel better soon.

5th hypo... but I did set the alarm to 5.6 🙂

That’s great - makes it easier to catch them with the alarm set higher, doesn’t it? I hope you treated it ok and had some follow-up longer lasting carbs.

What time did you eat your evening meal?

That’s great - makes it easier to catch them with the alarm set higher, doesn’t it? I hope you treated it ok and had some follow-up longer lasting carbs.

What time did you eat your evening meal?
Yep.. I had a small chocolate bar.. and a bowl of stew and bread.. approx 8pm.

Yep.. I had a small chocolate bar.. and a bowl of stew and bread.. approx 8pm.

If you ate at 8pm, it’s possible that your bolus was too high. Stew isn’t easy to judge the carbs, so maybe you had fewer than you thought. Just watch things over the next hour or two in case the drop continues.

Good hypo treatments are Dextro tablets, then something like a plain digestive biscuit or two or a slice of bread. That’s simple but makes a good mix of fast then slower carbs. It saves having to think. Chocolate is, of course, very tasty, but not so good for hypos as the fat slows the sugar down. You could always have a square or two along with your other treatments if you fancy it 🙂

If you ate at 8pm, it’s possible that your bolus was too high. Stew isn’t easy to judge the carbs, so maybe you had fewer than you thought. Just watch things over the next hour or two in case the drop continues.

Good hypo treatments are Dextro tablets, then something like a plain digestive biscuit or two or a slice of bread. That’s simple but makes a good mix of fast then slower carbs. It saves having to think. Chocolate is, of course, very tasty, but not so good for hypos as the fat slows the sugar down. You could always have a square or two along with your other treatments if you fancy it 🙂
ah oops.. Im still learning about all this stuff really.. never realised there was a bad choice to treat a hypo.. thanks

Without consulting the endo?
If you’re confident enough yes, you can adjust your dose without consulting anyone. Maybe not a good idea if you’re not long diagnosed, but if you’re getting the hang of things then why not? It can take time to get in touch with your medical team and it isn’t doing you any good to be having constant hypos in the meantime. Small adjustments downwards won’t do any damage, and if you then start going high you just adjust it back up again

I find I needed fairly minor but regular adjustments throughout the year with changes in the season.
My team definitely focused on giving me the confidence to make my own adjustments to doses and ratios. That took a while to do.

I adjust mine
I adjust my basal all the time.

I have my standard amount morning and night, then I’ll tweak it if I know I’m going to be extremely active or extremely non active that day/following day.

I’ve recently had a 36 hour bug, hardly ate all day and when going bed my levels were nice at about 7mmol- but as I couldn’t stomach any food I didn’t give myself my evening basal at all! - I was hunky all thru the night and fine the next day.

Back