Would you worry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Admiral Benbow

Relationship to Diabetes
At risk of diabetes
Ok folks, many have known my health journey. You heard in May I had good results in getting my blood sugars and trigs down with getting an A1C of 4.8 and a fasting glucose of 93.

So my question for you folks is, would you worry about my last Saturdays work health check where everything was in good ranges (BP, Trigs, BMI, etc) save for an elevated fasting glucose of 134 and keytone +1 (because of a 48 hour fast wed and thursday before a sat test)?

I'm getting anxious again whereas when I was on holiday I thought all this stuff was behind me, and I only needed to maintain what I was doing.

Ok folks, many have known my health journey. You heard in May I had good results in getting my blood sugars and trigs down with getting an A1C of 4.8 and a fasting glucose of 93.

So my question for you folks is, would you worry about my last Saturdays work health check where everything was in good ranges (BP, Trigs, BMI, etc) save for an elevated fasting glucose of 134 and keytone +1 (because of a 48 hour fast wed and thursday before a sat test)?

I'm getting anxious again whereas when I was on holiday I thought all this stuff was behind me, and I only needed to maintain what I was doing.
I assume the 4.8 is % which is perfectly normal for your HbA1C and if the 93 is mg/dl then that converts to 5.2mmol/l which again is perfectly normal for a fasting glucose.
Maintaining what you are doing seems to be working for you.
Do you have different guidelines where you are that is causing you to worry.

So if I understand you correctly you were fasting for 48 hours then had a blood test? I would imagine that your fasting glucose elevation was your liver pumping out glucose to give you the energy you needed and the ketones would almost certainly be starvation ketones. I really wouldn’t worry about those numbers, they are a flash in the pan, your hba1c gives you the bigger picture. Also blood tests etc can be stressful especially if you are apprehensive for results this also elevates blood sugar. For example I had an echo last week and had an appointment for the results yesterday, all morning I was hovering around 5/6, sat in the waiting room BG of 10 with an arrow up and not a thing had passed my lips. For all we know this could happen to ordinary folks, but they would never know.

I assume the 4.8 is % which is perfectly normal for your HbA1C and if the 93 is mg/dl then that converts to 5.2mmol/l which again is perfectly normal for a fasting glucose.
Last saturday's fasting glucose was 134 and keytones were +1. Makes me worry a bit

So if I understand you correctly you were fasting for 48 hours then had a blood test? I would imagine that your fasting glucose elevation was your liver pumping out glucose to give you the energy you needed and the ketones would almost certainly be starvation ketones. I really wouldn’t worry about those numbers, they are a flash in the pan, your hba1c gives you the bigger picture. Also blood tests etc can be stressful especially if you are apprehensive for results this also elevates blood sugar. For example I had an echo last week and had an appointment for the results yesterday, all morning I was hovering around 5/6, sat in the waiting room BG of 10 with an arrow up and not a thing had passed my lips. For all we know this could happen to ordinary folks, but they would never know.
Yes, 48 hours Wed and Thurs, broke the fast on friday. Friday ate an apple for breakfast (8am), 2 eggs and nuts for lunch (12pm), and a 510 calorie dinner box of roast beef, green vegetables, a small sweet potato, purple rice , and tofu at around 7pm. Might have had a handful of nuts after as well. Saturday was the blood test at around 10ish. All other biomarkers are quite good. Trigs 45, BP 115/71, BMI 20.4 etc. Only problem was the fasting glucose (134) and the ketones (+1). In two weeks I'll go to a clinic to see the Doc. The most recent test was at a hospital.

I an mot sure what test you have had, as I understand it you musi not eat before a fasting BG test. This would give an invalid high readtng. I assume that you are using USA type units.

Last saturday's fasting glucose was 134 and keytones were +1. Makes me worry a bit

How long had you fasted? Might these have been starvation ketones?

How long had you fasted? Might these have been starvation ketones?
I fasted for a full 48 hours, water only on Wed and Thurs. I broke the fast on a Friday with an apple for breakfast -8am, eggs and nuts at noon -12, roast beef dinner box which included green leafs, small sweet potato, and purple rice. That was around 7pm. Next day, saturday, had the blood drawn at around 10ish. I think they were probably starvation ketones, and it recorded as +1 on the report. That an my fasting glucose of 134 were flagged. Seems counterintuitive that ketones glucose was high, as are not ketones produced when body is low on glucose? I thought 1 day would be enough to end ketosis with a simple fruit and foods I always eat, but I guess not?

Those were the results I got second week of May. My most recent blood test I got a 134 mg/Dl fasting glucose, and +1 keytones flagged. Everything else was either good or optimal ranges, so I have no idea what's going on.

I fasted for a full 48 hours, water only on Wed and Thurs. I broke the fast on a Friday with an apple for breakfast -8am, eggs and nuts at noon -12, roast beef dinner box which included green leafs, small sweet potato, and purple rice. That was around 7pm. Next day, saturday, had the blood drawn at around 10ish. I think they were probably starvation ketones, and it recorded as +1 on the report. That an my fasting glucose of 134 were flagged. Seems counterintuitive that ketones glucose was high, as are not ketones produced when body is low on glucose? I thought 1 day would be enough to end ketosis with a simple fruit and foods I always eat, but I guess not?

Ketones are produced as a by-product of the body metabolising fats to create glucose (because no other sources are readily available). The body will prioritise metabolising carbs for glucose if they are available because that is so much easier. In the case of T1 ketones can occur because there is no insulin to metabolise carbs and the body begins to ‘eat itself’ first using fat stores, then muscles. The build-up of ketones in the absence of insulin can lead to DKA where the blood turns acidic, which is very dangerous.

Starvation ketones are different I think, and can occur where insulin is still available.

I’m not sure how long they last after you start eating again, but like you I’d have thought those would have been clearing by the Saturday? I’m not really qualified to judge though!

Yes the ketones are the same, but the ratios of the different ones prodused are very different.

Half of the total quantity of a ketone is eliminated in a fixed time. known as the half life this depends on the ketone. My answer to the question is I don't know either.

A repeat ketone test should only cost a few $s and would set the mjnd at rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back