Yo yo here we go. Type 2 Need to improve

Status
Not open for further replies.

Currybum

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,

54 years old male.
Was prediabetic, but mmol crept up from 43 to 47 then 51.
Weight down from 15st to 14,3.
Do 10k steps most days.
Need to book blood sugar test but delayed as I know NHS rather busy.
I have cut out sugar, only drink at the weekend now. Switched to brown everything but do have odd cake etc... Naughty I know.
Been looking at YouTube wonder cures...do like okra water and gonna try golden milk (milk with turmeric).

I have cut out sugar, only drink at the weekend now. Switched to brown everything but do have odd cake etc... Naughty I know.
Try to reduce carbohydrates generally, not just sugar.

Been looking at YouTube wonder cures...do like okra water and gonna try golden milk (milk with turmeric).
Well, if you enjoy them. But they're probably not going to do you much good.

Love carbs! But much reduced them...miss tiger loaf and crusty white rolls. Often have poached eggs on 2 pieces of brown bread. And have switched to brown rice bread pasta... Still live for a curry takeaway once a week... Hence username.

Love carbs! But much reduced them...miss tiger loaf and crusty white rolls. Often have poached eggs on 2 pieces of brown bread. And have switched to brown rice bread pasta... Still live for a curry takeaway once a week... Hence username.
Sadly brown rice, pasta and bread are still very high in carbs.
Unless you have also cut your portion size down by a LOT it won't be making much difference to reducing your blood sugar readings.
I suppose if you have only some bread (but one slice rather than two) one day and some rice (maybe a tablespoonful) another day and a small amount of pasta another day and so on you might get away with it as long as you are avoiding all other carbs.
Assuming you mean wholemeal when you say brown - because actual brown bread is worse than white because it is brown due to added caramel which is just sugar that has been cooked to a high temperature.

I hope you can achieve what you are aiming for but I think if you are going to tackle your diabetes entirely by food choices you will need to be a bit more strict about starchy foods sadly.

Like porridge for breakfast.. No sugar of course but read contradictory views on whether good or not for low carb diet. Thought I was being so good too :-(

As you are only just into the realms of diabetes you might be able to find something you don't respond to with a high spike.
I am unlucky (and I started with a hba1c of 91 so bit of an uphill path) as almost everything with carbs causes a spike. I used a blood glucose monitor - the Tee2 from Spirit Healthcare - just to check, so I avoid all grains, potatoes and other things over 10 percent carbs.
I have found that swede, either roasted under a joint or chicken or boiled, changing the water to remove more of the sweedy taste, can be a good substitute for potato and is good machined with cream. I use chopped cauliflower rather than rice with a curry, and have lots of stirfries and salads.
There are low carb breads - Livlife from Waitrose and a protein bread - a brown brick, from Asda, or I can make it myself with a few ingredients from Amazon. If there was a great need for cake, I could make low carb ones, there are recipes online for all sorts, and I always have the full fat yoghurt, artificial sweeteners, real custard, sugar free jelly and frozen or fresh berries so desserts are more than possible.
Whoever told you that brown carbs were OK wasn't doing you any favours. Watch out for milk too - it contains Lactose, a sugar, so should be used cautiously - though I found that I could eat Yorkshire puddings using extra thick cream and water instead of milk, bread flour instead or ordinary, and an extra egg to replace some of the flour, and they were actually better for it.

Welcome to the forum @Currybum

Sorry to hear about your diagnosis, but well done for all the positive changes you have been making.

As you are only must over the threshold into a diagnosis with diabetes it may well be that fairly modest tweaks to your menu will be all that is required. Mostly this will probably involve reducing portion sizes of the carbs you are eating, but I suspect you may not have to go full-on low carb to turn your BGs around.

Having a meter to allow you to check your reactions to different foods might really help because blood glucose responses to various foods are highly individual, and it can be impossible to say which types and amounts of carbohydrate will ‘spike’ your BG on their reputation alone.

It can be very helpful to keep a food diary, especially if you make a note of the approximate carb content of the meals you are eating. It can feel like a bit of a faff, but all that squinting at the backs of packets is a very quick way to discover where the main sources of carbs are in your diet, and where they lurk in surprising things.

Many members find aiming for a total of 100-130g of carbs a day is a good start, though some can happily manage more, while others need to aim for far less.

Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back