1st time using glucose meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had porridge and berries, I know its got carbs but I was told it would help as I have very high cholesterol too and not on any medication for it yet (waiting list for Lipid Clinic is 8 months)
I know it would be unusual thing to have but you may tolerate that food later in the day say for lunch and try a lower carb breakfast.

I had porridge and berries, I know its got carbs but I was told it would help as I have very high cholesterol too and not on any medication for it yet (waiting list for Lipid Clinic is 8 months)
how comes you got to wait 8 months for medication Jenny? When one of my blood test for cholesterol came back a little high they were ready to prescribe statins there and then :confused:

Last edited:
how comes you got to wait 8 months for medication Jenny? When one of my blood test for cholesterol can back a little high they were ready to prescribe statins there and then :confused:

I got a phone call the day after a blood test asking me if I wanted statins! No wait at all.

just been out for an hours walk, 30 mins to get my nails done and 30 min walk back, tested again and its 2, feel hungry and weak but not terrible will test again at 4

how comes you got to wait 8 months for medication Jenny? When one of my blood test for cholesterol came back a little high they were ready to prescribe statins there and then :confused:
I asked the same thing when I chased my appointment, and was told there is a back log of patients due to covid (but they doesnt explain why my own GP could prescribe anything) My GP is lovely but it feels like we are learning together, for example I asked her about what diet to follow and a leaflet on the condition, she told me to look online, but only the NHS website. (this one has been more helpful to be honest)

Then she sent me a confirmation text saying test results conclude I have diabetes. A lipid clinic appointment and an appointment with the Diabetes nurse and a liver scan will be arranged. I chased up all 3 of the appointments, managed to get a Liver scan at a local surgery that offers them, also sorted the diabetes appointment but when I rang about the Lipid appointment I was told it wont be for at least 8 months, which means Feb next year! I got depressed and confused with little information being given (except for on this forum), I managed to get a telephone appointment with my doctor, I mentioned that I had been contacted by the dermatology department again as they missed of the B.12 test and I need to arrange it, then she said she had several other tests she wanted to carry out, I booked this in, but it was cancelled by the surgery due to them having too many staff off with COVID..

I know 2 is low, but I feel happier now knowing that exercise does indeed lower my levels. I will try and have a 20 minute bout of exercise after each meal even if its just jogging on the spot 🙂

I would be starting to doubt the accuracy and reliability of your meter when it is giving you a reading of 2. Did you do a second test with a new test strip to double check that? I know there is a reasonable margin of error with meters but that is beyond what would be reasonable. You wouldn't just feel a bit wobbly at 2 you would be passing out or very close to it. You should be double checking any result which doesn't seem right.

I think you need to contact the manufacturer and get some control solution sent out to test it if there isn't any in the kit.

I think you need to contact the manufacturer and get some control solution sent out to test it if there isn't any in the kit.
I think I will do this, although I am feeling incredibly nauseas now, but think its dehydration as have only drunk 1 coffee and no water today. I avoid drinking when I am walking somewhere with access to toilets but I thought that would make the sugar level higher not lower, I wonder if my meter is faulty

agree with the control solution but also dehydration can give off readings too.
Did you retest?

agree with the control solution but also dehydration can give off readings too.
Did you retest?
I didnt but will at 4pm, I havent got many strips or needles with this kit, I have ordered more but wanted to save them to see a day or so and see if there is a pattern correlating to what I have eaten. I imagine 4pm should be quite low as virtually no carbs in this meal

Let me tell you about a group of rebels who only change their lancets once a year (or when it feel dull)
not that we would ever recommend following our bad practices of course 😉

Strips you have to pop a new one with tho unfortunately

Let me tell you about a group of rebels who only change their lancets once a year (or when it feel dull)
not that we would ever recommend following our bad practices of course 😉

Strips you have to pop a new one with tho unfortunately
Right I have given in and done it again, this time 9.2 - I ate 3 slices of cooked turkey with salad, according to my fitness scaning food app, my lunch was under 200 cal and 12.9 carbs, so I am guessing it wouldnt shoot from 2 to 9.2 in an hour with that meal

I am going to take comfort in the fact that on 29th June my glucose reading was 19.4 so at least I am lower than that

so I am guessing it wouldnt shoot from 2 to 9.2 in an hour with that meal
No, the 2 is obviously not right. You're not on medication that could cause such a low value and you didn't describe doing the sorts of things that could conceivably cause a hypo given that (and I'd bet it would be quite tricky to get quite that low anyway).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back