400 calories or an extra slice of pizza

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
According to the TV news at the weekend adults can have an extra 400 calories a day. They worked it out to an extra slice of pizza. There was a lotof divided public opinion over it.

What does everyone else think of the extra calorie allowance? I know we tend to look for the carb content more than the calorie content anyway.

I agree i look more for carb and sugar content, mind an extra slice of pizza could cause alot of peeps more trouble in our cases

Right now the one thing I fancy is a pizza, a whole one all to myself. There is a Pizza Express across the road from where I work too...

dnt is cause havoc with your levels? it seems to make alot of pple spike

I don't have pizza very often because it makes me spike. The other deterrent is I am on flexi time, so only take a short lunch break, not enough time to get settled, order, wait, eat and pay in half an hour. The short lunch break helps build up the time I can take off to be home with my boys...

I think the extra 400 calories are for people who's BMI is in the 'acceptable or underweight range. So if your both in the 'right range' - then have a pizza ladies!:D
The problem with pizza is that it spikes everyone up for hours😱

I wonder how old the figures are that they have been using? I watched a programe a few months ago about the war and rations etc - apparently the way it was worked out is the 'perfect' amount of calories and nutrition for both adults and children alike. And if we all ate the same portions as they did on rations - we would be slimmer and very healthy! But we would all probably feel hungry and miss our favourite foods.🙂Bev

I think the other thing is people have become less active too. My job now is less active than the job I was doing 10 years ago so I need less calroies. With my parents and grand parents the work was more physically demanding so more calroies were needed. More homes now have central heating so we use less calories to keep warm.

Type 2 and dietary advice

As a newly diagnosed type 2, I'm still extremely confused over what I should be eating and what I should be avoiding.. Can anyone tell me, should I get an automatic referral to a dietician or am I meant to make do with a couple of pages of dietary advice from the practice nurse?

Luckily, I'm not tempted by pizza thanks to an aversion to cheese I picked up as a child.. My main temptations are crisps and chocolate .... yummmm

Karina

As a newly diagnosed type 2, I'm still extremely confused over what I should be eating and what I should be avoiding.. Can anyone tell me, should I get an automatic referral to a dietician or am I meant to make do with a couple of pages of dietary advice from the practice nurse?

Luckily, I'm not tempted by pizza thanks to an aversion to cheese I picked up as a child.. My main temptations are crisps and chocolate .... yummmm

Karina
Hi Karina,

Cut out the sweet stuff - I expect that you know that already.

However, I suggest that you cut back on the starchy carbohydrate foods also - e.g. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice too - because they all turn into sugar as soon as you eat them.

Best wishes - John

Hi Karina,

Cut out the sweet stuff - I expect that you know that already.

However, I suggest that you cut back on the starchy carbohydrate foods also - e.g. cereals, bread, potatoes, pasta and rice too - because they all turn into sugar as soon as you eat them.

Best wishes - John

John, the diet sheets from the nurse recommend taking starchy carbohydrate with each meal - it's no wonder I'm soooo confused!!

Karina

If anyone wants to see a dietician, ask their GP. Some Primary Care Trusts (PCTs) operate a scheme for self refrel and others you need to see your GP or practice nurse. You will probably find they wont tell you anything you don't already know, but it is reassuring to know you got it right in the first place.

Karina, you can and should still have the carbs, just not much of them. Bulk out your meals with veg instead.

The 'Poor me' posting....

Thanks Caroline, I phoned my doctor's surgery the other day and have asked them to refer me to a dietician. I tend to be a bit over analytical about health matters in particular (had a run in with breast cancer in 2002/2003 that left me in a bit of a state mentally for several years after) and I find that I have a very real need to arm myself with as much information as I can if I'm expected to be in control of things. I was shocked too by the attitude of the practice nurse on the need for testing - she actively discouraged me from doing this 'at this stage'.

Alison, I know that I should be taking lots of fresh veggies as part of my diet anyway but the problem is that I'm a really, really fussy/faddy eater and not fond of much in the way of veg. That's probably why I'm so heavy in the first place, too much in the way of potatoes, chips etc and not enough of the good stuff...

I've got a lot to learn and a lot of barriers that I've built up over the years that I need to break down. The hardest thing is remembering that there is no quick fix and I'm going to have to do this for the rest of my days..

Karina 😱

Karinagal you have already taken the most difficult step in asking for help. I'm sure things will improve. My loves are things chocolate, I try to keep fruit to hand to help calm those sweet cravings, but yes it is difficult.

According to the TV news at the weekend adults can have an extra 400 calories a day. They worked it out to an extra slice of pizza. There was a lotof divided public opinion over it.

What does everyone else think of the extra calorie allowance? I know we tend to look for the carb content more than the calorie content anyway.

the extra calories are for people who are active and do moderate exercise at least 3 times a week and follow a healthy diet too.

it has been on angela griffins new show on sky one today (yeah i know i am sad but it is one of my guilty pleasures lol)

Karina,

I am NHS Glasgow and Clyde and was told by my practice nurse that a meeting with the dietician was mandatory (havent had my meeting yet as she is on maternity leave). Realise North Lanarkshire might be a bit different.

I was also told there was no need for me to test my bg levels but I stuck to my guns and have now been given a monitor and test scrips (allbeit 50 strips for 6 months 😱, but it is a start) so I would keep asking them. As regards weight I joined WW in May (before being diagnosed) and have lost 39.5lbs so far (averaging 1.5lbs a week) I still have about 8st to loose so know it will be a long journey. It is not easy and yes it is a complete lifestyle change but I am proof it can be done and I love my crisps :D.

You have made the hardest step by asking to see the dietician. You will find the knowledge on this forum invaluable. Good luck xxx

I had an appointment with a dietician a few weeks after my diagnosis, and I have to say she didn't enlighten me with anything I hadn't already found out from here and from leaflets. 🙄

On the original topic, my BMI is way outside what it should be, but luckily I'm not a pizza lover anyway!! 😛

xx

Hi,

I only found out what affects me by testing. Let me make it clear I don't live by my meter - if I really fancy a sin I'll have it.

I always do a waking test (for the trend) and 2 hours after eating my main meal to see if I've had too much of anything,

I have really cut down on fatty/fried food. Chips are a real treat now. I've cut out salt and the amount of high carb foods I eat.

As far as I am concerned, anything can go down the cake hole... it's the quantities that are important. By testing I've now got six months experience so generally know what will keep my BG down.

The other thing for me is exercise. I do a brisk walk to W. That keeps my BG down.

hi there i live in north lanarkshire have you seen the dsn yet ?
i go to the david matthews centre next to monkslands and there when you go for appointment you can see the dietican just ask
i not sure which clinic you would go to but you can ask to see the dietican

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back