Not coping

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another thought for you @Lily123 don't think of it as controlling your diabetes think of it as managing your diabetes, and managing it to your best ability ( you are doing a fab job. 🙂 )

I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to lay their hands on it, I believe I saw a post/link posted quite awhile ago now that showed there was no benefit in trying for the 5% club and 6.5% was basically the gold star mark to aim for.
So in that context you are doing brilliantly🙂

Also so things are bit more realistic for you you, I was diagnosed in the year 1066 🙂 in that time frame we had No A1c's they hadn't been invented we had no finger pokes either just urine tests twice a day. So that works out to roughly 30 years of unmonitored diabetes in my case and so far I have no complications. Yes I hold the world record for autoimmune conditions but no diabetes complications 🙂

If you do develop any complication's at a later date, todays technology will probably fix the problem anyway.
So live life and enjoy 🙂

Thanks @Pumper_Sue that makes me feel less worried

And another thought:

I had my target set as 4-7 until I switched to my new pump. I worried about not getting ‘good numbers’ and measured my TIR against those ….. I drove myself potty, worried , let Diabetes spoil things.
My current pump sets it automatically to 4-10 (which my consultant had been encouraging me to do for ages). Initially in my mind and constantly thought about any improvement ‘that’s only because I have widened my target’ ….. Now I don't even think about that.

You are doing brilliantly on all measures. Enjoy life.

I surprised by people with diabetes who set their range stricter than someone without diabetes would achieve.
If you look at Libre graph from non diabetics you will see they can spike up to 9. Taking this onboard, liking round numbers and accepting that a pancreas does little more than manage blood sugars whilst I live a full life as well as doing that, I give myself leeway.
My target range is between 4 and 7. And I do not beat myself up for an occasional spike above that. I treat, learn anything I can and move on.

My target range is set at 4-10. Between 4-7 isn’t going to happen all the time and I’ve just about made fine with that

My very first DSN made the mistake of saying to me “Just keep between 4 and 7 and you will be fine”. I took her all too literally, and she failed to mention that this was impossible.

@Lily123 if you get the opportunity I would thoroughly recommend volunteering at a Type 1 Family Weekend. These are set up for the parents, children with T1 and their siblings BUT I found the biggest thing for me was being surrounded by about 50 volunteers who were all just getting on with living with T1. It was the first time I had met so many others with T1, and they were mostly a lot younger than me. This was my first time of seeing how so many people lived with their diabetes rather than their trying to control it. They were an inspiration to me as well as to the families.

My target range is set at 4-10. Between 4-7 isn’t going to happen all the time and I’ve just about made fine with that
My target is 4 - 10 which is realistic obviously It's not always achieved but that's life just correct and move on is the way to go. 🙂

I'm sure someone on the forum will be able to lay their hands on it, I believe I saw a post/link posted quite awhile ago now that showed there was no benefit in trying for the 5% club and 6.5% was basically the gold star mark to aim for.
So in that context you are doing brilliantly🙂
Here's one:

My very first DSN made the mistake of saying to me “Just keep between 4 and 7 and you will be fine”. I took her all too literally, and she failed to mention that this was impossible.

@Lily123 if you get the opportunity I would thoroughly recommend volunteering at a Type 1 Family Weekend. These are set up for the parents, children with T1 and their siblings BUT I found the biggest thing for me was being surrounded by about 50 volunteers who were all just getting on with living with T1. It was the first time I had met so many others with T1, and they were mostly a lot younger than me. This was my first time of seeing how so many people lived with their diabetes rather than their trying to control it. They were an inspiration to me as well as to the families.
I don’t think I could volunteer at one as I’m only 15 but I could see if there’s any near me that I could go to.

How do I find out if there’s any near me?

I don’t think I could volunteer at one as I’m only 15 but I could see if there’s any near me that I could go to.

How do I find out if there’s any near me?
I will find out what is happening and where.

i know that there are residential and family events aimed at your age group. So many of the volunteers had come up through going to an event first and just kept coming back as soon as they were able to.

@Lily123 I am full of admiration for how you cope - I found being diagnosed at 43 hard enough, I'm not sure how I'd have managed at school. Not only that, but you have offered your wisdom and advice on here to nervous newbies and old hands alike, and in such a kind manner. I think you're a star!

@Lily123 I am full of admiration for how you cope - I found being diagnosed at 43 hard enough, I'm not sure how I'd have managed at school. Not only that, but you have offered your wisdom and advice on here to nervous newbies and old hands alike, and in such a kind manner. I think you're a star!
Thanks @JJay

I’ve got an appointment to go and speak to the diabetes nurse Friday morning

I’ve got an appointment to go and speak to the diabetes nurse Friday morning
That's fantastic news, hope all goes well for you.

@Lily123 You’re honestly doing brilliantly. Type 1 is hard and it’s all a question of balance - not just balancing our blood sugars but making sure we balance our life. I’ve had Type 1 almost 30 years and I’ve become more relaxed than I was the first few years. It makes coping with it so much easier knowing you don’t have to be perfect.

When I was going through diabetes burnout, I increased my target range slightly and that small change brought me a huge amount of relief. I’ve also tested lots of friends’ blood sugars after meals and they commonly go up to the 8s and higher. My first diabetes nurse told me she went up to 10 after a big meal. She wasn’t at all worried about that. I found hearing that made me feel better, and I still think about it all these years later.

Good luck for your appointment 🙂

@Lily123 You’re honestly doing brilliantly. Type 1 is hard and it’s all a question of balance - not just balancing our blood sugars but making sure we balance our life. I’ve had Type 1 almost 30 years and I’ve become more relaxed than I was the first few years. It makes coping with it so much easier knowing you don’t have to be perfect.

When I was going through diabetes burnout, I increased my target range slightly and that small change brought me a huge amount of relief. I’ve also tested lots of friends’ blood sugars after meals and they commonly go up to the 8s and higher. My first diabetes nurse told me she went up to 10 after a big meal. She wasn’t at all worried about that. I found hearing that made me feel better, and I still think about it all these years later.

Good luck for your appointment 🙂
Thanks @Inka and @Pumper_Sue

My target range is set 4-10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back