4 year old boy told to carry out own injections at school

Status
Not open for further replies.
Excuse me whilst I sharpen my axe and prepare my pitch fork. I'm sorry but that the age of four you cannot manage your own diabetes. I didn't even learn to inject for a year or so after diagnosis. That said, I was on two injections a day in 1996. However, there is no reason why the school shouldn't help. I suppose my view is a little tainted as I am a private school boy but still, even in the hell hole of a state school that I went to for a year or so I was given the help that I needed.

I didn't even learn to inject for a year or so after diagnosis.

Yep, I didn't begin injecting myself until I was about 6 or 7. I imagine I would have done one or two before then, but it was only around that age I began to do mine on a daily basis, so that I could go round to friend's houses and such.

edit: oh and back then I was also on 2 injections a day, so it was just a straight up injection, I didn't have to work out carbs or anything.

I have just read it and im disgusted to say the least. I've tried to register but the site keeps coming up with an error.

How the mother must be feeling having a school (for learning) unwilling to learn about her sons needs!!!! I've got all this to come to in September and Im currently waiting for the school to give me a proposal to their care needs. I've been told that Newcastle Local Authority only give SEN to children with learning needs not health needs???? Each council is different but the diabetic children have the same needs??? How can the govement allow this prejudice.

I would rather home school my child then let him be in school with teachers that do not understand or support him.

Yep, I didn't begin injecting myself until I was about 6 or 7. I imagine I would have done one or two before then, but it was only around that age I began to do mine on a daily basis, so that I could go round to friend's houses and such.

edit: oh and back then I was also on 2 injections a day, so it was just a straight up injection, I didn't have to work out carbs or anything.

Snap with you and Tom...

I shan't add to the rants but i know my daughter is 4 and can barely understand the concept of my diabetes. I have tried explaining what a pancreas is etc but she doesn't get it..and why should she, she is only 4. Just the other day bless her, she asked me what a shoulder blade was and what does it do? Good question..i said ask your father!! On this note i may start a new thread as i am curious with any diabetic mums and how they explain it to their children....

Enough about that and i am with you guys...its appalling and makes my blood boil too...😡

Bernie xx

In my opinion I think the compensation culture we now have in this country has not helped. I do not agree with the school's decision.

People are be too afraid to get sued. I suspect the people at the school have little or no knowledge about living with diabetes.

I think that with education*, staff at the school could have been trained how to make reasonable adjustments for the vounerable young person in their care.

I once had someone collapse on my bus with a suspected heart attack. Nobody moved or said anything till I could stop by the kerb and leave the cab to assist and I had to shout to get someone to use the bus radio to get medical help while I put the man into the recovery position and put my jacket under his head to make him comfortable until the ambulance turned up.

I wonder if the school concerned could be sued for not making reasonable adjustments...?

* No pun intended.

Just shows how things vary. The school my little feller goes to has at least one dedicated person who administers medication to children with long term medical conditions. She is part of the admin staff but has been trained to do things like give asthma pumps and injections. The school also has a dedicated peadiatric (SP?) first aider and a general first aider who are also able to deal with things like hypos, asthma attacks and seizures.

My little feller is almost 6, I love him to bits, but unless someone says to him he has to have his medicine, he will forget. I know at that age some kids are very responsible, but why can't they just be allowed to get on with being children and let the grown ups worry about the serious stuff till they are older?!

Don't schools still have a nurse on site any more? I remember that when I was young (many moons ago now), there was always a school nurse available.

Andy

Don't schools still have a nurse on site any more? I remember that when I was young (many moons ago now), there was always a school nurse available.

Andy

As far as I know, unless it is a private or boarding school, or a school for special needs, there is no nurse any longer. She is too expensive. They do not even have the nit nurse with her jug of awful disinfectant and horrible steel combs....

I don't believe that schools have nurses any more which is something daft. Ok, the two private schools I went to had proper nurses but that's something else. When you've got six hundred kids to look after, half of which board there is quite the need for that.

I have just read it and im disgusted to say the least. I've tried to register but the site keeps coming up with an error.

How the mother must be feeling having a school (for learning) unwilling to learn about her sons needs!!!! I've got all this to come to in September and Im currently waiting for the school to give me a proposal to their care needs. I've been told that Newcastle Local Authority only give SEN to children with learning needs not health needs???? Each council is different but the diabetic children have the same needs??? How can the govement allow this prejudice.

I would rather home school my child then let him be in school with teachers that do not understand or support him.

Hiya, there should be funding for medical needs albeit only 5 hours a week...you should ask the SENCO to put your child on School Action Plus, this means another 5 hours would be added (from the school) to the funding. You have to keep pushing i'm afraid :( Ask the school for the DED (Disability Equality Duty) every school HAS to have one in which they state how they make reasonable adjustments to a child with a disabilty....

The school my little feller is going to gives priority to special needs children. They told us they have to comply with government guidelines and integrate as many children with any kind of special need (medical or educational) into mainstream schools as possible. We got a place but know several people who live just over the road from school who got turned down because their children are considered normal. They appealed as all the other nearby schools are failing schools, and are now home teaching!

When I started primary school back in 1969 we had a school nurse.
It's hard to believe that in this day and age there are no longer nurses at school.
So much for progress!

Hiya, there should be funding for medical needs albeit only 5 hours a week...you should ask the SENCO to put your child on School Action Plus, this means another 5 hours would be added (from the school) to the funding. You have to keep pushing i'm afraid :( Ask the school for the DED (Disability Equality Duty) every school HAS to have one in which they state how they make reasonable adjustments to a child with a disabilty....

I've just rang Newcastle Educational Needs. I have asked for him to be put on SEN or action plus as he see a speech therapist. There going to get back to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back