Would appreciate some help please.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Janis Blondel

Relationship to Diabetes
Type 2
I have Type II diabetes and I am presently on Metformin 500mgs daily and Sitagliptin 25mgs daily. I went to see my GP the other day and she told me my diabetes has been well controlled for the last two months with results all within normal limits, as I was there for a fasting blood sugar she told me that if the results were still as good she would consider stopping the Metformin but meantime to stop taking the Sitagliptin. I am delighted with this as I have worked very hard, as we all do to keep my diabetes in control, however since stopping the Sitagliptin my morning blood sugar numbers seem to have gone up. Before when I took my levels int he morning they were usually between 4 and 5 now they have gone up to seven and even eight this morning. I haven't changed anything in my diet, I do have an underactive thyroid, and very bad rheumatoid arthritis so don't get much exercise in but I try to walk around the block with my stick when I can but use a wheelchair mainly to get about. I have heard that sugar levels can spike during the early hours, but I would be grateful for any help or advice. Thank you. :0

A massive well done on getting down to "normal" levels, you should be really proud of yourself.

As it's early days since you came off the Sitagliptin, maybe your body is simply adjusting? If not, possibly look to reducing your carb consumption a bit more? Obviously further exercise isn't an option...you do well to get round the block if you are in pain. Sorry I haven't got any solid advice, but I just wanted say give yourself a huge pat on the back for doing so well 🙂

A massive well done on getting down to "normal" levels, you should be really proud of yourself.

As it's early days since you came off the Sitagliptin, maybe your body is simply adjusting? If not, possibly look to reducing your carb consumption a bit more? Obviously further exercise isn't an option...you do well to get round the block if you are in pain. Sorry I haven't got any solid advice, but I just wanted say give yourself a huge pat on the back for doing so well 🙂
Thank you so much Vonny your reply means so much to me. I think you are right, I have only been off it for a day, I am terrible like that I have to be in control of everything, my poor body never gets a chance to adjust. Your saying give yourself a pat on the back means a lot, don't get me wrong I have two daughters who are very supportive but I don't think anyone who isn't diabetic can know what it's like and it's so easy to let it take over. Once again thank you for taking the time and I will heed your advice. 🙂

Thank you so much Vonny your reply means so much to me. I think you are right, I have only been off it for a day, I am terrible like that I have to be in control of everything, my poor body never gets a chance to adjust. Your saying give yourself a pat on the back means a lot, don't get me wrong I have two daughters who are very supportive but I don't think anyone who isn't diabetic can know what it's like and it's so easy to let it take over. Once again thank you for taking the time and I will heed your advice. 🙂
You may find this link has some useful ideas for reviewing your diet, based on normal healthy foods so should be easier to adapt to family menus. https://lowcarbfreshwell.co.uk/
Going back to basics and keeping a food diary of everything you eat and drink with a estimate of the carbs your are having may help you identify any problem foods or meals.

@Janis Blondel you mentioned you have only just come off the Sitagliptin and are putting your variation of one day down to that.
However, there are many things which can affect our blood sugars which is why the advice is to look for trends and not to react to blips.
This week has been a blood sugar roller coaster for many of us due to the weather.
I don’t think one day during a heatwave should be considered as an indication.

helli you are so right. I am being silly, I suppose I have to give it time, and yes the weather is affecting us all at the moment and my arthritis has flared up to. I just don't want anything to go wrong I have been trying for years to get it under control and now that is has happened I am so scared I make a mess of things. Thank you for your advice, I need to give it time.

helli you are so right. I am being silly, I suppose I have to give it time, and yes the weather is affecting us all at the moment and my arthritis has flared up to. I just don't want anything to go wrong I have been trying for years to get it under control and now that is has happened I am so scared I make a mess of things. Thank you for your advice, I need to give it time.
Your body has to get used to not having the medication that helps regulate insulin production so allow it time to make adjustments but keeping a record so you know what the effect is would help to direct any changes you might need to make.
But do report back to your diabetic nurse if you start to feel unwell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back