Your Guide to Type 2 Diabetes

Plumeraider

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I only received my diagnosis yesterday and my GP recommended this document as a starting point. The problem is I need a paper copy of this document not an on-line PDF file. I have eyesight issues which mean I can't look at a screen for long hence the need for a paper issue. This website says 'Out of Stock' for a printed copy and I would consider printing the PDF but whoever uploaded the version has mixed A4 & A5 pages, produced about 70 pages and messed up the page numbering making printing a booklet form difficult. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Thanks

This link has a printable PDF and provides a lot of information and menu plans which might suit you, It is a low carb approach which depending on what medication you are on may be suitable.
Would you like to give a bit more information about your diagnosis, what your HbA1C is and any medication as that will help people make appropriate suggestions.

I had a quick look on Amazon and there are several different Guides to Type 2 Diabetes, starting at around £3 + delivery for a hardcopy. I can't comment on how good they are though, and you would need to check how up to date they are, and if they relate to the UK or other countries.
You might like to phone the Helpline for diabetes.org.uk to ask when the hard copy is available. In the meantime you might like to look through the Learning Zone here, as your sight issues permit, and ask us any questions you may have. Information about your HbA1c, medication and other medications would help us help you.

This link has a printable PDF and provides a lot of information and menu plans which might suit you, It is a low carb approach which depending on what medication you are on may be suitable.
Would you like to give a bit more information about your diagnosis, what your HbA1C is and any medication as that will help people make appropriate suggestions.
But my point is, it is NOT printable. It's a mess of A4 &A5 pages, the page order is rubbish for printing AND it's 70 pages long. Believe me, I have been an IT consultant for over 40 years and would not accept such a poorly produced document, sorry! I can't read an on-line version as my eyesight issues cause severe headaches.

I only received my diagnosis yesterday and my GP recommended this document as a starting point. The problem is I need a paper copy of this document not an on-line PDF file. I have eyesight issues which mean I can't look at a screen for long hence the need for a paper issue. This website says 'Out of Stock' for a printed copy and I would consider printing the PDF but whoever uploaded the version has mixed A4 & A5 pages, produced about 70 pages and messed up the page numbering making printing a booklet form difficult. Does anyone have any helpful suggestions? Thanks
Hi @Plumeraider, sorry to hear of your very recent diagnosis. I'm glad the GP sent you our way. I can arrange for a paper copy of our Type 2 Guide to be sent to you. Feel free to PM me your address, or as @Felinia mentioned you can call our Helpline for one of my colleagues to arrange the mail out (I work within that team so it'll be no trouble for me).

Hi @Plumeraider, sorry to hear of your very recent diagnosis. I'm glad the GP sent you our way. I can arrange for a paper copy of our Type 2 Guide to be sent to you. Feel free to PM me your address, or as @Felinia mentioned you can call our Helpline for one of my colleagues to arrange the mail out (I work within that team so it'll be no trouble for me).
Hi Anna, sorry but I don't know how to PM you

Hi Anna, sorry but I don't know how to PM you
No worries @Plumeraider, at the top of the page, there's an envelope.
Once you click on that you''ll see 'Start a new conversation'. Click that and put my name in the recipients field. When you've typed your message, the send button is at the bottom. Hope that helps.

Alternatively, feel free to email support.forum@diabetes.org.uk.

Attachments

• Forum PM icon.PNG
    Forum PM icon.PNG
    6.5 KB · Views: 1
No worries @Plumeraider, at the top of the page, there's an envelope.
Once you click on that you''ll see 'Start a new conversation'. Click that and put my name in the recipients field. When you've typed your message, the send button is at the bottom. Hope that helps.

Alternatively, feel free to email support.forum@diabetes.org.uk.
Hi Anna,
I can't see any recipients field ... :-(

Hi Anna,
I can't see any recipients field ... :-(
Can you click on the envelop at the top right of the page to see this
1720022586112.png
When you click on the Start a new private message link, you should see this
1720022639419.png
where you can include @Anna DUK and include your request with address for the paper copy you require.

@Plumeraider just to let you know I have popped the booklet, along with some other bits into the post for you just now. Hopefully that'll be with you in the next few days.

@Plumeraider
Did your GP talk to your about remission and getting your liver back to normal?
Based on my experience of T2D, that part of the guide is in serious need of an update.

@Plumeraider
Did your GP talk to your about remission and getting your liver back to normal?
Based on my experience of T2D, that part of the guide is in serious need of an update.
No. My contact with my GP surgery has been traumatic and distressing so far. I am awaiting a proper meeting with my actual doctor to sort it out the details & raise a complain about the disgusting way I was told the diagnosis by some halfwit receptionist.

I have eyesight issues which mean I can't look at a screen for long hence the need for a paper issue.
I suggest using a screen reader to listen to the document, saving the paper and not needing to look at the screen.

No. My contact with my GP surgery has been traumatic and distressing so far. I am awaiting a proper meeting with my actual doctor to sort it out the details & raise a complain about the disgusting way I was told the diagnosis by some halfwit receptionist.
Same here though the 'traumatic and distressing' part came from a GP by phone. The NHS and its GPs have not got their act together. My diagnosis was spot on (there was a complication) but the prognosis and treatment wrong. Fortunately a comment from a radiologist confirmed I was on the right track. Same approach would apply to most prediabetics and newly diagnosed T2Ds. I'll elaborate later if you like.

Sorry to hear you have had similar experiences. I love the NHS and have worked for it a few times over the years but Tuesday’s experience literally reduced me to tears. Not just the diagnosis but the bullying phone call from the receptionist. I have actually raised a complaint with CQC over it. Sadly the NHS is just turning into a production line and it’s not just because of the waiting list, it’s the training given these days, no compassion, no common sense. Thanks for sharing your experience, I thought it was just me suffering

But my point is, it is NOT printable. It's a mess of A4 &A5 pages, the page order is rubbish for printing AND it's 70 pages long. Believe me, I have been an IT consultant for over 40 years and would not accept such a poorly produced document, sorry! I can't read an on-line version as my eyesight issues cause severe headaches.
I shall look for the link and they sent booklets to me. It was not 70 pages and I paid a postage type fee. However, there are lots and lots of books in the libraries you can use. There are masses of information out there if you research.
Found link
Under £10
However, it is all on line and you could get someone to print of a couple of pages as needed. Also if you can read the forum just snack on it a bit at a time.

Back