1st Knee replacement

ChrisW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I am having my 1st knee replacement on the 6th December (a Sunday) and I wonder if anyone else has had major surgery when being T1D in the middle of a pandemic? I am retired and live alone fortunately in a bungalow but I am still worried at how I will manage particularly with diet as I will possibly have to rely on ready meals. Any friendly 'face' will be welcome as I have no family and really need some support xx

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I am not Type 1 and don't live alone, but I had a knee replacement 3 1/2 years ago. I ended up staying in hospital an extra day as initially one of the pain killers made me very sick. I had no problems with healing. I was glad I had it done.

ChrisW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Thank you for this I am hoping this one goes OK as in 6 - 12 weeks I am having the other one done which is the more serious one. Right knee first as that is my driving leg so it will be easier and I will be mobile in 6 weeks but had I had the left done first I would be out of action for months as the left had a reconstruction done on it with grafts so the recovery may be longer. How long before you were completely mobile again and was it very painful?

grovesy

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Thank you for this I am hoping this one goes OK as in 6 - 12 weeks I am having the other one done which is the more serious one. Right knee first as that is my driving leg so it will be easier and I will be mobile in 6 weeks but had I had the left done first I would be out of action for months as the left had a reconstruction done on it with grafts so the recovery may be longer. How long before you were completely mobile again and was it very painful?
I could not drive at 6 weeks but I think that was more because my drivers seat was not the right position, at the time I had a nearly 20 year old Nissan Almeria.

everydayupsanddowns

Administrator
Staff member
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hope your op goes well @ChrisW

If you are worried about food, do you have any opportunity between now and Dec 6 to get some easy meal ‘kits’ (several store cupboard staples that can combine to make a meal), or possibly put things in a freezer if you have one?

Last edited:

Pumper_Sue

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi everyone, I am having my 1st knee replacement on the 6th December (a Sunday) and I wonder if anyone else has had major surgery when being T1D in the middle of a pandemic? I am retired and live alone fortunately in a bungalow but I am still worried at how I will manage particularly with diet as I will possibly have to rely on ready meals. Any friendly 'face' will be welcome as I have no family and really need some support xx
Hello Chris and welcome to the forum.
Just a suggestion, have you thought about doing some batch cooking and dumping the lot in the freezer? Even if you resort to ready meals there shouldn't be a problem as long as you count the carbs correctly.
Hopefully you will be up and running again very quickly and good luck with the surgery.

Drummer

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have a plug in induction hob, so I could put it on a low table and cook with that, sitting down.
Presumably you would have some mobility, just not want to be standing, so chopped up meat in the freezer would be a good stand by, and such things as the bags of Lidl frozen stir fry would be handy - only two 'flavours' but tasty, I find.