Would like to maintain/gain a little weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

PGW

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
Hi all,
I was diagnosed type 2 earlier this year (51 mmol) and following the advice in this forum now have my BG under control.
Bought myself a gluconavii and check what I eat. Have a mix of low carb foods inlcuding oily fish, chicken, vegetables omlettes with cheese etc.

As a result I have lost weight, although I wasnt overweight to start with - always been a bit on the thin side. So now my weight is 55.8KG down from 58.5KG in April this year. My height is 1.69 M and my age is 73.
I would prefer not to lose anymore weight in fact I would like to gain some. So looking for suggestions of diabetic foods to achieve this.
I dont like avocados but have heard that "Greek Style" yogurt might be ok?
Can anyone suggest the best brand to eat and also which fruit to add (not that keen on plain yogurt) also is a 450 gram pot to much in one go?

I had a yeo valley rhubarb yogurt 450G from Tesco yesterday and could happily eat one of those everyday but not sure if it is diabetes friendly.

Anyway I'd welcome your thoughts on this.
Many thanks

Hi all,
I was diagnosed type 2 earlier this year (51 mmol) and following the advice in this forum now have my BG under control.
Bought myself a gluconavii and check what I eat. Have a mix of low carb foods inlcuding oily fish, chicken, vegetables omlettes with cheese etc.

As a result I have lost weight, although I wasnt overweight to start with - always been a bit on the thin side. So now my weight is 55.8KG down from 58.5KG in April this year. My height is 1.69 M and my age is 73.
I would prefer not to lose anymore weight in fact I would like to gain some. So looking for suggestions of diabetic foods to achieve this.
Can anyone suggest the best brand to eat and also which fruit to add (not that keen on plain yogurt) also is a 450 gram pot to much in one go?

I had a yeo valley rhubarb yogurt 450G from Tesco yesterday and could happily eat one of those everyday but not sure if it is diabetes friendly.

Many thanks
Make sure you buy the full fat Greek yogurt 10% and you can add your own berries. I think a 500g pot says 5 servings.
Have you tried avocado made into guacamole, avo + lemon juice+ mayo+garlic+ seasoning, blitz up.
You could have nuts, full fat mayo on salads, boiled eggs.
High protein yoghurts Arla or Brooklea (Aldi) various flavours, Kvarg deserts also low carb

I have real double cream in my morning coffee and lots of cheese and nuts and peanut butter.

I buy the Lidl "Milbona" creamy natural Greek yoghurt and add my own stewed rhubarb from the garden with ginger and cinnamon and a bit of artificial sweetener, or I add defrosted frozen mixed berries to it as suggested above along with mixed seeds and sometimes chopped nuts.

I always have a good knob of butter on my cabbage and plenty of cheese with my cauliflower and I buy sour cream and chive dip from the chilled section and that is really nice with broccoli.

Basically you are looking to increase your fat intake to put weight on without impacting your diabetes.

Er, that yoghurt is 10.9grams of carb per 100gram weight so the 450grams pot = 49grams of carbohydrate. so hardly a small amount unless it was the total carb content of that particular meal.

Absolutely not suitable just for a snack!

Make sure you buy the full fat Greek yogurt 10% and you can add your own berries. I think a 500g pot says 5 servings.
Have you tried avocado made into guacamole, avo + lemon juice+ mayo+garlic+ seasoning, blitz up.
High protein yoghurts Arla or Brooklea (Aldi) various flavours, Kvarg deserts also low carb
Hi,
The Arla yogurts sound good and are easy to get hold of at the big supermarkets. Do you think one 200g pot per day is ok? or is that too much in one go (I could easily eat 2 pots but dont want to overdo it!. I'm thinking one pot a day for a week then checking my weight to see if theres any difference - what do you think?

Hi,
The Arla yogurts sound good and are easy to get hold of at the big supermarkets. Do you think one 200g pot per day is ok? or is that too much in one go (I could easily eat 2 pots but dont want to overdo it!. I'm thinking one pot a day for a week then checking my weight to see if theres any difference - what do you think?
I think you should be ok with 1 pot a day, I find them quite filling so tend to have half a pot at a time.
You could also have Nature valley protein nut bars or KIND or shop own, they are lowish carb 10g or less per bar.

Er, that yoghurt is 10.9grams of carb per 100gram weight so the 450grams pot = 49grams of carbohydrate. so hardly a small amount unless it was the total carb content of that particular meal.

Absolutely not suitable just for a snack!
Totally agree with you, I guess I was just using that yeo valley rhubarb yogurt 450G as a way of saying that I like flavoured yogurt but didnt think it would be a good choice going forward.
But the interesting thing, which suprised me, was that 2 hours after eating the whole 450g pot I did a gluconavii test and it was only 6.9mmol!

Hi,
The Arla yogurts sound good and are easy to get hold of at the big supermarkets.
Might be worth checking out the ingredients list before you decide as the last time I looked at Arla say strawberry Protien yoghurt it has something like 10 ingredients.... including 3? types of sugar. Might be worth buying a standard plain yoghurt and adding the fruit yourself. Much healthier not to say hugely cheaper!

The snag with those Arla protein yogs is that they are very low fat, so any carbs (which are about half of the Yeo Valley) actually be converted to glucose an awful lot quicker than any full fat yog.

Hi all,

Many thanks
When I had a similar problem I was told to eat avocado and nuts.Not eating so many but they soon did the trick and a few pounds went back on. Deep joy.

The snag with those Arla protein yogs is that they are very low fat, so any carbs (which are about half of the Yeo Valley) actually be converted to glucose an awful lot quicker than any full fat yog.
There’s only 6g carb in 100g so it’s hardly going to cause a major bg spike

Hi,
Where can I buy full fat Greek yogurt 10%? the big supermarkets only seem to sell very low or zero fat.
Also what brand do you suggest.

I'd recommend Fage but I haven't seen 10% for a while only 5% I have bought 10% in Waitrose, no doubt other supermakets also do it but only in larger shops. Like with Fage it's genuine Greek yoghurt from Greece so quite expensive think £4.50/kg rather that Greek style at £1.50/kg.

Hi,
Where can I buy full fat Greek yogurt 10%? the big supermarkets only seem to sell very low or zero fat.

They sell all, zero low & full fat, Aldi is cheap with own brand Brookleu, low fat is in light blue tub full fat is in darker blue, we get both as wife uses low fat myself full fat.

Hi,
Asda and Aldi are where I buy mine, slightly prefer the Aldi one.

Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread.
By way of an update I have now got some full fat 10% brooklea greek yogurt so I'll give that a try for the next 7 days and will give you another update with the results (either maintain or increase my current weight.

I also got some of the arla flavoured protein yogurts and they are indeed very tasty - but are probably better as a source of protein rather than anything else so I dont intend to get any more.

But the interesting thing, which suprised me, was that 2 hours after eating the whole 450g pot I did a gluconavii test and it was only 6.9mmol!

Sounds like your body coped really well with that @PGW

If those results are repeated, I think that’s a good indication that your glucose levels can cope fine with that from time to time.

Along with monitoring your weight it might also be worth asking your GP for an interim cholesterol check after a little while, just to see if there has been any impact on your results (different members seem to have different experiences when increasing the fat intake in their menu).

I'd recommend Fage but I haven't seen 10% for a while only 5% I have bought 10% in Waitrose, no doubt other supermakets also do it but only in larger shops. Like with Fage it's genuine Greek yoghurt from Greece so quite expensive think £4.50/kg rather that Greek style at £1.50/kg.
When I got married (the 1st time) in 1971 we lived in Kidderminster and as Waitrose was the only supermarket in town, I shopped there. Yes they always sold Fage Greek yoghurt AND what's more, they sold the sheep's milk one as well as the cow's milk - didn't always have any left in the fridge on Saturday mornings when I had to do my shopping though. Also sold feta cheese too even back then - only thing was, not cut off a large block kept cool under water (or was it brine?) in 'local shops for local people' in the Greek hinterland - in plastic packets like ordinary cheese; how boring! :D Never seen any sheep's milk yog anywhere for years.

Always wondered where the hell these sheep were - never seen one whilst in Greece. Plenty of goats ....

Update.
So over the past 7 days I have eaten 3 x 500g pots of full fat 10% brooklea greek yogurt - about 200g per day with fresh raspberries in addtition to my normal low carb + protein meals.
Result - was hoping to gain a little weight but overall I lost 0.3kg.
I'm suprised!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back