You could have knocked me down with a feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cliff

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Went to see the Dr this morning for a review of my blood pressure issues. When we had finished with that, I showed him my blood glucose log. Would you mind prescribing me some test strips I said, more in hope than expectation - up until now I've been buying my own. Why of course he said, a box of 50 and I'll put it on repeat so you can have another five boxes as and when you need them. It's very sensible to test new foods and keep an eye on trends he said. Blimey!

It got even more interesting. He looked at my results with genuine interest and we had a long chat about the effects of different types of carbs, carb reduction etc. No pushing of the standard NHS diet but a genuine "work out what works for you" approach.

Unfortunately, he seems close to retirement - I'm just hoping he keeps on going because this is a Dr with whom I think I could build a very good ongoing relationship.

Hi Cliff,
Thats fantastic news just wish they was a doc like him in all parts of the UK ,thats a nice surprise as well now you will have alot more money, not having to pay out for the strips

well done good news is always a bonus x

That's brilliant Cliff. The same happened to me with my doctor.

Have a google for Bloodsugar 101. Lots of good advice for T2s there.

Great news, hope your docotor stays for a good long while.

Great Cliff -always good to hear that ther ARE doctors who are genuinely concerned for their patients and listen to them. Brilliant! He should be the standard by which others measure themselves, and if they can't match up then they should work at it until they do!🙂

There are a few good GPs, with a good way to work with patients, listen to them and genuinely take an interest in their health and their problems.

Great result, long may he continue working!

Went to see the Dr this morning for a review of my blood pressure issues. When we had finished with that, I showed him my blood glucose log. Would you mind prescribing me some test strips I said, more in hope than expectation - up until now I've been buying my own. Why of course he said, a box of 50 and I'll put it on repeat so you can have another five boxes as and when you need them. It's very sensible to test new foods and keep an eye on trends he said. Blimey!

It got even more interesting. He looked at my results with genuine interest and we had a long chat about the effects of different types of carbs, carb reduction etc. No pushing of the standard NHS diet but a genuine "work out what works for you" approach.

Unfortunately, he seems close to retirement - I'm just hoping he keeps on going because this is a Dr with whom I think I could build a very good ongoing relationship.

Dear Cliff,

What a fantastic story, I wish all doctors were like that! I hope that he does not retire or if he does you get someone thats just as open to his patients. I too managed to change my doctor's opinion, but when I asked her why she was not spreading the message to her other diabetics she said "...because they won't believe me, and even if they did they will not follow the controlled carb advice"

Regards Dodger

Brill to hear that Cliff, Let the good times roll!

I often wonder that maybe the medics that have good attitude have direct understanding of the "D" from a close-ish family member maybe? A new quack at my new place had no bother at presribing me 400 strips on repeat!!

Good lord Cliff! Where do I sign up? 😉

Wonderful to hear that at least one GP is on message as far as Type 2 diabetes ought to be treated!

Many of us Type 2s will wish that we lived around your parts.

Best wishes - John

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back