X Factor's Amelia Lily on coping with diabetes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Northerner

Admin (Retired)
Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
The X Factor 2011 finalist Amelia Lily was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes when she was aged just three and a half and has been injecting herself with insulin for the last nine years.

But Amelia, 18, has refused to let the condition, which can cause frightening convulsions, stop her following her dreams.

I was a normal little girl growing up in Teesside, and when I first started going to the toilet a lot and complaining that I was thirsty all the time, my mum didn?t think anything of it.

Fortunately for me, my uncle was diagnosed with diabetes when he was 14 and my nanna recognised my symptoms.

So my mum took me to the doctors and they transferred me straight to the hospital where I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes.

Many children aren?t so lucky and only find out when the symptoms have become more serious.

This happens if they suffer something called diabetic ketoacidosis where a chronic lack of insulin in their body produces poisonous acid ? ketones ? in their bloodstream.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/3am/celebrity-news/amelia-lily-on-coping-with-diabetes-i-had-a-fit-1534418

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back