Very Dry Skin - Low carb diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenny65

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Since changing my diet, most results have been positive, but one thing which I dont know if it is connected is the skin on my face is incredibly dry. I was always commented on as have very soft skin, but now i touch it and it feels like grit around my forehead, eyebrows and nose its so dry. I have started using a hyaluronic acid and a moisturiser with added vitamins, but I still feel like a reptile! The only difference apart from my diet is that I havent worn make up since lockdown except on the odd occassion I go to a party. I wonder if the make up I used to wear daily helped keep my skin nice, or perhaps its the menopause.

Any suggestions how I make it soft again? I assume the high fat content in my previous diet was why it was so smooth and soft

According to a quick google low carb can either improve skin (Prevent Acne) or give you a rash called 'Keto Rash'!

I think Keto Rash is caused by ketones in the sweat.

According to a quick google low carb can either improve skin (Prevent Acne) or give you a rash called 'Keto Rash'!

I think Keto Rash is caused by ketones in the sweat.
I may just be unlucky, I dont think this is a rash. It feels like little bits of sand under the skin but it isnt red its skin coloured. I have never had acne or skin issues, even as a teenager so this is new to me and im starting to realise how lucky I was in the past. (Apart from Nodular Prurigo on my arms and back in lockdown which has cleared up) My daughter said it could be caused by my glasses, as over the bridge of the nose where they sit is the worst affected, but I have worn glasses for years, so why now

In general I find my skin is better now on a low carb diet, but I eat a lot of fat. Maybe once you get down to target weight and perhaps increase your fat intake to maintainance level then it will improve.
That said, at this time of year, I seem to almost go through a moult, so I go through a week or two of my skin being quite dry and flakey and yuk and I just keep on top of exfoliating and moisturing until I get over it.
I use a cheapy Lidl "Cien" Q10 serum and that seems to really suit my skin.

I may just be unlucky, I dont think this is a rash. It feels like little bits of sand under the skin but it isnt red its skin coloured. I have never had acne or skin issues, even as a teenager so this is new to me and im starting to realise how lucky I was in the past. (Apart from Nodular Prurigo on my arms and back in lockdown which has cleared up) My daughter said it could be caused by my glasses, as over the bridge of the nose where they sit is the worst affected, but I have worn glasses for years, so why now
That could be unrelated to dietary change then. I wouldn't like to venture a guess what it is without further info, but a quick Google on skin coloured rashes doesn't seem to suggest any red flags from that symptom alone. Depending how worried you are it may be worth going to a walk in centre for them to look (and hopefully reassure you), or ask for GP appointment

It's yer age and yer 'ormones, luv. Our skin, like most bits of us, needs more help as time goes on. Just ensure you slap the cream on both before bed and in the morning.

Vitamin deficiencies can cause dry skin too @Jenny65 - often the B vitamins. It might be worth taking a supplement if you’re not already. You can get B Complex ones pretty cheaply.

Also, are you drinking enough water? Maybe you need more on your low carb diet?

Since changing my diet, most results have been positive, but one thing which I dont know if it is connected is the skin on my face is incredibly dry. I was always commented on as have very soft skin, but now i touch it and it feels like grit around my forehead, eyebrows and nose its so dry. I have started using a hyaluronic acid and a moisturiser with added vitamins, but I still feel like a reptile! The only difference apart from my diet is that I havent worn make up since lockdown except on the odd occassion I go to a party. I wonder if the make up I used to wear daily helped keep my skin nice, or perhaps its the menopause.

Any suggestions how I make it soft again? I assume the high fat content in my previous diet was why it was so smooth and soft
Have you been trying to do low fat as well as low carb?
I was eating a low fat diet for almost 2 years before I was diagnosed, and found that the natural fats in the meat etc I began eating again changed my skin completely. I cut out the seed oils at the same time and my skin will now stand sunlight - it was agony to go out without factor 50 sunscreen, I have a light tan this year for the first time in decades, ny skin is soft and supple. I was lucky enough to go through menopause sometime when my old GP had left and I had not needed to go to the clinic, so I was eating low carb high fat. I can't tell when it happened, as I never noticed, never had any symptoms.
We need fat to make hormones and other substances, so low fat is not a good idea.
You might have been told to that it will lower your cholesterol - but we make cholesterol in our livers, putting it together from its component parts (someone checked starting with eggs and going through various claims one by one). You might have been told that cholesterol is bad - but having low cholesterol seems to be a negative for longer life and it doesn't protect the heart as has been pointed out by at least two heart surgeons as over half their patients have below average cholesterol numbers.

I am low carb but have always had dry skin. I do eat good fats regularly

Have you been trying to do low fat as well as low carb?
I was eating a low fat diet for almost 2 years before I was diagnosed, and found that the natural fats in the meat etc I began eating again changed my skin completely. I cut out the seed oils at the same time and my skin will now stand sunlight - it was agony to go out without factor 50 sunscreen, I have a light tan this year for the first time in decades, ny skin is soft and supple. I was lucky enough to go through menopause sometime when my old GP had left and I had not needed to go to the clinic, so I was eating low carb high fat. I can't tell when it happened, as I never noticed, never had any symptoms.
We need fat to make hormones and other substances, so low fat is not a good idea.
You might have been told to that it will lower your cholesterol - but we make cholesterol in our livers, putting it together from its component parts (someone checked starting with eggs and going through various claims one by one). You might have been told that cholesterol is bad - but having low cholesterol seems to be a negative for longer life and it doesn't protect the heart as has been pointed out by at least two heart surgeons as over half their patients have below average cholesterol numbers.

This stuff about low cholesterol being bad for older people was based on a study that was found to be flawed.
In fact statins have been shown to lower the risks in older people by reducing cholesterol.

Surprise surprise, the flawed paper was written by people flogging books.

And the reason half of the heart patients may not have 'high' cholesterol may be because the limits are too low.
When you look at heart patients with below acceptable cholesterol, they may be all bunched up just below the limit.

This stuff about low cholesterol being bad for older people was based on a study that was found to be flawed.
In fact statins have been shown to lower the risks in older people by reducing cholesterol.

Surprise surprise, the flawed paper was written by people flogging books.

And the reason half of the heart patients may not have 'high' cholesterol may be because the limits are too low.
When you look at heart patients with below acceptable cholesterol, they may be all bunched up just below the limit.

The problem with confirmation bias is once you find a study you like, it just gets passed around the internet circle you want to believe in, and reaffirmed even more.

What's your hair like?
Any change there?
My hair has grown and is now thick and glossier and my nails have grown too, just the skin and only on my face

I did actually wonder if high cholesterol could cause these bumps but they are not noticeable to the eye, just when I touch them

Sounds like patch of dermatitis to me, no dr so just own thoughts.

Can't see it being diet related, especially low fat as wife uses low fat products & has healthy looking skin.

Probably best to get pharmacist to take a look or your gp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back