Yikes some lowish numbers today!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sue63

Relationship to Diabetes
Parent
Hi...J has had low numbers today ...not sure why??

Woke on 5.2 ate cereal and injected half a unit. Went for bike ride and tested before and he was 6.4. Went he arrived home he tested and was 2.1!!! lowest he has been..
He treated it, ate some scrambled egg, toast and a icecream..and he is back up to 9.
He was a bit low yesterday too..3.2 in the morning I think.

I think he had better ring the nurse tomorrow to check his basal rate is ok etc I don't think he is eating enough slow release carbs at the moment to give him energy but I don't want to nag a lot🙂

He has only injected 1 unit of novorapid all day today so his insulin requirements are tiny...
Any thoughts to preventing these lows??? thank you

If he is exercising then he will need to either reduce his insulin dose or take on extra carbs. I wonder as he is fairly newly diagnosed if it's due to the honeymoon period and he is able to produce insulin better than when initially diagnosed. I think if these hypos continue then it is worth speaking to the DSN to see how to reduce his insulin.

It's a pain, but the best thing to do while it's early days is just to test loads, e.g. mid-bike ride. Then take lucozade with his too, or glucotabs in his pocket, so he can top up as he goes.

I find biking needs loads of energy - if I'm going on a long bike ride I halve my daily basal dose and halve the quick acting insulin at the meal before hand too, and swig lucozade as I ride! It's taken me lots of trial and error to get to that stage though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back