year's review with consultant

Status
Not open for further replies.

vince13

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Rejoice with me (a little) oh ye Diabetic-chums as I feel I have had a result this morning ! 🙂 🙂

Diagnosed in 2008 I was introduced to my lovely Consultant at Taunton Hospital who has been seeing me at 6-monthly intervals and overseeing my care. This time, however, it was nearly a year since I had seen him and my last Dr's HbAlc test was 7.1, down from 7.6 three months ago. Consultant looked at my BS results and said he was quite at ease with my levels. I told him my Dr wasn't - and also that Dr said I am a Type 2 not 1.5 and I was only to test 2 times a week (perhaps with an eye to letting me have less test strips - cynic that I am !). Consultant says I must test every morning and will tell my Dr so and also said I am definately not a Type 2 as the usual tests taken at diagnosis confirmed this.

Dr had decided to put me on lunchtime pioglitazone (?spelling) as he wanted me down below 7. I wasn't too happy with this as it was a sister drug to Avandia and we all know what's happened to that one (withdrawn because of known side effects but still prescribed until a few months ago I understand).

As I'm taking 160mg gliclazide at breakfast I find I keep getting hypos mid-morning or just before lunch and I told my Consultant this, but also said I was dealing with it with jelly babies or hobnobs. He said that was a bit cocked-eyed if I was using drugs to bring my BS down and then sending them up again to treat hypos so I'm to halve my morning dose of gliclazide and come off the lunchtime piogliazone all together. If my BS rise I'm to take Glic 80mg at lunchtime and 80mg at breakfast but he says there are other things we can do (before I go onto insulin - which he confirms yet again "will come in time") rather than the pioglitazone at this time.

I emphasised that I really wasn't criticising my Dr as he has everyday care of my diabetes and I can (and do) contact him when/if I need him but I wanted to know what the Consultant felt about the situation. He is writing to my Dr confirming all this which I hope will keep all of us contented.

Sorry to bore you all but I am SO happy I've got a chap to whom I can talk and who also considers I am allowed to be in control of my body and yes have a brain too !

Yippee - a good news story 🙂
Congratulations Vince - and it's not just the medics who are responsible 🙂

This is excellent news. I'm really, really pleased for you:D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back