Yogurt and cereal

Libralady

Relationship to Diabetes
Carer/Partner
Hello Have posted before Can you tell me the best yogurts for type 2 diabetic and which cereal if any I should buy my relucant type 2 diabetic. Being pensioners I have most of my groceries etc delivered by Morrisons they are how not much good for things like proper greek yogurt. We do visit both Aldi and Lidl sometimes but Sainsburys and Tesco are farther away. We do also have an Asda near by as well. Can you tell me what would be best and from where. He really does not like natural yogurt. With cereal tried weetabix instant porridge but this morning he got cornflakes himself( as I was not feeling well) which I know spike his blood sugar 6.5 reading before breakfast and 11 2 hours later. I have been trying to vary breakfast each morning have done scrambled eggs mushroom and tomatoes 1 small slice of whole meal there is not way he will give up all bread, fruit and toast. Thinking about buying porridge flakes which one should I buy I usually have oat flakes almond milk and blueberries. Also as pensioners in late 70s have to watch the budget. He is quite fond of mackerel tinned in oil would this be alright on slice of toast. Talking about fish has anyone got a herb type topping for grilled cod etc. Thanks all

Both Lidl and Aldi do a really nice 1kg pot of creamy Greek Style natural yoghurt which lasts me a week. It is not sour like normal natural yoghurt, but thick and creamy and I have that almost every morning with berries and seeds and a good sprinkle of cinnamon.
Unfortunately even the best steel cut jumbo oats spike my levels badly so I gave up on porridge and to be honest I don't enjoy it without a good spoonful of honey, whereas I love my yoghurt and my body copes with it much better. Most of the main supermarkets will do a packet of good quality jumbo oats. I would steer clear of the packet mixes of porridge as they are much more finely processed so will release their glucose quicker and will no doubt have other additives, probably including sugar or sweetener. You would need to test to see if his body managed the jumbo oats OK. Might be a good idea not to buy cornflakes if he is tempted to eat them when you are not there. I find it much easier to be "good" when there are no temptations in the house.

Yes, the tinned mackerel on a slice of wholemeal toast sounds like a pretty good option. I also like omelettes with mushrooms and onion and peppers and perhaps any meat or cheese that needs using up and I have that with a large side salad and a big dollop of coleslaw and that works really well as a late breakfast/brunch that sees me through to my evening meal.

Both Lidl and Aldi do a really nice 1kg pot of creamy Greek Style natural yoghurt which lasts me a week. It is not sour like normal natural yoghurt, but thick and creamy and I have that almost every morning with berries and seeds and a good sprinkle of cinnamon.
Unfortunately even the best steel cut jumbo oats spike my levels badly so I gave up on porridge and to be honest I don't enjoy it without a good spoonful of honey, whereas I love my yoghurt and my body copes with it much better. Most of the main supermarkets will do a packet of good quality jumbo oats. I would steer clear of the packet mixes of porridge as they are much more finely processed so will release their glucose quicker and will no doubt have other additives, probably including sugar or sweetener. You would need to test to see if his body managed the jumbo oats OK. Might be a good idea not to buy cornflakes if he is tempted to eat them when you are not there. I find it much easier to be "good" when there are no temptations in the house.

Yes, the tinned mackerel on a slice of wholemeal toast sounds like a pretty good option. I also like omelettes with mushrooms and onion and peppers and perhaps any meat or cheese that needs using up and I have that with a large side salad and a big dollop of coleslaw and that works really well as a late breakfast/brunch that sees me through to my evening meal.
@rebrascora Thanks for your reply. I did not think Greek Style was allowed if it then Morrisons do have various ones he can try. Yes I was concerned about oats not that he would eat it very often. Yogurt with the fruit sound great to me not sure he would like it it is really hard. I have threatened to throw the cornflakes away. Having brought up a son now age 52 who became a type 1 when he was 2 years old I have some experience of Diabetes but no doubt have forgotten a lot. My son has recently had a below knee amputation due to poor control of blood sugar and leaving and ignoring a wound which turned into an infection. In hospital for two months various other problems along the way which delayed slightly the amputation. I also have have salads in the house as I eat a lot. The only problem I have with some things where I want to make a meal for us both say shepherds pie never eat this as I cannot stand mashed potatoes but could eat one with swede etc topping great for both of us I see some have cauliflower but a lot of veg I can only eat a small amount as I have ibs. The same with beans have to be careful with how many I have. Make it more difficult to make meals for us both. I should add my husband has been type 2 for a good few years but has never shown any interest in what he should eat. It is only since the gp has threatened him with with insulin if the next yearly blood test is too high. Also realising that what happened to our son could happen to him has made him more aware but still not keen on changing I think he think that at nearly 79 it does not matter.

Hello Have posted before Can you tell me the best yogurts for type 2 diabetic and which cereal if any I should buy my relucant type 2 diabetic. Being pensioners I have most of my groceries etc delivered by Morrisons they are how not much good for things like proper greek yogurt. We do visit both Aldi and Lidl sometimes but Sainsburys and Tesco are farther away. We do also have an Asda near by as well. Can you tell me what would be best and from where. He really does not like natural yogurt. With cereal tried weetabix instant porridge but this morning he got cornflakes himself( as I was not feeling well) which I know spike his blood sugar 6.5 reading before breakfast and 11 2 hours later. I have been trying to vary breakfast each morning have done scrambled eggs mushroom and tomatoes 1 small slice of whole meal there is not way he will give up all bread, fruit and toast. Thinking about buying porridge flakes which one should I buy I usually have oat flakes almond milk and blueberries. Also as pensioners in late 70s have to watch the budget. He is quite fond of mackerel tinned in oil would this be alright on slice of toast. Talking about fish has anyone got a herb type topping for grilled cod etc. Thanks all
1727176190035.png
I have a big bowl of this muesli for breakfast each morning, with fat-free soya milk. I imagine that all supermarkets sell something similar. I'm a keen cyclist (LADA) in my early 60s and I like this breakfast because it fills me up (so that I don't snack before lunch) and it's low fat. Having said that, it is high-carb, which is okay for me because I inject some insulin beforehand. I don't know how it would work for your partner. For cooking, I use fat-free Greek yogurt, which tastes quite nice.

@rebrascora Thanks for your reply. I did not think Greek Style was allowed if it then Morrisons do have various ones he can try. Yes I was concerned about oats not that he would eat it very often. Yogurt with the fruit sound great to me not sure he would like it it is really hard. I have threatened to throw the cornflakes away. Having brought up a son now age 52 who became a type 1 when he was 2 years old I have some experience of Diabetes but no doubt have forgotten a lot. My son has recently had a below knee amputation due to poor control of blood sugar and leaving and ignoring a wound which turned into an infection. In hospital for two months various other problems along the way which delayed slightly the amputation. I also have have salads in the house as I eat a lot. The only problem I have with some things where I want to make a meal for us both say shepherds pie never eat this as I cannot stand mashed potatoes but could eat one with swede etc topping great for both of us I see some have cauliflower but a lot of veg I can only eat a small amount as I have ibs. The same with beans have to be careful with how many I have. Make it more difficult to make meals for us both. I should add my husband has been type 2 for a good few years but has never shown any interest in what he should eat. It is only since the gp has threatened him with with insulin if the next yearly blood test is too high. Also realising that what happened to our son could happen to him has made him more aware but still not keen on changing I think he think that at nearly 79 it does not matter.
Yes, but another 20 years mobile and with well managed diabetes is surely a positive rather than you being his carer for the rest of your lives so it very much matters.
When my other half was in hospital the other 3 patients were there due to complications of diabetes and one chap was refusing to take his medication or go for a scan and lied and said he had eaten when he had not so he didn't have to go. Then his son came in and told him he was not coming back to live with them if he didn't have the treatment and he was on his own, harsh though it was, it did result in him complying with the doctor.
It was a salutary thing to see the desperate situation of those patients.
You have to do what you need to do to help him help himself, harsh though it may seem.

Yes, but another 20 years mobile and with well managed diabetes is surely a positive rather than you being his carer for the rest of your lives so it very much matters.
When my other half was in hospital the other 3 patients were there due to complications of diabetes and one chap was refusing to take his medication or go for a scan and lied and said he had eaten when he had not so he didn't have to go. Then his son came in and told him he was not coming back to live with them if he didn't have the treatment and he was on his own, harsh though it was, it did result in him complying with the doctor.
It was a salutary thing to see the desperate situation of those patients.
You have to do what you need to do to help him help himself, harsh though it may seem.
@Leadinglights Yes I agree with you. I suffer from anxiety recently started some counselling. I have my own health problems as well. You can imagine the stress that the news about out son has caused us both you would think it would be a wake up call to my husband. I have tried threats like I wont look after him sounds awful. It has made me think of looking after my son at age 2 it was difficult at times but we got through it the teenage years as well. Never thought he would do this to himself after 50 years I cant help but think there must have been a reason. Back to my husband he says he wont go on insulin believe me I don't want that to happen with hypos etc at my age I have done all that. So he must improve his blood sugar results I am hoping the gp will give him one more chance as it were. I have told him that he will loose his licence until they are satisfied about bad hypos because the DVLA has to be informed. From others I have known it can take ages to get it back and at his age it might be that he does not want to drive anymore. It would make life more difficult but we would have to manage. Sorry to sound so negative.

Greek style yoghurt is just Greek yoghurt that is not made with milk from Greece or perhaps not made in Greece. It is one of those protected foods I believe. The Lidl stuff I get is made with British milk which is better for the environment as it has less air miles and we get more rain than Greece, and supports our farmers, so all positives and it is just as nice if not nicer than the authentic Greek yoghurt which Lidl also sell but in 500g tubs instead of the 1kg tub I get and the British stuff is cheaper, so just as good as the real stuff but with lots of other benefits.

View attachment 31610
I have a big bowl of this muesli for breakfast each morning, with fat-free soya milk. I imagine that all supermarkets sell something similar. I'm a keen cyclist (LADA) in my early 60s and I like this breakfast because it fills me up (so that I don't snack before lunch) and it's low fat. Having said that, it is high-carb, which is okay for me because I inject some insulin beforehand. I don't know how it would work for your partner. For cooking, I use fat-free Greek yogurt, which tastes quite nice.
@CliffH Thank you I will have a look for the muesli as you say ll supermarkets will sell it. It is worth a try Is there a reason why you have soya milk I have almond milk in the morning but only because with my ibs I find it kinder than cows milk although I have that in tea. We have skimmed milk assume that would be ok. I am assuming you use the fat free Greek yogurt in recipes which calls for cream.

Greek style yoghurt is just Greek yoghurt that is not made with milk from Greece or perhaps not made in Greece. It is one of those protected foods I believe. The Lidl stuff I get is made with British milk which is better for the environment as it has less air miles and we get more rain than Greece, and supports our farmers, so all positives and it is just as nice if not nicer than the authentic Greek yoghurt which Lidl also sell but in 500g tubs instead of the 1kg tub I get and the British stuff is cheaper, so just as good as the real stuff but with lots of other benefits.
@rebrascora Thanks for clearing that up. That will make life easier as I can have that as well with berries.

@CliffH Thank you I will have a look for the muesli as you say ll supermarkets will sell it. It is worth a try Is there a reason why you have soya milk I have almond milk in the morning but only because with my ibs I find it kinder than cows milk although I have that in tea. We have skimmed milk assume that would be ok. I am assuming you use the fat free Greek yogurt in recipes which calls for cream.
I have soya milk because my partner can't cope with cow's milk on cereal: I'm not bothered either way. I don't like the taste of milk though: like you, I'm of a generation before "Mrs Thatcher, milk snatcher" stopped free school milk. I used to hate it (especially in summer, when it would often be sour) - but it wasn't optional. Skimmed milk is so watery though that it doesn't give me flashbacks :party: .

The muesli mentioned is likely not suitable for your husband as it will be high in carbs and will likely have added sugar too. The person recommending it is Type 1, so they inject insulin to cover those carbs and they do a lot of exercise which also helps to burn it off. I would not want you to think that this is a special low carb muesli. If you do try it, you will need to do some testing to see how your husband responds to it.

Regarding recipes that call for cream, yes sometimes I use fat-free Greek yogurt - and sometimes fat-free 'cream'. Actually my partner does most of the cooking - but I can't envisage a scenario in which either my partner or I would use 'full fat' cream nowadays. I don't like the taste of cream anyway.

Because I eat low carb, I need to get my energy from some other nutrient and that is fat, so I eat the creamy Greek Style yoghurt and full fat milk although I restrict my milk intake and I also have cream in my coffee because it is lower carb than milk and the fat in these foods helps me to feel full for longer and it stabilizes my BG levels and provides slow release energy. I have been eating like this with lots of cheese as well since diagnosis and my cholesterol levels have come down rather than increase as you might expect and there have been other health benefits too.
It is important to understand that @CliffH follows a high carb, low fat way of eating and injects insulin whereas your husband is trying to lower his carb intake so that he doesn't need insulin, but he needs to get his energy from something else if he is eating less carbs and that is either fat or protein. Having the natural fat that comes with foods like milk rather than the fat free options will give him that energy he needs and is not getting from carbs anymore.

Last edited:
The muesli mentioned is likely not suitable for your husband as it will be high in carbs and will likely have added sugar too. The person recommending it is Type 1, so they inject insulin to cover those carbs and they do a lot of exercise which also helps to burn it off. I would not want you to think that this is a special low carb muesli. If you do try it, you will need to do some testing to see how your husband responds to it.
Yes, the muesli is high-carb, as I said in my post. According to the packet, it only has "naturally occurring sugars" - presumably in the fruit that's in it.

Back