You and your pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Names_Pending

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I'm hoping to soon be moving to having a pump for my Type 1, instead of injections and they've asked me to research which one I think I would prefer. My Diabetes is hard to control and my sites get damaged VERY easily meaning absorption is a big problem. This means I inject A LOT of insulin (we're talking 4 units for every 10 grams of carbs!) so I get through easily very quickly.
I think having a pump on will help with reducing the damage to sites, but I think the amount of insulin I take will halt the process some what.

So here I am asking, what pump to you have, and would you recommend it?

Hi @Names_Pending
Have your team given you any indication of what pumps you have to chose from? It is unlikely to be an open list. My CCG is very restrictive (only one pump officially on their list) but I know others are more flexible.
I also recommend looking at the specs of pumps as your dose is high so you need to consider this - a pump set is typically changed every 3 days and holds 200 units but there are some that hold 300. With your dose, you may need to look into those with the larger volume.

I have used a couple of pumps - a tethered one and a patch one. The tethered one was fine for my first pump but it was always on display (I am slight and the pump had no remote control/PDM) so I felt my diabetes was on display. I won't bore you with the details of it because it is no longer available.
I now have a patch pump. It is smaller and controlled via a phone app so it is much more discrete. I also self fund the CGM which provides a simplified closed loop (it suspends my basal when my levels are getting low). However, it is not as reliable. I am fine as I work from home most of the time (and have been doing so before anyone said "pandemic") and experienced with pumping but I am not sure I would recommend it to a first timer. It is a Medtrum Nano.

A helli has said, it may be worth getting an idea on what pumps are available to you, as this can vary depending on what part of the country you live in/CCG. I haven't gotten any experience using pumps, but I know that they all have pro's and con's which will then be down to your management and which one you'll get the most benefit from. It's also worth watching Youtube videos that break down the pumps to give you more insight on their functionality.

I’m waiting for Medtronic 780 (1 year to go); but the greatest thing for me with my NHS Medtronic 640G pump with NHS Sensor 3 CGM (no hypo awareness and very irregular Type 1) was the end of frequent out of control hypos at night which used to need my poor wife to shovel teaspoons of golden syrup down my reluctant throat while I did my semi-conscious best to stop her. That nightmare stopped with the 640G which automatically stops basal insulin when you starts to get low. A vibrating buzz wakes me up enough to get up and deal with the hypo myself without any problem. I have had Type 1 for 66 years and a pump for nearly 20. Still singing and dancing and making furniture. If you can, GET A PUMP and CGM if you or the NHS has the budget!
Adam (82)

Just as on injections you have to rotate infusion sites regularly on pump, did find own insulin usage went slightly down after switch but mainly on basal dose, but 10 years on never regretted making change from injections & sure you won't either.

I’m waiting for Medtronic 780 (1 year to go); but the greatest thing for me with my NHS Medtronic 640G pump with NHS Sensor 3 CGM (no hypo awareness and very irregular Type 1) was the end of frequent out of control hypos at night which used to need my poor wife to shovel teaspoons of golden syrup down my reluctant throat while I did my semi-conscious best to stop her. That nightmare stopped with the 640G which automatically stops basal insulin when you starts to get low. A vibrating buzz wakes me up enough to get up and deal with the hypo myself without any problem. I have had Type 1 for 66 years and a pump for nearly 20. Still singing and dancing and making furniture. If you can, GET A PUMP and CGM if you or the NHS has the budget!
Adam (82)
Adam I love this so much, thanks for sharing

I'm due to start on the tandem t slimx2 pump next week and from what I have seen and heard its meant to be a really good pump. I'm currently using the Accu chek Insight but it's due to be discontinued soon.

I'm due to start on the tandem t slimx2 pump next week and from what I have seen and heard its meant to be a really good pump. I'm currently using the Accu chek Insight but it's due to be discontinued soon.
Seems to be a pretty popular choice, given it's available locally. I've already found out from my local clinic that it's available there so if i'm accepted for a pump, i'ts definitely one I'm looking at.

I have a Dana pump and love it. It’s my favourite of the pumps I’ve had as it’s tiny, robust and can be operated by my phone. BUT as others have said, you need to find out what pumps are on offer from your hospital first. Then go through the list and cut it down to two or three possibles.

You need to think what you’re looking for in a pump really as we all have different needs and lifestyles. It’s important anyway - but extra-important in your case - to look at the cannula choices and quality.

Are you on any other medication for your insulin resistance? It must be frustrating for you.

Adam (82)
Hi Adam
I am another fan of pump and sensor. I am using the 780 with their Guardian 4 sensor in a closed loop. I find for day to day use it is absolutely brilliant. I self fund but would not want to go back now. If you have any questions when you switch do ask.
I echo what you have said that a pump and CGM can make a massive difference

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back