32.7 mmol UPDATE

Status
Not open for further replies.
As said you may be better to hang fire on the repeat HbA1C as it is an average of the past 3 months you it may not fully reflect the changes you have made.

Thanks again Rebrascora.

When I rang, all she mentioned was that my Liver Fcn Test results were normal & there was no abnormal results for the other readings. I was so disappointed about the HbA1c that I did not question this futher.

Aside from me wanting to know, in general terms how my HbA1c is, the whole point of the exercise was to see if the new meds the GP had scripted me were being effective. By the time I get another test I will have been off the meds for over a week. So any test for the efficacy will be inaccurate as they will no longer be in my system.

If I go private, a sample can be taken whilst I am still taking the Dapagliflozin. Aside from taxi fare, cost of test is £118.15 (£50 off) and I get the results within 5 days.

Not sure what to do, £118 + taxi, £22 round trip is quite a bit for me at the moment.

Thanks again Rebrascora.

When I rang, all she mentioned was that my Liver Fcn Test results were normal & there was no abnormal results for the other readings. I was so disappointed about the HbA1c that I did not question this futher.

Aside from me wanting to know, in general terms how my HbA1c is, the whole point of the exercise was to see if the new meds the GP had scripted me were being effective. By the time I get another test I will have been off the meds for over a week. So any test for the efficacy will be inaccurate as they will no longer be in my system.

If I go private, a sample can be taken whilst I am still taking the Dapagliflozin. Aside from taxi fare, cost of test is £118.15 (£50 off) and I get the results within 5 days.

Not sure what to do, £118 + taxi, £22 round trip is quite a bit for me at the moment.
I would save your money. 5 days is not exactly a quick turn around for the result.
You need to ask yourself how would you use the result.
Getting good control of blood glucose is likened to a marathon not a sprint.

Personally, I wouldn't bother, especially if they do a test next week at the GP surgery. There is no real way to show whether the medication or your dietary changes have been most effective but I would put money on the latter having a greater impact.

I am pretty sure you can get an HbA1c done cheaper by self testing. I am sure @Maca44 was getting them done quite regularly and found the results to be pretty consistent. I am very surprised they take 5 days to get your results back to you at that price. NHS results are usually back the next day or 2 and I would expect private to be better than NHS. I don't think that test is good value.

I would save your money. 5 days is not exactly a quick turn around for the result.
You need to ask yourself how would you use the result.
Getting good control of blood glucose is likened to a marathon not a sprint.
I understand this Leadinglights, but it will not be able to show the effectiveness of the new meds GP put me on as they will be out of my system if I wait

I am with others on this. Another HbA1c is going to take in your results over the past three months, so will not reflect all that you have done recently and the impact of the meds. With the NHS test the results are usually available the next days or so, and you can often access these online but your practice is unlikely to do is sooner than three months from your previous one.

Apologies if you have already told us this, but are you doing daily blood tests before and after meals. This would give you much more immediate information of the impact of your changes. The HbA1c is good for giving a comparison through the year, but the daily tests, or when you want to know the impact of things is much more instant. These work on different units from the HbA1c.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back