you dont look like a diabetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

lorrie

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
🙄i was reading a previous thread and some one said they were told they didnt look like a diabetic it made me smile because i began imaging what peoples impresion is of a diabetic someone overweight and stupid with chocalate smudged around there mouth and a bag full of sweets and no control over there life.the worse one is when people say you bought it on yourself by eating to many sweets!!just having a little rant feel better now

Strange the things people said. I was told that I wasn't really a diabetic - I had pre diabetes. (Not by a medical professional I hasten to add). Was that supposed to make me feel better? What the hell is pre diabetes anyway? I thought there was no such thing....😛

Perhaps it's a prenatal foetus with a gene which indicates it is more likely to develop diabetes!

Strange the things people said. I was told that I wasn't really a diabetic - I had pre diabetes. (Not by a medical professional I hasten to add). Was that supposed to make me feel better? What the hell is pre diabetes anyway? I thought there was no such thing....😛

There is a condition called 'Syndrome X' in which a person is pre-disposed to developing diabetes - I believe Anthony Worral-Thompson is a case in question. It's not the same as having diabetes though.

If I'm good I allow my self a sweet treat from time to time. People tell me I ca't have it because I am fat not because I am diabetic. I have been told I don't look diabetic because I'm not THIN ENOUGH. I always tell people you're not diabetic because you're not sweet enough!

i like that reply i will remember it and i am sure will have the chance to use it

there is a condtion called impaired glucose tolerence, which can be a precursor to Diabetes.I had it for 4 years before I became type 2 diabetic. I had to have my fasting blood glucose done annually.

I also find there is also a lot of misunderstanding about the treatment of diabetes. Most people know that insulin is used to treat diabetes, but they do not understand what it is for.

Many people think that if you are going low you need your insulin. I'm always slightly concerned that if I have a bad hypo some well-meaning person will give me insulin instead of sugar thinking that's what I need!!

That is my understanding also. I don't like the term "pre-diabetes" because it's possible that people don't treat it as seriously as they should.

To me, you're either diabetic or you're not, there is no middle ground.

G-man

Many people think that if you are going low you need your insulin. I'm always slightly concerned that if I have a bad hypo some well-meaning person will give me insulin instead of sugar thinking that's what I need!!

the guy at my work said that to me once, if you go into a diabetic turn i just give you insulin and that worries me..... my non polite reply was you don't touch a single thing and you get in touch with Occupational health or phone an ambulance... little bugger is trying to kill me

think he got the message:D

Hi G-man - that's what my nurse told me - you either are, or are not. And you are she said! So at least when a well meaning friend or colleague tries to give me medical advice I can put them straight!😉

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back