Yay! Closed loop system here I come!

Status
Not open for further replies.

gillrogers

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1.5 LADA
Pronouns
She/Her
Yay hospital have agreed to put me on the pathway at last!!

Need to sit down and take this in!!

Wow Gill
Which system will you be using?
I look forward to hearing more.

Fantastic news! Very exciting.

Good news!

Wow Gill
Which system will you be using?
I look forward to hearing more.
Too early to say. Id like to ve able to go for the Omnipod but have no idea what our trust offers yet. Ive got a pump pathway sheet of needs to know. Got to pass 5 out of 8 levels. Think ive got 7 already lol. But will go through with a fine toothcomb cos i dont intend to fail by my own failings cos i missed something.

Last edited:
Thats great news, Ive been chatting to a lad he has been on the Omnipod 5 and Dexcom 6 and he is really very happy and very pleased with his numbers. You probably already know but you can get a sample pod from omnipod to try and most pump manufactures have an app to download so you can try the bolus routines on your phone.

I've just been put on a closed loop omnipod 5 pump and dexcom 6 blood glucose sensor. I've done the lot, medtrum semi closed loop -the worst, libre - ok, pens, injections. I can honestly say that this is the best so far. I have cgm on my watch which subtley buzzes if its going low. Brilliant. Not exactly a pancreas replacement but hey!.. worth the transition to.

Great news @gillrogers !

Hope you are able yo speed through the process, and jump through all the required hoops.

Hope the transition to pumping goes well. It’s bound to feel a little like being rediagnosed for a while, as everything will feel quite new and strange, and you’ll have to get used to whether this, that, or the other ‘feels right’. There may be a few “WHAT AM I DOING!” moments, but it sounds like you’ve done your research and are well ready and keen to make the switch.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on!

Thats great news, Ive been chatting to a lad he has been on the Omnipod 5 and Dexcom 6 and he is really very happy and very pleased with his numbers. You probably already know but you can get a sample pod from omnipod to try and most pump manufactures have an app to download so you can try the bolus routines on your phone.
Yup ive done that.

Great news @gillrogers !

Hope you are able yo speed through the process, and jump through all the required hoops.

Hope the transition to pumping goes well. It’s bound to feel a little like being rediagnosed for a while, as everything will feel quite new and strange, and you’ll have to get used to whether this, that, or the other ‘feels right’. There may be a few “WHAT AM I DOING!” moments, but it sounds like you’ve done your research and are well ready and keen to make the switch.

Good luck with it, and let us know how you get on!
Thanks Mike,
Got a long way to go yet. Not going to like sitting in a class room doing a course for 6 weeks if ive understood that right though.

Thanks Mike,
Got a long way to go yet. Not going to like sitting in a class room doing a course for 6 weeks if ive understood that right though.
I don't think that is correct. DAFNE is a full week or one day a week for a few weeks and they like you to do that before going on a pump in many areas, but not a 6 week intensive course. Most people simply could not afford the time. Is it not that there is a 6 week waiting time for the course. I imagine it will just be a day. Hopefully others will put your mind at rest on this.

Great news @gillrogers
I would encourage you to learn as much as possible about pumping regardless of the closed loopedness. Sadly, technology can fail and if we are now aware of the "old school methods", failure is even more stressful.
I am not closed looping but sitting on a train home with a sensor in my arm and a pump on my abdomen as well as syringes, test strips and insulin pens in my bag and confidence I know how to use these back ups if I need to.

I don't think that is correct. DAFNE is a full week or one day a week for a few weeks and they like you to do that before going on a pump in many areas, but not a 6 week intensive course. Most people simply could not afford the time. Is it not that there is a 6 week waiting time for the course. I imagine it will just be a day. Hopefully others will put your mind at rest on this.
Opps Sorry Barbera, i meant a one day a week for 6 weeks.

Thanks @helli , yes was going to ask if theres any difinative place to go where i can read up as all i seem to find its bits relating to certain systems. Thinking i need more of an "overall" overview. If that makes sense. Im probably not looking in the right place.

Thanks @helli , yes was going to ask if theres any difinative place to go where i can read up as all i seem to find its bits relating to certain systems. Thinking i need more of an "overall" overview. If that makes sense. Im probably not looking in the right place.
I see that bertie has modules about insulin pumps. That may be a good place to start as it is generic and bertie usually has good reputation.

Oh yes i har forgotten about Bertie

I agree that it is essential to be able to use your pump when not looping. I had moments like that recently and I still found I forgot things and I was already familiar with pumping. Find out what you can beforehand. It might also help to write a list of questions that you want to answer.

That’s great news! I’ve been myself on the Tandem t:slim X2 + Dexcom G6 for about two years now. It made my life a lot easier. And my levels have been in range close to 90% of the time in average.
I hope it goes well for you too!

Fantastic! I've been on a closed loop system for around 6 months now and I love it. The hardest thing for me was learning to not do anything and let the pump do it's thing. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back