Young diabetics

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ruth Goode

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hello, I'm new to it and my daughter aged 23 months old was diganosed type 1 diabetes few weeks ago so I'm interested to know more about other parents, carers of youngesters and diabetes, thank you 🙂

hi ruth welcome to the forum we have a number of parents on here who i am sure will be in to help you out....in the meantime have a good look round and remember no questions are regarded silly here x🙂

http://www.childrenwithdiabetesuk.org

Hi and welcome to the forum - although sorry you have to be here.

This forum is great - but most parents also join the above forum as you will most probably find someone living in your area for support and advice. Join the 'email' listing on the left hand side - but be prepared to get up to 30 emails a day! You can open another email account that you can use just simply for this list if you dont want your normal email clogging up! I joined 18 months ago and have been on holiday with some lovely families who have a type 1 child and they are all lovely and supportive. My son is now 12 and is on an insulin pump. How are you coping and how is the little one coping?🙂Bev

Hi Ruth, welcome to the forum 🙂 The group Bev suggests is excellent, and we also have a good parents section here (I think most parents are on both groups) so please feel free to post any questions you may have - nothing is considered 'silly'!

I think it can also help to be part of a wider community so that you can get input from people who were maybe in your daughter's situation, but have now grown up into healthy, fulfilled adults - this can be encouraging and comforting to know when things are not going well.

I'd also suggest getting a copy of Type 1 Diabetes in Children, Adolescents and Young Adults by Ragnar Hanas. A lot of parents think of this as their 'diabetes bible' as it is very comrehensive and extremely well written, so well worth investing in, or obtaining a copy from the library. 🙂

Thank you to all these above, Im still trying to get used to all this - its only been 3 weeks since Carly was diagnosed, I guess we both are coping very well and Carly are happy to have her blood sugar check and having injections but lately she is becoming rather cheeky, running away from me and giggling :D

Thank you to all these above, Im still trying to get used to all this - its only been 3 weeks since Carly was diagnosed, I guess we both are coping very well and Carly are happy to have her blood sugar check and having injections but lately she is becoming rather cheeky, running away from me and giggling :D

That sounds great either way to me! 🙂

Welcome to the forum, by the way. I'm sure that you're going to get lots of good advice here.

Andy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back