21.7 at 3am this morning

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sam,

I know you've had D for 14 years and please don't think I'm trying to interfere. I just want to throw some ideas your way.

Pasta is a pain in the bum for all of us. I reckon your insulin ran out before your body had processed the pasta.

It takes different people different amounts of time to digest it.

Do you honestly know how long it takes your body to use/digest pasta? If you are not sure are you willing to try and find out? Don't be embarrassed if you don't know.

If you get the CGM would you be willing to try all your difficult foods while you have it?

The T1 teenager I know did that and worked out when his insulin was running out (pasta, white bread etc) and worked out how to space out boluses.

yo tez, no worries on the interfering thing XD

I've never ever had problems from spag bol like that even with bigger portions. Recently started weighing the stuff too. Last time I had an issue with it, it was worked out that problems came about 6 hours after I ate the stuff 🙂 that was with big portions. Since cutting portions down to the 100g thingywhatsit, things seem to have been ok.

It's a proper mystery that 21. Ne'er mind though, lets see how tonight goes :D

can i just throw it in there that i've heard recently that you shouldn't actually *need* any slow acting carbs, because your background insulin should keep you stable. i'm guessing it came from a nerd in a room somewhere, because we all know that it doesn't work like that...it does whatever the hell it likes. but an interesting theory.

can i just throw it in there that i've heard recently that you shouldn't actually *need* any slow acting carbs, because your background insulin should keep you stable. i'm guessing it came from a nerd in a room somewhere, because we all know that it doesn't work like that...it does whatever the hell it likes. but an interesting theory.

Hi Shiv, I have also heard this too. I think its because they have realised that 15 carbs is enough to get out of most hypo states and giving more slow release is just making people spike hours later. It is absolutely the rule on the pump that only 15 carbs and no slow release is needed or you will spike without doubt.
Dont forget that if you have had a couple of hypo's and treated them - you will almost definately have a rebound effect hours later - which is what i suspect happened to Sam.🙂Bev

Hello,

Sounds like a right beast. What did you do when you found out you were 21? Did you inject or just leave it? And what were your levels like when you woke up?

I've just started using a CGM and I think if you get one from the hospital you'll find it really helpful but also frustrating and surprising.

It's amazing how much my levels do spike up after eating, depending on food. So I'm wondering if the 21 came back down on its own or whether you injected?

Hope you're feeling better today!

Hello,

Sounds like a right beast. What did you do when you found out you were 21? Did you inject or just leave it? And what were your levels like when you woke up?

I've just started using a CGM and I think if you get one from the hospital you'll find it really helpful but also frustrating and surprising.

It's amazing how much my levels do spike up after eating, depending on food. So I'm wondering if the 21 came back down on its own or whether you injected?

Hope you're feeling better today!

Hi flower, i had 5u of novorapid and woke up on 9.8 🙂

Ahh ok - obviously wasn't just a spike from the food because you obv needed the insulin to come back down. Perhaps a glucose dump then as you said and maybe slightly too much to eat for the low. I always overeat when i'm low though because sometimes it takes so long to come back up.

But yes - CGMs are very interesting but you have to get used to not reacting when you see the numbers go up -its taken a bit of getting used to!

Ahh ok - obviously wasn't just a spike from the food because you obv needed the insulin to come back down. Perhaps a glucose dump then as you said and maybe slightly too much to eat for the low. I always overeat when i'm low though because sometimes it takes so long to come back up.

But yes - CGMs are very interesting but you have to get used to not reacting when you see the numbers go up -its taken a bit of getting used to!

yeah, i don't think id leave it at that lol. This was going on 8 hours or more after i'd eaten, so I reckon a mix of slightly overeating for the hypo mixed in with a bit of glucose dumping too, mucked me up a bit there 🙂

I know how to treat a hypo thank you, I have had this for 14 years. Of course I had slow acting carbs too, I had some toast. I also know the science behind it.

Not only that, I have found that just having glucotabs works fine with me. I don't always need to have a slow acting

I find this interesting, as I saw the first post, and you didn't mention you had toast, so please forgive my mother for commenting on the UN EDITED post 🙂

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back