Yoga?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shiv

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

Tomorrow I'm going to my first ever yoga class. It's 1hr15min long. I've never done yoga before, and whilst I know it isn't strenuous exercise, I have no idea what to anticipate in terms of BG levels. Has anyone done it and got any pointers for me?

I plan to do the obvious: check before, during and after, and keep an eye on levels for the following few hours 🙂

Any help greatly appreciated!

I do an hour's workout of weights, muscle exercises and yoga first thing after getting up. I've found that from testing after waking and then before having breakfast (so either side of the routine), I tend to rise by about 2mmol/l 🙂 Don't underestimate yoga as a workout though!

That's kind of why I'm asking - I don't want to underestimate it! I've done bits of yoga on the Wii before, and my levels have dropped, but I imagine a class would be much different to me wobbling about on a board in my living room!

Nah! Yoga's just sitting around and going "OM" isn't it?

Andy "Well Informed" HB 😉

I don't do yoga, but have heard mixed comments. If it is a class, it may pay to warn the instructor, then relax and enjoy the class. It will help improve things like balance and flexibility. Some say it makes their levels rise and others say it makes their levels fall a little.

My understanding is that there are several different types of yoga and some are more physical than others.

As yoga can be used as a relaxation exercise it can cause a drop in your stress hormones (which all act against insulin) so that can cause a drop in your BM.

I don't do yoga, but have heard mixed comments. If it is a class, it may pay to warn the instructor, then relax and enjoy the class. It will help improve things like balance and flexibility. Some say it makes their levels rise and others say it makes their levels fall a little.

Oh yes I plan to let them know!

Stupid d - I wish there was just a hard and fast rule!

Following on from Margie's comments, the feeling of relaxation after yoga (or many forms of exercise, excluding nearly getting run over when running or cycling) can result in lower blood sugars for some hours. Not simple, sorry! Hope you enjoy the yoga.

I've always found yoga really drops my levels, certainly as quickly as other exercise even though it doesn't seem as intense. The relaxation bit in particular seems to have a big impact, for me at least.

I have done yoga for nearly 2 years now and i love it, because its not a fast work work.

I have never had a problem with my blood sugars till now being pregnant.

I have had a few hypos during that time but never got higher bloods after the class.

I love it its really fun and great for balance and getting more flexible, make sure your teacher knows about your diabetes and enjoy it :D

xx

I've been doing Yoga since the 70s! I'm no expert but I have a range of exercises I work through, some I can do sitting at my desk others need floor space but they all help enormously. I stopped doing them for long time before I was diagnosed and have only recently taken it up again. It's a great work out because it's not violent exercise and you only do what you can, building up as you go along. The only other thing I've found that comes close is water aerobics, which is a little more vigorous but you're supported by the water and thus less likely to strain anything. Enjoy your class, I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it.

It doesn't seem to send me high at all.

I do a bit of yoga now and then, i find it can be hard work and good exercise. Good fun to challenge yourself with though, and if you get a good teacher, then they'll help you understand your limits and tailor the routine for you. It's good because even if some people have been doing it for years, they still find challenges so you won't find you're the only person with something to work at.

Hi, I had my first yoga class last Friday, and did test in class before, kept my meter, dextrose and choccie bar all close to hand, at the end of the hour, I had dropped 2 points from 9 to 7. Felt thoroughly s-t-r-e-t-c-h-e-d- afterwards, and not too exhausted. Certainly felt the effects at the weekend tho!

Going back again as really enjoyed it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back