Xpert diabets course day 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Caroline

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Actually did it yesterday afternoon, but with one thing and anther ended up not posting.

The focus was on food, sensible eating and weight loss. Having explored issues round food it didn't actuallt tell me anything I didn't already know, and there were plenty of helpful reminders.

It was very interesting doing the Eatwell Plate and exploring everyones ideas about what is healthy and what is not. It also helped one of the course members is vegan so has a different take on the whole issue of eating healthily.

The main thing for me I got from the dy is I am not the only one who struggles to balance family needs with my own.

Hi Caroline spookily i just mailed you 2 minutes before you posted asking about your 2nd session lol.

Anyways i remember the eatwell plate i was the one chosen as an example and had to tell everyone what i had eaten that day and work out where i needed to tweek things, but like you say even if you know alot of what is being said already, gentle reminders dont go wrong and you are getting alot from doing the course .Are they any people on the course you think at the moment you will stay in touch with?

I doubt I'll stay in touch with anyone on the course. Apart from the diabetes we seem to have very little in common. We are getting on n the class room because we want to learn more, but we all go in different directions when we leave.

Last week there should have been 16 people and only 8 turned up. This week 7 turned up. The lady with the type 1 husband didn't come back, I'm not sure how many will turn up next week.

It's the loss of the ones who didn't turn up, but to the advantage of those of us there as we all get a better chance to get our points across!

I find it much easier to learn in a small group there were only 6 of us at the course I did last year and I loved it although I didn't make any friends for the same reason as you. Glad that you enjoyed it x

And it is not because the people are not nice, they are all nice people, the interests are just very different, but it is worth doing the course.

I think if anyone else is thinking of doing it, they should go with an open mind and see what happens. Whatever else it does, it certainly reminds of all the things you already know and reinforces that knowledge.

The one I am doing is slightly different to the one Steff did as we are not going to the supermarket. We are taking packets with us to the class room. Think it is done this way for this one as one of the ladies has a heart condition which makes walking about more difficult.

We brought in food labels too rather than going to the shops. We were supposed to be going out for a long walk round some fields too to show what it did to our levels etc but that didn't happen because it was snowing.

I am actually on a waiting list for this course, so its a bit annoying to hear people might not turn up (prob same all over UK) when there may be people on waiting lists who could have had their place 🙄

Last edited:
I am actually on a waiting list for this course, so its a bit annoying to hear people might not turn up (prob same all over UK) when there may be people on waiting lists who could have had their place 🙄

yes they was 20 on our list and in the end 7 turned up, on the 4th session only 4 turned up for various reasons.

It is annoying when people don't turn up knowing others want to do these courses and will turn up. The other thing I find frustrating are the courses that start at 10.30 near my home. It means a whole day off. If they start at 9am or 1pm I can have them as an appointment or a half day.

This course starts at 1.30 so my manager has found me work to do at our building near home so that I can have a whole morning working off site and the afternoon as a medical appointment. helps her and me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back