Status
Not open for further replies.
There are lots of things to learn. It will take many years and even then the experts get caught out!

ok thanks for your help cos i didnt no fatty foods u shouldnt have either

no no! you can definitely have fatty foods! it's just that the fat in foods slows down the release of the carbohydrate, so it takes longer to digest. that's why you treat a hypo with lucozade/glucotabs/juice (no fat) and not chocolate - chocolate contains fat which means it will break down slower, thus it will take longer for your levels to come up.

so how come someone said i will be still hight after four hours cos of the fat then

your insulin peaks at around 1.5hrs/2hrs (novorapid right?) after you take it. but if your food takes longer - eg 4 hours - then your insulin peak will have gone, so your levels will still be high.

Fat slows down digestion. Your novorapid only lasts for a certain amount of time. If your novorapid runs out before your body has digested the food your blood glucose may go up again.

your insulin peaks at around 1.5hrs/2hrs (novorapid right?) after you take it. but if your food takes longer - eg 4 hours - then your insulin peak will have gone, so your levels will still be high.

and its why alot of people, myself included, do split doses for fatty foods but check with your dsn first

Hi Matthew - just wondering how your levels were later on? Hope you were ok overnight

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back