Yorgurts

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrincessDinky

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi I am new to the forum and wondered if someone can tell me what yorgurts I can eat I am type 2 diabetic
Thankyou

Hi I am new to the forum and wondered if someone can tell me what yorgurts I can eat I am type 2 diabetic
Thankyou
Full fat yoghurts tend to be lower carbohydrate than low fat ones, people often have Greek yoghurt and add their own berries or seeds or nuts.
I also have quark based deserts as they are low carbohydrate high protein and also low fat Kvarg or some Aldi ones are OK
Look at the carb content on the pot and you will see some are as high as 15g for a 150g pot which I consider to be too much for me.

How do I work out the carbhydrates
It will be in the nutritional information listed on the pot. All products have TOTAL carbohydrate information on the packet usually on the back in small print.
You can also do a google search for Total carb for food X and it will usually give you the carb value in g / 100g.
Sometimes things like crackers will also say per cracker or give the suggested portion size with the amount of carbs for that.

What kind of yoghurts do you like or normally have? Muller light, ww, plain natural or Greek yoghurt, quark based yoghurts like Kvarg, ‘light and free’ brand low calorie yoghurts are my favourites and none of those are more than 10 carbs a pot.

I go for low or zero fat, or quark based ones.
Most plain yoghurts are around the same in carbs nowadays, the old days of added sugar have long gone, but check the labels, there are still a few yoghurts with more carbs than others.
If you need extra calories, full fat ones are fine, I needed to lose weight, hence my choice.

What kind of yoghurts do you like or normally have? Muller light, ww, plain natural or Greek yoghurt, quark based yoghurts like Kvarg, ‘light and free’ brand low calorie yoghurts are my favourites and none of those are more than 10 carbs a pot.

If you want to flavour yoghurt - and for a change, try making a sugar free jelly with only half the amount of water, allow it to cool and then whisk in some full fat yoghurt so it sets frothy. I like it with berries and cream or real custard.

Plain yoghurt is much better than flavoured yoghurt, the fruit adds a lot of carbs unfortunately, as it's a sweet puree normally.
Plain Greek yoghurt is 3-4g carbs per 100g. Muller light is 6-7g carbs per 100g. That’s a tiny difference in a standard 150g portion and either can easily fit into a balanced diet.

What do you eat on the Mediterranean diet

I think these are a fair representation.
I am ok with carbs though, so many adapt it to carbs they can eat, checking with a meter.
Good fats, like olive oil, as saturated fats increase my cholesterol.
I don't like pasta personally, so I tend to avoid that.
Lots of vegetables.
I like chilli, although nowadays I tend to eat just the chilli, I do eat rice with it sometimes.
Quorn is good in it.
But it's mainly fresh, unprocessed foods.

I also like a good Chinese or red thai curry, again these tend to be a fish or chicken, rather than red meat normally.

I use Fage 2% Greek yoghurt, around 150g with some berries and nuts and vanilla essence or peanut butter (If I add butter, I reduce the amount of yoghurt). It's quite addictive. I tried the 0% but found I was hungry a few hours later. 5% is nicer, but I am trying to cut saturated fats.

I see absolutely very little change in BG levels with this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back