100 Days To Christmas

I mentioned Christmas Mugs while pouring my coffee this morning.

Apparently it’s WAY too early to even think about mentioning such things. 😱 :rofl:

Thanks to Spotify I now have a list of Xmas songs that I haven't heard a thousand times before. They don't come out until December though. A couple of years ago we went to a Christmas concert by Katie Spencer at the Monks Walk in Beverley. She sang a Joni Mitchell song called River. I downloaded the original as Katie didn't record it. It has been covered by the Glee cast, the arrangement is the same as the original but the vocals are better.

Our Christmas playlist has evolved and improved over many years, and I really look forward to hearing it every year (December only!).

There might be a few in there you’ve not heard yet

Last edited:
Christmas shouldn't be allowed until 6th November! It's too early. Love it though.

We were in one of our local garden centres yesterday and the staff were busy setting up their Xmas display. The place was a mass of tinsel, baubles and boxes - some being emptied, most still waiting to be opened. It all looked a bit disorganised but I'm sure it'll look fantastic when they're done - it usually does.

Our Christmas playlist has evolved and improved over many years, and I really look forward to hearing it every year (December only!).

My favourite Xmas song is Mary's Boy Child by Boney M, a traditional carol given a pop makeover. We have it on a CD of Xmas hits. Unfortunately the CD also contains my least favourite - I Wish It Could Be Xmas Every Day by Wizzard.

Xmas-themed pop songs seem to be out of fashion these days. The ones you hear on the radio during the festive season seem to be mostly from the back end of the 20th Century - Wham, Slade, Mudd etc

My favourite Xmas song is Mary's Boy Child by Boney M, a traditional carol given a pop makeover. We have it on a CD of Xmas hits. Unfortunately the CD also contains my least favourite - I Wish It Could Be Xmas Every Day by Wizzard.

Xmas-themed pop songs seem to be out of fashion these days. The ones you hear on the radio during the festive season seem to be mostly from the back end of the 20th Century - Wham, Slade, Mudd etc
Yes, I like 'Mary's Boy Child' too - although of course 'Rasputin' was their best song.

I guess deciding whether or not it's "improved" would require a comparison between the newcomers and the ones that have been dropped :confused:. For example, I don't understand why 'Blue Christmas' by Elvis doesn't get heard as much nowadays.

Ah...Christmas songs...Oh how love them.My favourites are "Merry Christmas Everybody"by Slade,"Mary's boy child"by Boney M and Nat King Coles version of "The Christmas Song"

Its not christmas until you have heard Stop The Cavalry by Jona Lewis in at least half a dozen shops whilst walking around town. Guess that means there could be no Christmas this year as struggling to think of half a dozen shops that remain open in Crewe.

Its not christmas until you have heard Stop The Cavalry by Jona Lewis in at least half a dozen shops whilst walking around town. Guess that means there could be no Christmas this year as struggling to think of half a dozen shops that remain open in Crewe.
It’s my understanding stop the cavalry was never written intentionally a “Christmas tune?”

I thought the festive season begins when we first hear Mariah Carey's All I Want For Xmas Is You, especially after it featured in Love Actually.

It’s my understanding stop the cavalry was never written intentionally a “Christmas tune?”
It's an anti-war song about a soldier's wish to be home for Christmas during World War I.

Our local co-op has been selling mince pies for several weeks now, I can deal with that, who can’t eat a mince pie at any time of year, and they are also selling hot cross buns alongside. But this week, they had Christmas Puddings!! Too soon!!

@CliffH @Martin.A @stephenS50

Mary’s Boy Child, Stop the Cavalry, Wombling Merry Christmas, Slade, and Wizzard (sorry Martin) all present and correct.

Nat King Cole’s Christmas song was dropped for outdated reference / slur to Inuit and other artic ethnic minorities (we must look for an updated version by someone else, there’s bound to be one)

Elvis’s Blue Christmas was upgraded only last year to the Muppet ‘Cookie Monster’ version. And I don’t think anyone can argue with that! :D :D :D

Nice to see all the Muppet songs on that list. I really can't stand The Little Drummer Boy. Still love Wizzard, back in the 1970s I was quite a fan of Wizzard generally. They also did Rock And Roll Winter which is on my festive playlist as I think that it qualifies.

Back