would you check you're blood sugar before snacking

Status
Not open for further replies.

rayray119

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 1
Pronouns
She/Her
the image you didn't have any sensor on, someone on my team said I don't need to check blood sugars for snacks in between meals and just give insulin to cover the carbs but to me I wouldn't;t feel comfortable doing this especially as I did a 2 hour after eating on the weekend at it was 3.8 I think I think I may have started to feel it afterwards but the only reason I caught it that early was because I happened to be testing anyway. imagine if I just decided to stack and not check at that time and gave myself more insulin.

i know some others that said they would want to check. I kind of assumed everyone did but when she said that it made me porder

I would definitely check my blood sugar before snacking

that's what i thought I mentioned that snacking more also counted for me strip usage she said this "If you are snacking between meals you usually only need to give insulin for the carbs, not necessarily check every time unless you are not feeling right in yourself. "

I do now (that is, I scan the Libre), but then I scan several times an hour when I'm not snacking.

Back pre-Libre I usually didn't and that was also the advice at the not-DAFNE course: if the snack is ~10g or so, no need to worry. I think on the basis that the milk in a couple of cups of coffee is quite likely 10g, so if you worry about that kind of thing it becomes silly.

I do now (that is, I scan the Libre), but then I scan several times an hour when I'm not snacking.

Back pre-Libre I usually didn't and that was also the advice at the not-DAFNE course: if the snack is ~10g or so, no need to worry. I think on the basis that the milk in a couple of cups of coffee is quite likely 10g, so if you worry about that kind of thing it becomes silly.
it was more she was saying for any snacks and just give insulin for it without checking blood sugars. that I would not be able to do not without a sensor on anyway.

I wouldn;t correct it it's just more of wanting to know where about knowing where i'm at before injecting myself with insulin. because I said i was 3.8 when I happened to do my 2 hours after eating test if injected at that time while I was handing it down it wouldn't have been great.

I was taking about stacks that require insulin that is bigger than 10g. like 30 etc looks like I've miscommunicated again sorry.

I think you worry that injecting insulin when your levels are a bit low will suddenly take you lower but insulin takes time to be absorbed and start to work and if you are eating a snack straight away then the glucose from the snack will almost certainly hit your blood stream long before the insulin does. For me, I have Fiasp which is a faster acting insulin, but I would have no concern about injecting it when my levels were 4.0 or even 3.8, although my HCPS might not be overly happy with that latter situation, but then if I didn't test before the snack and just injected the insulin and ate it, they would never know. Insulin is slow compared to digestion in most people which is why we have to prebolus and still we usually get a spike before the remaining insulin brings it down. It doesn't suddenly all rush into our blood stream the moment we inject it, so the insulin you inject is not suddenly going to drop you into a hypo. Having an insulin which worked that quickly might be quite the Holy Grail in fact.

I’d probably check just to make sure all was ok. I test automatically and I would usually test before a snack unless it was small or I wasn’t going to bolus for it eg pre-exercise.

I should also say that I would always test before eating a snack but mostly that is because I have a policy about not eating when my levels are above 8.0 as that just leads to high BG and fighting it with corrections to get it back down. Not worth the snack, unless it is a low carb snack that I don't have to think about and won't affect my levels.

I think you worry that injecting insulin when your levels are a bit low will suddenly take you lower but insulin takes time to be absorbed and start to work and if you are eating a snack straight away then the glucose from the snack will almost certainly hit your blood stream long before the insulin does. For me, I have Fiasp which is a faster acting insulin, but I would have no concern about injecting it when my levels were 4.0 or even 3.8, although my HCPS might not be overly happy with that latter situation, but then if I didn't test before the snack and just injected the insulin and ate it, they would never know. Insulin is slow compared to digestion in most people which is why we have to prebolus and still we usually get a spike before the remaining insulin brings it down. It doesn't suddenly all rush into our blood stream the moment we inject it, so the insulin you inject is not suddenly going to drop you into a hypo. Having an insulin which worked that quickly might be quite the Holy Grail in fact.
sometimes Novo rapid can take me can actually take effect quite quickly in me I also noticed that sometimes acts quicker if I've already have insulin active taken in the last few hours this is just what I learnt before, but I think I actually already was going lower that time because it was only at 4 after 15 minutes so my guess was I was heading down when saw it. I know of others that said they wouldn't be comfortable, not testing

i was always told that below 4 was a hypo. i find that usually find when my levels hit 4 it means I'm about to go into one anyway if I don't do something about it. but as I said I think I actually went lower in between the treatment anyway so the insulin cerittly wouldn't have helped it which as sometimes acts quicker with me than other times

I’d probably check just to make sure all was ok. I test automatically and I would usually test before a snack unless it was small or I wasn’t going to bolus for it eg pre-exercise.
i sometimes check before excises and then decided weather I should snack or not based on the number

I should also say that I would always test before eating a snack but mostly that is because I have a policy about not eating when my levels are above 8.0 as that just leads to high BG and fighting it with corrections to get it back down. Not worth the snack, unless it is a low carb snack that I don't have to think about and won't affect my levels.
i'm find with with eating at 8 but I might not want to eat a chocolate bar if I'm 12

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back