2 faulty sensors in a row

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 33898
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder can the libre only work properly when within a certain range or very stable levels. Since starting on the sensor last July 4 have failed for me. I follow all instructions. A faulty sensor can cause me to over correct with carbs or insulin, my latest sensor for example won't register anything above 10 mmol yet a finger prick will reveal im 13 mmol, so I've probably been hitting higher peaks without realising until now, so I haven't been taking any action to fix this . Then it also says I'm much higher than iam sometimes, showing 5 mmol but I'm as low as 2.8 with finger prick( the high or low readings never show on graph) If I could get a different sensor through the NHS I would. Have had way too many problems. Some weeks my levels look great then terrible with the same routine and now I wonder has the libre just been giving me the wrong readings. How much is the company doing to minimise these issues. Probably not alot. Sure they'll replace a sensor easy enough but do they care about the minority that constantly have issues, apparently not. I even put in a query about these issues and haven't heard anything back.
Hey Jazz
You are a member of apparently a minority group (according to another member) of people who have real issues with Libre sensors. I'm in the same alleged minority. Regrettably the usual response is "human error" ie the person is doing something to contribute to and cause the problem. Personally I think that's a weak response and also doesn't allow the possibility that Abbott are not manufacturing high enough quality products i.e. there is a quality control issue. The other way to look at it is, even as a minority of users, those of us reporting issues indicate a failure rate high enough to warrant investigation. If insulin "failed To work" at the same level there would be an outcry and immediate action.
I'm just frustrated with it all, I don't think any positive constructive response will ever be had from Abbott.

It’s simply down to reliability; something happened between Libre 1, which I never had a problem with, but Libre 2, supposedly an advance, things are very different. Not with sensors falling off, that is a personal error in application, but in the occasional wayward readings. Abbott got into the NHS early, and have cornered the discussions about which CGM should be prescribed. They price them cheaper than competitors, and boy do they perform like corners have been cut somewhere.

Switching from the Libre 2 to Dexcom has been like switching from a 1970 Skoda to a BMW. OK, it’s more expensive but it is far more accurate, even when low down, and never more than 0,5 astray when my BG is relatively stable. I occasionally have to calibrate it, but far less often than I would wish to do that with the Libre. I know that you can get Apps that allow you to do that, but you shouldn’t need to do that if Abbott had any nous. And if your watch converses with your phone, you get readings on your watch without any additional apps, or techie tweaks. I would never go back to the Libre

It’s simply down to reliability; something happened between Libre 1, which I never had a problem with, but Libre 2, supposedly an advance, things are very different. Not with sensors falling off, that is a personal error in application, but in the occasional wayward readings. Abbott got into the NHS early, and have cornered the discussions about which CGM should be prescribed. They price them cheaper than competitors, and boy do they perform like corners have been cut somewhere.

Switching from the Libre 2 to Dexcom has been like switching from a 1970 Skoda to a BMW. OK, it’s more expensive but it is far more accurate, even when low down, and never more than 0,5 astray when my BG is relatively stable. I occasionally have to calibrate it, but far less often than I would wish to do that with the Libre. I know that you can get Apps that allow you to do that, but you shouldn’t need to do that if Abbott had any nous. And if your watch converses with your phone, you get readings on your watch without any additional apps, or techie tweaks. I would never go back to the Libre
That's really interesting. And confirms my suspicions. Not sure I can privately fund dexcom but I would certainly give it a shot if I could, just to prove my concerns re:Abbott quality control were true.

My experience is of frequent "come back in 10 minutes" has increased massively. I now translate it as "go and do a blood finger prick test coz you're wasting your time here".

I think you've nailed it regards Abbott cornering the market and competitive pricing. The CCGs who commission and sign off the purchase of this stuff are difficult to motivate into action. I know this because I'm a healthcare professional and I live with the consequences of their sometimes bizarre and random decision making. Shoot me now.......

Switching from the Libre 2 to Dexcom has been like switching from a 1970 Skoda to a BMW
I find this very interesting and when combined with a conversation I had with a diabetes tech rep recently I realise that the correct CGM for us is such a personal matter.
I have tried five different CGMs and, of all of them, the Dexcom G6 (I had the G4 many years ago) was by far the least accurate for me.
It is a huge shame that it is not possible to trial them all and make a decision based on our own body's reaction rather reviews from other people and their body's reaction.

The more I read about the problems with Libre 2 the more happy I am staying with Libre 1 which works brilliantly for me. OK it doesn't have the alarms but I don't really need them anyway and it is really pretty accurate for me.... just double checked this sensor since my levels are currently stable and it is reading 8.6 and finger prick gives me an 8.7..... time for another correction 🙄 Checked it yesterday and it was 0.2 out when I was in the 5s, so really happy with that.

I wonder if those people experiencing significant problems with Libre 2 might be better using Libre 1 and reader, even just to see if it improves things. My feeling is that it may be something to do with the algorithm on the Libre 2/phone app. I do wonder if that is why @helli has less/no problems because she is using xdrip.

@rebrascora if my hypo awareness was better I'd be happy to not have alarms. Though to be fair it's only a correct alarm reading half the time. Maybe work on better control and then I'll consider the libre 1. Will they continue to provide the libre 1 even with libre 3 making its way through though? What is xdrip ? Never heard of it.

Will they continue to provide the libre 1 even with libre 3 making its way through though?
We'll see, I guess. Libre 3 seems to be differently treated (perhaps because it requires a smartphone whereas previous versions can use a reader, though I suspect the NHS doesn't have quite such a good deal for it).

What is xdrip ?
xDrip is an alternative Android app for reading CGMs (it was initially written for Dexcom) that is written and maintained by the open source community.
The advantages over LIbreLink app are
- ability to calibrate
- no need to scan
- all reports are in one app with no need for a separate LibreView program

However, it is a techy product which requires a fair understanding of how to use an Android phone beyond just downloading an app (the app isn't available form the PayStore).

@helli I'll check it out and see how I go thanks
The best source of information is the xDrip Facebook group.
It is a private group but they seem to accept most requests.

From the Facebook group, you can get access to documents and the software plus access to some very helpful support guys (although they mat get annoyed if you ask questions without using Search 🙂 )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back