30 day average......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being T1 using a insulin pump I have a very intensive testing regime 10-12 times a day on adverage!

I always stick to the same meter for blood testing, and always take noting down my last adverage readings just before having my bloods done, so that when I get the result I can look back..

It's more for a matter of interest I do this rather than for control purposes, however I do keep an eye on what the adverages are saying, as if they start to creep up, then there could be a control glitch that I'm not clocking on daily testing, so it can prompt a review of my data to see if I'm missing anything!

Interestingly, hubby's meter adverages read about 1mmol/l above his HbA1c results, but his adverages only goes upto 30 days..

I only just discovered the function a month back............cant wait to compare results..............

The difference between the two is clear, just a bit of fun..............:D

Nice thread, loving the formulas cliff..............

Last edited:
thanks Cliff, yes i knew they were different. Thats why i dont worry too much by the meter averages, obvioulsy i use the meter as a control of my here and now bg. And to spot trends and sort them etc. Make sure im safe to drive, exercise etc.

Im not great at maths so i will just wait and see what my hba1c results are, could not begin to work them out, would only confuse myself.

Thanks for the formula Cliff. Had seen the conversion tools before, but nice to see what's going on behind the scenes.

For what it's worth I prefer my meter average/graphs to HbA1c cos I know I can cheat a low A1c with a hatful of hypos 🙂

M

Thanks for the formula Cliff. Had seen the conversion tools before, but nice to see what's going on behind the scenes.

For what it's worth I prefer my meter average/graphs to HbA1c cos I know I can cheat a low A1c with a hatful of hypos 🙂

M

Very true............the same can be said with a hatful of highs.........:(

I'm another one who actually knows the difference between the two,

Along side that some meter actually calculate the whole blood measurement and present it as a plasma calibrated reading!

As I've already said that the information I gain from my adverages and the comparison is a matter of interest and not used my daily control even though at times it can act as a prompt to have an indepth look and review why my meter adverage has increased?

Oh dear this will make you feel better novorapidboi26 , i too have nano which is part of the pump as expert aviser so .....

7 days is .. 12.9 :(
14 days is ...11.9 :(

and because only been on pump 30 days and 60 days and 90 days is the same at 11.9 , so you can see why i was desperately in need of the pump , hopfully i can come back in a couple of months with much better results 🙂

60 days 8.3
30 days 8.4
14 days 8.8 :(
7 days 9.7 😱

Using the formulas you provided is the BG the average 90 day blood glucose?

Yes it is, but for it to get close to the right answer, you need a very good spread of results including fasting readings, pre-meal and post-meal. It seems to work for me, but bear in mind it's based on averages of the readings of a vast number of people and it won't work for everyone.

M

T2's can also cheat the HbA1c by going low carb for a few weeks prior to the test, as the results are skewed towards more recent BG events - but then, you're only fooling yourself.

Carol's averages are:

7 days 8.4

14 days 8.4

30 days 8.2 - the 8.2 translate into 6.8 A1c which would be nice, but it only means she's had too many hypos.

Personally I regard the HbA1c results, the average BG reading and the spread of BG results as all being useful and should be taken together to get a useful assessment of your overall control. As such I am a little unsure what the value is of estimating your HbA1c from your average BG results, especially with doubts about the accuracy of such an estimate.

The HbA1c does provide an average of sorts based on your BG for the past three months but an average that is weighted towards the values closer to when the blood sample was taken. I regard this as a very useful starting figure because in the absence of a CGM it is the only figure based on the full 24 hours readings.

I dont bother with the averages on my meter, as i take bg at random times when i know it will be out of my set range, eg, after eating breakfast before driving etc. I dont think it is a true reflection of "average" bg readings. Not for me anyway.
The BG readings you take on your meter are fairly accurate readings of your BG at the time it is read. It does therefore depend on how frequent you take these readings and when you take them, unless you have a CGM device. This gives you insight on how you are doing on a day to day basis when you are taking the readings. As Tracey says above it is influenced by the time at which the readings are taken and in addition to the effect of meals very few readings are taken when you are sleeping. Still it is fair to say that the BG averages can reveal trends and viewing the results as a whole can help reveal patterns.
... For what it's worth I prefer my meter average/graphs to HbA1c cos I know I can cheat a low A1c with a hatful of hypos ...
This is true for people on insulin but frequent hypos can also affect your average BG, especially if you take more frequent readings around these events. This is why knowing your range of BG readings is also useful, if you are regularly switching between highs and lows then you can provide a better insight for a given HbA1c of BG average reading.

I do find that a problem can arise if the clinic consultant and/or GP is too concerned with the HbA1c figure because that is the value they have in their notes for you. One of the principal reasons why I think it is often better to discuss your results and control with your DSN is that they generally have more time than the clinic consultants and more insight than most GPs so that they can take in the broader picture that your own BG readings can provide.

The other point to remember though is that you should try to avoid getting too hung up on the figures being the only goal as they only provide so much insight. The other and perhaps more important factors are how you actually feel and whether or not you are comfortable with how you are controlling your diabetes. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back