That time of month :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jenniw1990

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi Ladies (sorry Gents)

please could i ask

1) Before you were diagnosed with Diabetes, did you have any problems with your monthlys? i.e irregular, turning up before it should do or even not at all? If yes....when you got your diagnosis and started treatment did they go back to normal?

2) Do periods affect BG levels?

3) does anybody else like me, a week before i am due on i just crave food in general...i mean anything and everything, i never seem to be satisfied with anything. Before my diagnosis i would grab sweets, crisps, chocolate, bread, you name it i found it!!! what on earth am i meant to do now, as giving these up without being on has been so difficult but when my first period comes thats going to be hell on earth !!!

TIA :)

No - I never in my life had a regular cycle and my periods were always so mega heavy it was a complete relief when I was 17+ and discovered the Brook Advisory Centre and went on the pill (from all points of view! LOL) 4+ years later when I was diagnosed I stayed on the pill. When I was 35 I thought I didn't really want to take the pill for ever, so I had my tubes tied and stopped the pill. Periods just as vile as in my teens plus I got HRT in spades - red mist once a month so hormones prescribed. Cured the red mist anyway.

I'd be interested to know what your BG is doing at that time of the month - although I think the majority of girls run higher, though wanting to eat everything in sight would be more connected to running a lower BG than normal.

Have you had all the tests like GAD antibodies and C-peptide, cos it occurs to me that you're a tad youthful for run of the mill T2?

I find I need less insulin starting just before my period and throughout.

Hello Jenny
I can't answer your first 2 questions as I was diagnosed Type 2 later in life.
BUT I can still relate to your 3rd question, as this still happens to me fairly frequently.
Generally I follow my low sugar/lowcarb plan and enjoy it, but now and then I will get overwhelming cravings for all the 'no-go' stuff, and I will eat ANYTHING sweet and high carb that I can lay my hands on, nothing is safe, and if there are no sweets in the house I'll go to great lengths to get them. One year I even ate all the children's Easter eggs! Horrible behaviour!
So I have developed some coping strategies that work to some extent:
1) Ensure that there is minimum temptation stuff around - not easy though if there are others in the household. - but share the problem with them and get them to help if you can by keeping the difficult stuff away from you.(Totally extreme, but we recently had a kitchen make-over, and set up my husband with his own fridge for his carby stuff, and it's too high up for me to reach(?)).
2) If I go out for a walk I don't take any money so that I can't stop off at any shop.(more difficult in the days of touch payment on the phone)
3) Distraction. Try to get involved in something that will absorb you. I always have a 'to do' list so chose something off that. There is usually some improvement and tidying done in the house after one of these episodes.
4) Time extension. Say to yourself that you will wait say half hour before you eat, and gradually try to extend the time. Sometimes the craving will have passed by the end of the time.
5) Indulge a little, but ensure that you limit what you do.
6) If none of this works, then just accept that this has happened, and stop when you can. Then don't beat yourself up about it and return to your good eating plan. Don't go into a negative cycle of ' I've ruined it all so may as well keep eating' You haven't it is a temporary lapse, and you can now carry on down the forward positive road.

These are some of the things that have helped me, but we are all different so you need to work out what is best for you - I am sure that you will.
Good luck and keep up the good work you are doing for yourself.

1) Yes. Mine got very irregular, then stopped completely shortly before my diagnosis. I thought I was rather more menopausal than I was, so it was a big shock when they started again about six months later!

2) Yes. I'm post-menopausal now, but they always lowered mine.

3) Um, I can't remember, sorry! Can you eat dark (85% cocoa) chocolate (as that's not too sugary) and limit yourself to a square or two at a time?

Hi Ladies (sorry Gents)

please could I ask

1) Before you were diagnosed with Diabetes, did you have any problems with your monthlys? i.e irregular, turning up before it should do or even not at all? If yes....when you got your diagnosis and started treatment did they go back to normal?

2) Do periods affect BG levels?

3) does anybody else like me, a week before I am due on I just crave food in general... I mean anything and everything, I never seem to be satisfied with anything. Before my diagnosis I would grab sweets, crisps, chocolate, bread, you name it I found it!!! what on earth am I meant to do now, as giving these up without being on has been so difficult but when my first period comes that's going to be hell on earth !!!

TIA :)
Hi, Great questions
1) Mine had become a little bit irregular, as I had missed one and went to my GP, that something was wrong that I had missed one, but they came back soon after, they have been not always a straight cycle of 28 days sometimes 29 or 30 depending on my activity.
2) Yes, I find mine are quite high sometimes, I have a pre-menstrual setting on my meter which gives me more Bolus insulin if I need it.
3) I'm getting better at this! I have not been this time, but that's probaly because I'm keeping busy with other things, planning a holiday, appointments and house sitting. So keeping myself busy helps plus also time to chill out and relax with a hot bath and some tea!

No - I never in my life had a regular cycle and my periods were always so mega heavy it was a complete relief when I was 17+ and discovered the Brook Advisory Centre and went on the pill (from all points of view! LOL) 4+ years later when I was diagnosed I stayed on the pill. When I was 35 I thought I didn't really want to take the pill for ever, so I had my tubes tied and stopped the pill. Periods just as vile as in my teens plus I got HRT in spades - red mist once a month so hormones prescribed. Cured the red mist anyway.

I'd be interested to know what your BG is doing at that time of the month - although I think the majority of girls run higher, though wanting to eat everything in sight would be more connected to running a lower BG than normal.

Have you had all the tests like GAD antibodies and C-peptide, cos it occurs to me that you're a tad youthful for run of the mill T2?
Yes i have had the antibodies and C-peptide tests which my nurse said were normal. My BG levels havent changed as of yet, but having said that i have had all the symptoms that my monthly should be here but it hasnt turned up yet....but taken a test and not pregnant!!

Hello Jenny
I can't answer your first 2 questions as I was diagnosed Type 2 later in life.
BUT I can still relate to your 3rd question, as this still happens to me fairly frequently.
Generally I follow my low sugar/lowcarb plan and enjoy it, but now and then I will get overwhelming cravings for all the 'no-go' stuff, and I will eat ANYTHING sweet and high carb that I can lay my hands on, nothing is safe, and if there are no sweets in the house I'll go to great lengths to get them. One year I even ate all the children's Easter eggs! Horrible behaviour!
So I have developed some coping strategies that work to some extent:
1) Ensure that there is minimum temptation stuff around - not easy though if there are others in the household. - but share the problem with them and get them to help if you can by keeping the difficult stuff away from you.(Totally extreme, but we recently had a kitchen make-over, and set up my husband with his own fridge for his carby stuff, and it's too high up for me to reach(?)).
2) If I go out for a walk I don't take any money so that I can't stop off at any shop.(more difficult in the days of touch payment on the phone)
3) Distraction. Try to get involved in something that will absorb you. I always have a 'to do' list so chose something off that. There is usually some improvement and tidying done in the house after one of these episodes.
4) Time extension. Say to yourself that you will wait say half hour before you eat, and gradually try to extend the time. Sometimes the craving will have passed by the end of the time.
5) Indulge a little, but ensure that you limit what you do.
6) If none of this works, then just accept that this has happened, and stop when you can. Then don't beat yourself up about it and return to your good eating plan. Don't go into a negative cycle of ' I've ruined it all so may as well keep eating' You haven't it is a temporary lapse, and you can now carry on down the forward positive road.

These are some of the things that have helped me, but we are all different so you need to work out what is best for you - I am sure that you will.
Good luck and keep up the good work you are doing for yourself.
That is brilliant, it made me laugh about your husbands fridge!! :) you are right its about finding something else to take my mind off it but once i have something in my head its extremly difficult to get rid of it unless i give in to the craving. i would probably be okay if i indulged just a little bit but even if i do that i still end up having the major blame/guilt factor. its so hard as before my diagnosis this was the norm once a month where it would be a F*ck it day and that was it. done and over with and forgotten about until the next one but now i have to be so much more careful!!

1) Yes. Mine got very irregular, then stopped completely shortly before my diagnosis. I thought I was rather more menopausal than I was, so it was a big shock when they started again about six months later!

2) Yes. I'm post-menopausal now, but they always lowered mine.

3) Um, I can't remember, sorry! Can you eat dark (85% cocoa) chocolate (as that's not too sugary) and limit yourself to a square or two at a time?
yes i have tried some of the dark chocolate, not going to lie not a massive fan of it but one square does satisfy me, got it from Aldi and its cheap too so thats a bonus! :) but i am a dairy milk girl all the way!! went into Debenhams and they were selling the giant crunchie dairy milk bars, my absolute favourite !! i could have cried haha!!

Hi, Great questions
1) Mine had become a little bit irregular, as I had missed one and went to my GP, that something was wrong that I had missed one, but they came back soon after, they have been not always a straight cycle of 28 days sometimes 29 or 30 depending on my activity.
2) Yes, I find mine are quite high sometimes, I have a pre-menstrual setting on my meter which gives me more Bolus insulin if I need it.
3) I'm getting better at this! I have not been this time, but that's probaly because I'm keeping busy with other things, planning a holiday, appointments and house sitting. So keeping myself busy helps plus also time to chill out and relax with a hot bath and some tea!
Thank you, i have managed to keep busy today and written my xmas shopping list and even been out shopping and bought 95% of it!! luckily that has stopped me from munching on bad stuff, i did wake up this morning and was instantly wanting stuff i shouldnt be having but managed to stick to my guns as much as possible but i cant always promise this will be the case!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back