your all invited - 3rd march 2010

Status
Not open for further replies.

bev

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Well it looks like the choice has been made and we are having : Salad with either egg,fish,chicken.

To all the new people, your invited to have a carb free meal tomorrow night for our 'big night in' experiment.

Type 1's are doing this so they can check their background insulin (basal) is right and so eating foods without carbs will show this. Type 2's and anyone else are joining in to see how their bodies cope with low or no carbs as opposed to having a carb laden meal.🙂

Please note : no bread or sauces as these have carbs in. If your having tomatoes - remember these do have carbs in as do peppers etc. 🙂Bev

Hope lots of people are able to join in. I'm not a fan of salad so won't be joining this one.

I have stickied this thread in place of the poll that was previously stickied.

Have a feeling that Jessica will go for egg, fish and chicken and no salad !!!!🙂🙂

I probably wont do this one tonight but I will try to do it for lunch instead maybe friday, maybe monday

Right here goes mine.

2 handful of tesco own chicken pieces.
5 cherry tomatoes
4 leaves of iceberg lettuce
2 organic small beetroot
6 slices of cucumber
2 spring onions (chopped up)

pre meal-6.1
1 x hour-5.8(going good)
2 x hour-6.7(a bit of a rise )
3 x hour-24.5 ( i have no bleeping idea what the eck happened there total headscrewer)

Last edited:
i am a silly cookie i took my insulin {duh} so i had to add carbs
chicken about 2 handfull
tomotoe 1 chopped
cumcuber 6 slices
2 spring onions
lettuce about 1 handfull

then added 2 small slices of seeded bread and some light salad cream
start 10.1 {grrrrrrrr}
1 hour 7.2
2 hour 9.4
3 hour9.8
took 5 units of humanlog {sorry second nature to me now

Last edited:
Sorry - we wont be taking part tonight - Alex has just had another hypo after one an hour ago - so he needs carbs tonight!😱

But we will do it on another night and post results. I will be watching all your results with interest though!🙂Bev

Hello - not doing this tonight either, I normally do my basal checks at lunch times at weekends so I can check my levels for a while after and I am awake in case they go wonky.

I will be interested in all your results though

I've been given information that a true basal test doesn't involve just no carb meals, but no meal at all. This is Gary Scheiner's (author of Think Like a Pancreas) advice about how to perform a basal test.

http://www.diatribe.us/issues/13/learning-curve.php

Interesting. I know that my levels rise if I eat nothing, but if I do eat regularly throughout the day, my levels stay good at those times that my previous meal bolus has expired. So, for example, if I skip breakfast, I might wake at 4.7 but then be at 8.5 an hour or two later. If I have breakfast and then wait 5-6 hours before lunch, my levels will be similar to my waking/pre-breakfast levels. So, is my basal correct or not?:confused:

Yes, I always understood it's necessary to fast completely for basal checking. I imagine it must be more difficult with children.
In theory about 58% of protein converts to glucose but it may take much longer than carbs. I know that I take have to insulin for a no carb meal, though always find it hard to guestimate how much. Eggs are particularly problematic for me (as someone mentioned above). I guess that the protein in eggs is 'designed' to be very easily absorbed.

Northerner, I think suggests that your basal is OK. You can't fine tune it like with a pump where you might be able to prevent the rise. The purpose of your basal is to cope with the glucose from your liver so it is doing it's job. I know my docs are always insistent that (apart from basal checking) eating to a regular pattern and not skipping meals is important.

Last edited:
Yep Northerner is right but Bev is dealing with this from a child with diabetes and there aren't many children who will go without food so it is suggested they eat no carbs, its the best of a bad deal really.

I forgot and we had jacket pots and turkey (following my menu plan from the rubbish dietician I saw).

Steff what are you up to, 24 😱 See thats what happens if you go no/low carbs............ (only joking all you no/low carbers......) 🙂

Yep Northerner is right but Bev is dealing with this from a child with diabetes and there aren't many children who will go without food so it is suggested they eat no carbs, its the best of a bad deal really.

I forgot and we had jacket pots and turkey (following my menu plan from the rubbish dietician I saw).

Steff what are you up to, 24 😱 See thats what happens if you go no/low carbs............ (only joking all you no/low carbers......) 🙂

lol adrienne that made me chuckle what am i upto , as usual i try and follow the rules and sumit goes wrong hun lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back